- advertisement -

cant get her bg up!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashleesmommy, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I have no clue as to what the heck is going on here!! It started at around 9:30 when her Cgm went off showing 60's, bg 46. Gave her 3 glucose tabs and rechecked 20 min later, 53. Gave her 2 more glucose tabs and checked after 15 min, 54. Gave her 2 more glucose tabs, thinking we are going to pay for this later...69. Getting better. 1 more glucose tab and 20 min later 65! Now we are heading the wrong direction. #@%&. Gave her another tab, must have dozed of and just checked her after 30 min, 59. Now she's pissed that I tried shoving another dang tab in her mouth (don't blame her, poor girl!!). I suspended her insulin about 2 hrs ago!! What is going on? Im not sure she'll any more glucose tabs, I'm hoping she'll be on her way up. I checked her last bolus, which was at 8pm, and I bolused correctly. Thank God for this Cgm!! We'll see how this goes...

2. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Yikes. Sounds like our morning. Sucks when lows are stubborn like that. We don't pump, so I hope someone who does can help with that (I thought one mom finally pulled the site b/c her dd kept going low even with it suspended, but that was a couple months back.) I hope she gets back up and stays up there!

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Was she more active than normal today?

Sounds like what sometimes happens to my dd after a day of extra physical activity. Muscles are pulling glucose to ...ack, what's the word?...rebuild. (not the right one but all I can think of at this hour).

I'd be watching for her numbers to start to go up and go up dramatically after all that glucose and a 2 hour basal suspension. I truly hope I'm wrong. :eek:

4. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

I suspect you will be right, w had this same exact thing happen, although it was at school, morning hours. Couldn't get above 70, let alone 50-60 ish. Got home from school and she its up past 350.

Good luck, I hate those suborn lows...I also agree it may have been activity?

5. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Sometimes we get that too than all the sudden it all almost catches up it seems and we shoot sky high. Maybe try a different type of carb as those might not be absorbing well for some reason

6. ashleesmommy

Well, I just finished cleaning up throw up from myself and bed. She stayed in the 80's for about another hour and now she's at 273. (Figured that would be coming, eventually!) Only 0.3 ketones. What do you think, she vomited b/c she's got a tummy bug or eating too many glucose tabs?? Does this low bg thing happen before or during illness? She says she feels fine, but I'm going to keep her home. I think we both could use the rest. She didn't have any extra activity/exercise today other than her usual.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

A bug can cause lows as they can affect asorbation of carbs ect... May just be too much glcouse tabs too though as those really upset Olivia's tummy

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

She could have vomited from too many tabs....she also may have been coming down with some kind of bug that effected the way her body absorbs the carbs which caused the low bgs.

Hope she feels better today.

9. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

For us, low bgs are the first sign of an illness. Hope she's feeling better!

10. ashleesmommy

Thank you all...she threw up again, so I guess its a tummy bug...ugh! Ketones are coming up. We haven't had to deal with a real tummy bug yet, so I'm hoping it doesn't go from bad to worse!

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Try having her sip some gingerale with carbs...this may help keep away starvation ketones and keep her bgs up.

Good luck! Hope she feels better soon.

12. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Sorry to hear :( it seems to be going around everywhere lately...

Hope she is better soon! Keep us posted for sure!

13. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

lows before and after an illness for us and high blood sugars during an illness.

14. ashleesmommy

Zofran

Still vomiting, ketones 1.6. Called endo, they said to give emetrol. I asked about prescribing zofran, they said primary care provider has to prescribe it. Just talked to them and they want her to go in to be seen since she hasn't been in for about two years and she said that would be neglegent and not good medical care, which I can understand. Problem is we live about 45 min away. I have a prescription here with me that I never got filled for 80 mg. what would you do??

15. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Tummy bugs for us always start out w/ lows that just won't budge. I would try to get the zofran, and have her sip on anything with carbs in it (soda, gatorade, pedialyte, juice, popsicles, jello, hard candies, etc) - it's a crazy balancing act between not lowering basals too much (need some insulin for those nasty ketones), getting carbs in, and keeping them down.
    For one nasty bug I had to set a timer for 5-10 minutes and have her sip a shot glass of gatorade when it went off. It was like "power hour" for the elementary school set. Unfortunately, it lasted well over an hour. We were able to stick it out at home, but looking back, it would have been SO much easier to have her admitted and get some iv fluids and meds (and some sleep!!). I don't know why I was so against going to the ER - live and learn.
    Hope this passes quickly and she's feeling better soon!!

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If the Rx is still good and you had it for when needed for during sickness I would get it filled and give it before a 45minute car ride.

But that is just me. I have done the kids puking in the car and I was almost in a couple of accidents on the way over.

The whole RX is for 80mg, like the whole bottle right and the dose is something more like 4mg every 8hrs?

17. ashleesmommy

They are actually 8 mg tablets..And she won't take anything for me to to bolus her for. Ketones 2.5, BG 214. Waiting to hear back from endo :(

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  18. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry this is happeneing.

Why not give the emetrol?

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would tell the endo you have a Rx and just want to make sure the dose is still right? Do you have the emetrol?? never used that just the Zofran but if she is not taking anything then in those ketones will just rise.

You can bolus for that 214 or do a temp basal to bring it down while you get her feeling better.

My non d was just puking yesterday and 1 dose of Zofran stopped the cycle and got us to a much better place.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm sorry :( I was thinking either exercise or the stomach flu... :(