- advertisement -

Carb factor for Pamela's

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by mmacys, Feb 20, 2011.

1. mmacys

mmacys Approved members

Does anyone know a carb factor for cooked Pamela's pancake/waffle mix? I am using .35 but think it might be low so thought someone might have figured it out already.

I am actually using my own flour mix because we prefer tp use organic sprouted flours, but it is so similar that feedback on Pamela's would help.

Thanks!

~Michele

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

The one we always use is .237 for pancakes prepared according to the Pamela's package. When we went "by pancake," he had crazy numbers. Now that we use the carb factor, he's much more even afterwards.

3. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

Ok, can you guys explain to me where you get this carb factor and how you use to calculate? We like Pamelas pancakes, but have a hard time dosing accurately.

Thanks

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We started by using the data on the Pamela's packaging to determine the number of carbs of flour in that recipe. Then we add up all carbs in the other ingredients to make one batch.

Then we cook it all and weigh ALL of the food one recipe made.

Then we divide the total amount of carbs in the recipe by the number of grams that recipe made.

When we make anything of that cooked food, we weigh it and multiply it by the carb factor to get the carb count on that prepared serving.

Also, I highly recommend determining how many grams of flour is in one recipe and weighing it each time you make it (rather than scooping it out in a measuring cup.) You'll get a much more accurate result that way.

I did a little blog post on how to determine a carb factor:
    http://remleml.com/thesublurbs/?p=270

Hope that helps.

5. mmacys

mmacys Approved members

Thanks Eileen. We went a little higher this past weekend and he went high, but I am thinking his cold messed with the numbers. He is back on his normal insulin schedule, so I will test this weekend!

Thx again...