- advertisement -

Canadians and the H1N1 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by taylor'smom, Oct 21, 2009.

1. taylor'smom

taylor'smom Approved members

With the approval of the H1N1 Vaccine in Canada today, are there any Canadians on board for this? It's all very confusing! I can honestly say I sway back and forth, still on the fence. Thoughts?

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

We think most of us in our family have already had H1N1, but we'll be getting vaccinated anyways. Better safe than sorry. We get all vaccinations, always. The one exception was 2 years ago when we somehow missed DD's flu shot - she got sick as a dog and that flu marked the end of her honeymoon.

3. Leece

Leece Approved members

We will be getting ours. We get all vacc's too. We all had our flu shot last Thursday which didn't really help since we all have the flu now. Left it too late this time.

4. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

We're not getting it. We're lucky to homeschool which allows us to limit exposure and we'll use other approaches to protect ourselves from it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've been exposed to a lot of sick people, not sure what they had, they were all whiney, "said" they had the flu, but I'm not getting any vaccines

6. Bill

Bill Approved members

we're confused as well. We have never had flu shots in the past, but this is the first flu season with a diabetic child... The questions we have been debating include: do all of us get the immunization or just the kids? Do we get both types of flu shots? Or do we attempt to protect ourselves via lifestyle choices (e.g., food, lower stress, avoiding areas of high flu concentration)?

We are leaning toward having the H1N1 flu shot, but not the Type A/B flu shot. I am very interested in hearing what others are thinking about...

7. brad

brad Approved members

nope

Too many unanswered questions with the H1N1 vaccine, even more unanswered questions about the virus. Many reports peg the current version of the virus as being quite inert.

No vaccine in our house, we've never had the flu shot and likely will not have H1N1 vaccine as the seasonal flu shot has not provided additional immunity for people in most cases.

B.

8. teacherone

teacherone Approved members

interesting...

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I'm waffling too. Aaron's healthy as a horse and I let him skip the flu shot last year but this one seems more severe in young people and that gives me pause. Also we have two 80+ year-old parents in town and I'd hate to be responsible for their illness. Still, I'm conflicted about all flu vaccines and especially this one.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We're planning on getting them.

11. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

we will be passing on this also

12. momofMEN

momofMEN Approved members

We also home school and are not getting the shot...we don't get the regular flu shot either.

13. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We ALWAYS get the flu shots and are planning to be in the front of the line on Monday when it is released.

Like others have said, we are not certain whether we have had it already or not, but it is far better to be safe than sorry with this one. Don't kid yourselves - this is serious. Very good friends of ours had their non-D daughter in the hospital because she was so sick. I could not imagine what that would do to our D daughter.

14. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

we have been exposed to H1n1 flu, but no one has had it.

Unless you count stuffy noses and sore throat as it.

We received the reg flu shot...

I am on the fence with this too....I probably am leaning more to getting it than not.

we do the flu shots and it is made by the same company....but just in case you go first...:cool: I don't mind be last in line

15. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I don't know of anyone who isn't taking it seriously. We're all doing what we think is best for our kids.

16. murf

murf Approved members

I also find myself questioning this vaccine. Not enough info about it and not sure if I want my ds to be a guinea pig.
    Anybody else's teen out there needing more basal at night. My son keeps going high through the night. He is receiving 0.65 units per hour from midnight to ten a.m. It seems like he has to be bumped back to ten p.m. with this amount of units. I have been told that most kids require less basal at night.

17. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey, welcome aboard! :)

Whenever DD has a growth spurt she needs more basal starting around 9 pm through till morning.. :cwds:

18. murf

murf Approved members

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your reply also.
    I have been getting contradicting views.

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

On the news tonight, a family in our region of Ontario just lost their teenaged son to H1N1:
    http://www.680news.com/news/headlines/more.jsp?content=20091026_233508_9428#at

He was in perfect health, a hockey player. Came down with it on the weekend, visited a walk-in clinic, was sent home and seemed on the mend, he collapsed yesterday and passed away the same day.

Saturday a girl passed away in eastern Ontario as a result of H1N1.

These families did not have a chance to vaccinate, as the vaccine is just being rolled out now across Canada. Flu incidence is spiking upwards in Ontario, and is already at levels above the peak seen in many flu seasons.

Simple personal hygiene measures are crucial, but above and beyond those measures vaccination offers the best "insurance" at preventing the worst potential personal and societal consequences of this flu epidemic.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  20. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Thanks for posting this Wilf, it has been rampant on the news today and hits close to home. Our doctor's office is running a clinic next week and we will be getting our vaccine there.