- advertisement -

Can't believe I went the wrong way!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Connor's Mom, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

After doing the nightly tests at 1:00am and 3:00am I decided that I would decrease Connor's basal rate at those times because he was low 2 nights in a row. Yesterday before he went to bed I made the changes. I was very tired, I had a headache and his older siblings were not helping matters. My husband is working in Bahrain right now and I was also feeling lonely with the long weekend. I wanted to decrease the rate but, I went up by .025. I woke up at midnight breathing heavy, not sure why and then the image of the pump and the number slammed into my mind. I rushed into his room and tested him he was 51. I grabbed a soda and had him drink half, I knew he wasn't done dropping. I grabbed his pump and checked the basal rates and I had indeed hone the wrong way. I corrected my error and went to my room and cried. When I retested he was 159. He ws 139 at 3;00am and 119 at 6:20am. I am thankful everything was ok but, I am so angry with myself for the mistake. Once when he was on MDI I drew out Lantus instead of Novolog when I ws overly tired. I freaked out when I called the Endo. After that I had alway told myself, "Don't dose insulin tired." he could have been hurt and it would have been my fault.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The truth be told: as a parent, we are a lousy pancreas.

I have gotten to the point that I don't make quick changes and not when I am tired or not thinking well.

You learn as you go along and you have learned when not to make changes. You realized what you did and corrected it. Your son is fine.

Take a deep breath, note what went wrong, and move on.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well, it's a good thing you woke up and were able to correct your mistake. Your son is fine. :)

Don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes - the thing to do is learn from every one of them.. :cwds:

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This. Lather, rinse, repeat till it becomes part of your brian. :cwds:

5. Connor's Mom

Yes, I did correct it and yes he is fine but, it is hard not to dwell on it. The only thing he remembered was me poking his finger kind of rough because I was in a hurry to find out what he was. He doesn't remember the soda or the other tests through out the night. I know it's not my first mistake and won't be my last. I guess it was just at a bad time.:( Today's a new day with new tests and doses to be made. Onward we go.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Don't get upset with yourself over it... BG will go the wrong way on its own a lot more often than we do. Your instinct to test in the middle of the night was good. It's good to test overnight, every night, because a 51 can happen even if you do everything by the book.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Aw, hon, I'm sorry you had such a long night. Do your best to shake it off and move on to the next one.

8. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Don't beat yourself up... he is well. It is amazing what our subconscious helps us with.

I changed all of Mann's I:C last week, I wanted to raise them instead I lowered them. :cwds:

9. Connor's Mom

Thank-you so much for your supportive words! It is hard doing this by myself right now.:cwds:

10. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I am so sorry you went through this! But, you did catch it - your brain caught it, made you wake up, you caught his BG in time and treated it. We just can't help being tired sometimes, and it sounds like you have a ton on your plate. As much as not dosing tired makes sense, sometimes we can't avoid it. Please go easy on yourself.

11. Connor's Mom

Thanks again for all the support. Connor has decided to be "more independent" and was in the middle of changing his site and cartridge after lunch when I came back into the room. He had suspended, removed the old site, rewound the pump and removed the old cartridge. He had the needle attached to the new cartridge and inserted into the insulin when I found him. Together, we finished the change and all was well but, had I been out of the room 5 more minutes I am not sure what he would have done. Holy smokes this has been a rough weekend.