- advertisement -

carb counting vs calorie counting, fibre and sugar alcohol

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by dk10, Nov 12, 2008.

1. dk10

dk10 Approved members

My daughter is not on the pump, and currently on a fairly low dose of insulin - 9 units a day, of which only 2 units is long acting.

We started initially with trying to figure out calories, and then moved on to carb counting. We found carb counting working well for foods which have 60-70% calories coming from carbs. However, if there's a lot of calories that come from fat (i.e. over 40%), it seems to throw things badly (not immediately, but over several hours). I try to do a backward equation where I equate about 70% of the total calories to approximate the number of carbs that are there in the food. I then ignore the printed carb count, and take the approximation as the carb count. Does this make any kind of sense, or am I just complicating life for all of us?

From some posts, I see that for fibre, there's no need to count calories. Also, for sugar alcohols, count as 1/2 the number of carbs stated for sugar alcohols. Are these two assumptions right?

Any obvious thing I'm missing?

Thank you

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I think you might get some good answers if you post over in the parents of children with type 1 section. This is about carb counting, that's totally legit for over there, and you'll get seen by a lot of people who have done a lot of this before. It also is great if you can post the age and what insulins and delivery you use -- not necessary for every question, but even the one you are asking here would vary a bit depending on if you have a two year old (like me, she has higher blood sugars about 4 hours later from fatty foods) or a 14 year old.

Good luck!

3. dk10

dk10 Approved members

thanks

Thanks for the tip, Lisa. Will do.