- advertisement -

Can't Work because of Child in School

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by FrankieMitts, Aug 31, 2012.

1. FrankieMitts

FrankieMitts New Member

I need some advice or some course of action to take. My son is 4 years old and starting all day kindergarten soon. I tried to talk to the school in June but they didn't think it was a big deal and put it off until the week before school. The principal has informed me that I have to come in twice a day and check my sons glucose level as well as be available all hours in case he needs care or be checked otherwise. I'm a struggling teacher trying to find work and I can't work during the day now because the school will not care for my son nor do they even have any interest in learning emergency care or receiving any kind of diabetic education. We cannnot afford for me to sit around all day waiting to care for him. I can't find a job where I can just get up and leave whenever I have to, that would be absurd. I have no idea what to do. I need to work, but I can't care for my son all day at school either. My husband cannot leave his job and we can't afford for me to stay home. Please help.

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Do you have any other school options?

I am assuming that since this is a four-year-old that this is a private school. Are there any other private schools in your area that you can contact? I know when my son started 3K - I had to call three schools to find one that would take him.

If it is a public school, they are required to provide care, but with a private school the same requirements are not in place. Another option - might be to take your child to a private in-home sitter that would be willing to learn to test blood glucose and give insulin.

I had a wonderful babysitter who kept four children in her home and she was WONDERFUL - even better than the school nurse. You could do this for one year until the child was able to enter a public school. You can certainly ask an in-home sitter to help your child learn to write his letters and his name and colors, even printing lessons off the computer.

It is difficult - but keep exploring more options. Lots of moms here work - I am a teacher too and it was all stressful.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Where are you from? This is key information. :)

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Is this a public school? If so, contact the ADA NOW! A public school, or any school that accepts federal funds, can NOT deny your child, they can NOT make you come in to do the bg checks, give insulin, go on field trips. Its THEIR responsibility to have trained personal to take care of your child while he's at school and any school activitites. They are breaking FEDERAL LAW.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

she may be from Ontario - we have gov't funded all day JK for 3/4 year olds . she also mentioned liters previously. this type of too bad so sad reply from ontario schools is just all too typical . but at least this answer is better than a family I know who was told it was high time for their 3 year old to pick herself up dust herself off and learn how to care for herself.

Kindergarten and junior kindergarten is not mandatory here so your suggestion about alternate childcare is good. Also, I have know of parents who keep their kids in childcare rather than send them to kindergarten for logistical reasons and still get subsidized daycare. Also daycare would be tax deductable

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  6. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

even if it is a private school and they get federal funds for school lunches they have to accomodate for your son's medical well being. Contact the ADA and get someone to help you.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

I personally wouldn't even be giving this school the time of day if they aren't even willing to learn emergency care. Find another school or daycare, considering he's 4. Good luck! :cwds:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How have you managed the work/care situation since dx? Was he in a different preschool?

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Oh, I really hope this isn't an Ontario issue! I so very much want to move back home for September 2013 or September 2014 at the latest, but my son will be in SK or grade 1, and I don't want to face this situation myself.

If you are, indeed, in ON or a place where he will be attending a program at an elementary school, you are in much the same position as I will be in (except I am on leave and have a position to return to). Here's what I plan on doing:

1. I will check with the local school board to see what policies it has in place. If you are lucky, the board that you are in right now does have a decent plan in place that the principal is not aware of.

2. If the local school is not working with us, I will call around to the other schools to see if they are more accommodating and whether they are willing to accept an out-of-area student. Transportation might be an issue, but dealing with that first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon is better than having to be on call all day!

3. If all else fails, I will fight for an out-of-district transfer for him to come to the school at which I teach. I do not really want to go this route as I want to maintain some distance between family and work, but it is far better than the alternative. If and when you find a job, perhaps you can do the same?

Good luck. The situation really stinks!

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

There is hope if she is indeed in Ontario. You can get a CCAC nurse to come in and do the care. I am just really surprised their D team gave them no heads up because this is kind of late in the game to be booking CCAC. (I just didn?t want to jump on explaining this bc we don?t know where she is from)

Here is a blog of a family that went through CCAC http://wecaralot.blogspot.ca/
    Their mandate is to foster independence though so their goal is to teach the child to do their own care by the time it is developmentally appropriate

11. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Does the private school get any federal funding(then they are required to provide care just like a public school). They will try to pretend that they don't but almost all do. It can be as simple as bussing. If the school gets bussing, that is a source of federal funding.