- advertisement -

carb counts on GF foods?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Snowflake, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

My almost 4 year old was dxed Type 1 in April 2012, and celiac just a few weeks ago. It took us many months after her T1 diagnosis to memorize the carb counts of her favorite foods. Now it feels a bit like we're starting over.

Is there any good go-to source listing carbs for GF foods? I've read various sources online saying that GF substitutes (e.g., GF bread, GF pasta, etc) tend to be higher in carbs, without defining what that means. I'm having a hard time figuring out accurate counts for anything that she eats that doesn't come out of a box with a nutrition label (e.g., breads from local bakeries, GF pastas at local restaurants, etc). I don't always even know what kind of flour these GF alternatives involve. Any resources much appreciated!

Also, relatedly, has anyone received good nutritionist/dietitian advice from either their endo or GI practices? I don't know who should be our first resource with questions like the one I'm asking here. Our DD's endo and GI clinics are part of the same children's hospital, but we are finding that whenever we ask a dietitian in either clinic a question about our DD's diet, they defer to the dietitian in the other clinic. It seems like the practitioners in both clinics are silo-ed to only focus on the condition they typically work with, which has been frustrating.

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

So I agree...you are starting over.
    For multiple reasons, for us Isaac's stomach was so damaged that prior to his gut healing there were a large amount of foods that we had to dose in an interesting manner (often not at all). We not only had to re-learn based on new ingredients but we also had to relearn to actually give full carb amounts for all food again.
    Take it slow, it is just like a new diagnosis as the foods are new and how they act in your child's gut are different. We found that anything high in rice flour takes longer to digest in Isaac, additionally corn based products need full insulin cover for him prior to completing the meal. For recipes we just started re-doing them all, measuring the different parts, adding and figuring out the carb factor to determine the carbs per serving.
    Does that help? I just wanted to reassure you that it may seem as if you are having to relearn everything and you are and that is okay. It is to be expected. We've found a ton of excellent recipes online and love the Gluten free girls cookbooks along with the cookbook "Cooking for Isaiah"

3. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks, Sarah! I will check out the books you mentioned.

Unless she's eating rice or fruit, most of our carb counts seems to be a wild guess these days.

It sounds like you also had a similar experience to what we're seeing now: we're having a hard time determining if our wild carb count guesses are right, because her insulin needs have shot up dramatically. Last fall, before the celiac diagnosis, we were dealing with persistent, untreatable lows as a result of malabsorption; now it feels like we're always chasing highs.

So with those two wild cards -- not always knowing an accurate carb count and recalibrating her current insulin needs -- we are really flying blind. I appreciate your thoughts about taking it slow. I hung up my apron when we started having kids a few years ago (DH and I both work), but maybe we need to start doing a lot more home cooking and baking...