- advertisement -

Candy and not a pumper... help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BCmom, Nov 17, 2010.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

I know there is a thread on this that has just been posted, but how do you handle candy when not pumping?
    I caught Em sneaking candy yesterday... UGH!!! I "lectured " her, probably what I shouldn't have done. But I explained the dangers of misleading me... me upping her insulin when I think her body needs are changing... and then her probably crashing because it isn't what her body actually needed butbecause of the candy.... lalala...

She is not on the pump and does NOT want to pump.

So my question is do you actually ever give extra injections to your child to allow them to eat candy?? And I don't mean allow small amounts of candy that don't need extra insulin, I mean a larger amount that would need extra insulin. And I don't mean a desert like cake or icecream... I mean candy... pure sugar and junk and yuk? Or do you use only sugarfree candy? And if you do have you found one that actually tastes good??

She is on NPH/ Humulog in AM
    Humulog for dinner
    Levemir for bed

I am sorry I haven't been here a lot. But I get a bit depressed, listening to all the pumpers and how great it is and having a young teen who doesn't want to use an insulin pump at all..... and I am aware I need to totally back off not mention it etc... and wait for her to come to me with the idea.. But in the mean time it is hard to be here.

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi - what we do is allow him up to two snack size bars and count it in with lunch or dinner carbs. The other day he wanted like three, i said no way, you didnt have that much BEFORE d your are not having it now!! If she does want some and you are not preparing for a meal, yes, she would need another shot. I try to put the candy out of sight... for us alot of the time out of sight, out of mind... but if not, it is with a meal and added in with carb count for meal.

Oh, and I bet the sugar free candy is NOT carb free ... so she would have to probably dose for that as well.

Good luck,

Kathy

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If we were on MDI, I would give my child extra injections to allow them to eat candy. Why not?

A lot of sugar free candy has as many or more carbs than "regular" candy. And it always tastes worse. That's not your solution.

I wouldn't let her eat bucketloads of candy, but sure. If she wants some candy sometimes, give her the extra shot.

ETA: If she is happy on shots, there's no reason for you to be stressed that she doesn't want to pump.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If she's willing to have the extra injection, let her.. if not, build it into a meal somehow.

5. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

I must say, I am very lax with my kids and their snacking. As long as they are eating 3 healthy meals a day, I let them snack when they want. Now OI have 3 growing boys (10, 12 and 14), so they can eat ALOT!!! But they are all very thin (you can count their ribs!!) I feel that unless weight becomes an issue, they can snack all they want. I provide healthy choices - there is always plenty of fruit in our house, as well as veggies and dip. But if they want potato chips, or some Oreos, or some of their Halloween candy, I let them have it! And that goes for my D son, who is MDI - he knows he can eat whatever he wants as long as he takes the insulin for it. He has had times where he has given himself 3 shots in an hour and a half because he was so hungry - he would snack, and want more in a half hour. Again, a growing boy with no weight issue - I say "Let him eat!" :)

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

We are also MDI, but have only been dx since Sept. We can't say we will for sure be moving to the pump; we see pros and cons.

We have not yet dosed for any snacks. We just have small uncovered snacks and eat appropriately sized meals.

Yes we do allow candy with meals sometimes. Just like before dx we allowed candy with meals sometimes - more now that we are in the wake of Halloween. We never did nor do we now allow a lot of candy.

I imagine we will be dosing for snacks soon. If candy does not cause her numbers to go haywire when eaten as a snack and dosed then occasionally we will do that. If the numbers do go bad then we will try having a dosed snack with candy as a part of it.

Before dx we allowed small amounts of candy as snacks, but really just a little more than would be allowed now un-dosed.

Since dx we have attempted to make sure that life contains a lot of fun things that don't depend on food. We have downplayed food and played-up other fun. We have split "popcorn and pizza and movie night" into "pizza night" and "movie and popcorn night". We copied the schools candy buyback by pretending that the "great pumpkin" would visit and leave a present in place of a large container of Halloween candy. She loves the Pillow Pet that she received and her brother even wanted in on the action and traded a bunch of his candy in - though he wanted cash.

I don't think you should feel guilty or like you are depriving your child for saying no to something that was bad for her before and is more difficult to manage and still bad for her now. As parents we have to do what is best for our kids even when they don't like it; and I think our kids feel more loved because they know we are willing to do what is hard for us too.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I have noticed too that the sugar free stuff,like weight watchers or russell stover, has more carbs than candy with good old sugar. Everything in moderation. Let her have some candy. We still have halloween candy so I do a little of each, that is some included with lunch,some just as a separate snack, and yes an extra shot for that. My daughter (non D) is allowed to have a few of her Halloween candies,so I allow my son to as well. And btw he does NOT want a pump either. He is totally against it and wants to stick with the humapen for meals/corrections and the syringe for Lantus. Nothing wrong with not having and not wanting a pump.

