- advertisement -

cant get her bg up!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashleesmommy, Dec 9, 2011.

1. CameronsMom

CameronsMom Approved members

Sorry to hear she's not feeling well. My son had a stomach bug in May 2010 and went low right before he started vomiting. Just make sure you're giving her insulin!! And don't hesitate to call your Endo at any point in time (even at 2am). Our tummy bug landed us in the Pediatric ICU with DKA. Hope she feels better!!

2. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Sometimes with the flu our son will stop absorbing carbs and of course it usually happens after he has eaten. That's probably why you couldn't get her back up. With Tyler we give him G2 without bolusing the entire time he has the flu not only for the carbs but to help with electrolyte imbalance (we use blue. It's easier on the stomach). We check his bg every hour particularly after he eats so that we get a heads up when it's starting to happen. Then we back off to 1/4 of a bolus until he's better and leave the basal alone. He will usually start slowly absorbing again. It's just constant checking. Including every two hours at night. The first time this happened I didn't know about it and it scared me to death. Now I know and it was better this time around. Those hourly checks let you treat as you go and take one day at a time. Ketones are usually starvation ketones. If they become large and she cannot eat or keep fluids down it's time to call it a day and go in. Call your doctors office and ask them about glucagon usage if necessary in small amounts. Honestly, if I got to that point I would rather take him in and have them hang some dex because of the side effects of glucagon. I would keep in touch with your endo if you have not experienced this before because we are not doctors and YDMV. Good luck!

3. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I did end up getting the script for zofran. After taking it, she has felt much better and hasn't thrownupsince this morning. But, the cde had me give her a correction bolus of 3 units! Her pump only suggested giving like0.3. She said we needed to give 20% of her tdd to clear the ketones...well ketones did clear, now we've been feeding the insulin since about 40 minutes after I gave the shot at 1pm.She kept dropping and I kept giving her ginger ale, then gatorade, crackers. Thankfully she was able to tolerate everything, otherwise big red would prob had to be used! Then another 30 minutes or so ago 48. This is after pixie stick, some nerds (refused glucose tabs b/c of last nights situation. Then gave gatorade and mixed more powder gatorade into it to have more carbs. She's up to 74 with about an hour of insulin on board. Insulin has been suspended for an hour and a half now. Do you think that correction was a bit overboard or is that necessary?? I looked in the diabtes manual we got from the hospital and it said to give 10% of tdd for small to med ket and 15% for large. Just seems like this could have been a real emergent situation! Now she's back down to the 50's. When would you give a mini glucagon shot? Just had her drink some juice, but all this stuff is making her tummy hurt :(

*just did the calculation, it was 15% of her tdd

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Every child is different. If it appears to be too much then it probably is. I don't do the glucagon feed thing so I don't recall what our endo said. Our son was fourteen at the time and is now 17 so there's a big difference in age, wt, size. If I felt like he needed that I would head in for some dex before I did that. I know people do it and it works. I'm just not wanting to do that unless it literally is a last resort. If you think she's going low then start treating. I really don't feel comfortable saying much other than what we have experienced with our son because every child is so different. I will say that the second time around was a lot easier. This is learning moment for you so it's a crap shoot. If you're not sure I would call your endo.