ETA: About the sugar free candy,not only does it taste bad, we did try some and it gave all of us stomach cramps. No bueno!

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Let me throw this out there: Is it possible that she is feeling constrained by her NPH regimen? I am assuming that she eats a set number of carbs at meals and snacks. Would she be happier going to a "true" regimen of MDI?

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven is on MDI for over 6 years now and he has regular candy. I think if you wanted to just let your daughter have that for a snack its fine. Some kinds are better then others, milk chocolate, anything with peanuts is usually ok (peanut brittle of course is high in sugar) Maybe giving some milk to slow the carbs down a bit would work and just bolus for what shes going to eat.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh is still on MDI. We allow her to have candy (regular stuff, not sugar free). We just have her eat it with a meal. Example for us is after Ashleigh went trick or treating she picked 4 or 5 of her favorite candies/treats. We didn't tell her to do this, she did it all on her own. She gave the rest of the candy to me:D. I ended up putting a candy in her lunch every day.

So far she's been fine with waiting until a meal to eat the candy. But i guess if she really wanted the candy, and couldn't wait for a meal, doing an extra injection would be fine. If Ashleigh was fine with taking the extra shot, then i'd be fine with it too.

11. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

My DS is MDI and we do it with meals. Before he went trick or treating I layed out the ground rules for him (this was our first Halloween since dx). He was allowed to pick out 60 pieces (fun size) of candy after he got back. It went in a bag at the top of my cupboard where he couldn't get to it without me noticing what he was doing. :D Every night for the month of November he is allowed to pick 2 things from that bag to eat with dinner. Those are the rules, he can not ask for candy any other time and he is guaranteed those 2 pieces every night no matter how much dinner he ate. So far it has worked great for us. He's not sneaking candy like he was prior to dx, he's still eating a good amount at dinner, and I can bolus for it accordingly. And best of all we don't have fights about how he wants it for a snack. My DS will ALWAYS take an extra injection if it means he can have something sweet but I find his numbers are much better if we don't do that so I try to keep those things to meals.

12. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

As a teen who is choosing not to pump, totally within her ability to make that choice, I think she should be able to choose whether or not she snacks within reason. I would apply the "If my child did not have diabetes, how would I feel about this?"

Having one child with D and one without, I do restrict candy from both of them...because of timing, ratio of healthy to unhealthy snacks, etc.

If she wants to snack and is willing to take the shot, I'd let her. If she doesn't want the shot, then non carby snacks would be the way to go.

13. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

Ri eats candy we were actually told not to have her eat the sugar free stuff cause it still has carbs doesnt taste all that great and can give you a tummy ache. It does give her a bad belly ache. So we give insulin for well carbs weather candy food or drinks.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son is on MDI and has no interest in pumping. Whenever he snacks, he boluses for it. I'm not a huge fan of candy - never had been even before D - but I don't restrict it. My philosophy is that if you make something forbidden, they'll just want it more. ;)

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When we were on MDI, we would either incorporate candy into her meal, use it as her free (15g) snack or would give her a shot for it. It wasn't often, but it did happen (especially when we were at Disney).

I strongly suggest you not give your child SF candy (other than maybe gum, hard candy or small amounts of licorice). It can be very hard on the gastro system, especially young ones. IMO it's like giving a kid exlax!

16. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

BTW one Reese Peanutbutter cup, regular size is only 9.7 carbs. And if you ask me, taste like heaven.

17. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

My daughter doesn't want to pump either so you're not alone.

As to your question, I pretty much let her eat as she would before dx as long as she's willing to take the shot for it. Sometimes she'll think about it and decide it's not worth it. But she runs on the low side a lot so most days she does an excuse for having candy. Once in a while she'll ask for one "just to have it" and I let it go.

18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If they are willing to take a shot yes. I would prefer they have it during a meal then just add the carbs, but if they really want it right then I would as a once in a while treat. Not diabetes related, I wouldn't let him have a bunch of candy often D or no D. :cwds: Not saying you would:cwds:

19. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thank-you!

Until yesterday, a candy treat was only allowed with meals. And a chewy non chocolate treat only for lows. I really had never thought about letting her have candy outside of those "rules". So we talked it over and she agreed that when she really wanted (craved) more candy she would ask for an extra injection. I honestly don't know why I never thought about doing this before. We had done extra injections for icecream and cake.... but never candy. and giving her some milk with it is a good idea too.

Sometimes I need you to tell me the obvious..:rolleyes:

20. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Congratulations on this!

I also want to let you know that although sometimes pumping might seem like what "everyone is doing" I congratulate you on being able to do something I was never able to do -- figure out how to make a regimen with NPH work for my dd. Really-- I really wish I could have mastered it! So good work.

I think it is terrific that you are working within what your child wants (not to pump) now and are making changes in her regimen to accomodate. I think it is what we all strive for :cwds:.