- advertisement -

Can you wait until you get off my bus before worrying about your Diabetes please?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JeremysDad, Apr 11, 2011.

1. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Yes, you read right. That's what the bus driver told Jeremy today on his way back from school. He was feeling a little low so he took out a pack of fruit-snacks. Then other kids saw and wanted some so Jeremy explained why he was eating them. The bus driver did not like that at all and told Jeremy to "stop eating on my bus!!". "It's for my Diabetes. My blood sugar is low" exclaimed Jeremy, trying not to attract more attention to himself then he already has.

"It does not matter. Your Diabetes will need to wait until you get home. No eating on my bus".

What a great idea!! The next time Jeremy feels low, he will just put his Diabetes on a temporary hiatus for, say, a week or until the time is right and circumstances are convenient for all concerned, before he pulls out a snack.

No, we haven't called the bus company yet. My wife and I need to calm down a bit first. We will be calling tomorrow morning.

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Does your 504 mention that he has the right to have snacks on the bus? I'd be meeting the bus driver face to face.

3. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

OMG!:eek: Sorry this happened, and maybe calming down is best...but you have WAY more power than I do... I would have been at the school/bus garage/bus driver's front door ASAP !! I hope the driver is reprimended for this action if he knew ahead of time that your son was T1D.. And, did Jeremy go ahead and eat the snack, or listen to what the bus driver said....may I ask....?

4. JeremysDad

No 504. None needed. We have received nothing but complete cooperation from school. I much prefer a little chat with the bus company first before thinking about a 504. I think he was a newer bus driver. The original one is fully aware of Jeremy's needs.

If we need to complete a 504, we certainly will but again, our school district and up to now, the bus company, have been very accommodating to our needs.

5. JeremysDad

I do not think he knew, being a relatively new driver. Jeremy had already eaten most of the snacks anyway so all was well. He tested 90 (on the non-lite strips) when he got home after 15G of snacks.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The very best time to get a 504 is when everyone at your school is cooperative and accommodating. :)

7. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Ok...that makes more sense then. Im glad he treated his low though. TO me, once in a while, our D kids have to stand up to non-knowning adults and listen to their gut instinct.

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

This is exactly what I was thinking..:D

9. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

That's what I was just typing.

I think this sort of thing is the what many would say is the reason to have a 504, in case things stop going smoothly,the 504 will ensure things get back on track ASAP.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

ditto the others - get a 504 because even when things are going well, as you just learned, a new person comes into the equation and can instantly ruin a good thing.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, this might not be a reasonable thing to say, but if I'm treating a low and somebody tells me to stop, I point out that the consequences of not treating this low could involve passing out or having a seizure, and that I'll be their responsibility if that happens. I'm not a fan of telling people the worst possible situations with D, but it tends to make people let you keep treating your low, which I consider to be a medical necessity, so... :eek:

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Had the bus driver been informed of Jeremy's diabetes?

13. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

A 504 isn't a punishment for the school, it's a safety net for your son.

I always tell my daughter to do what she needs to do, and I'll worry about what happens after that.

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yes yes yes yes !!!!

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

The first year he was dx'd, the bus driver tried to make a similar argument when my son pulled out a juice box to drink. I called his supervisor, who ALSO stated that no food/drink was allowed as it would start a trend of everyone wanting to do so. :eek: I told him it was for a medical condition and that he wasn't sitting there eating a Big Mac! :rolleyes: I spoke to HIS supervisor, who was completely apologetic and there was never an issue again.

Now every September I make sure to meet the bus driver and confirm that they know what's going on. There hasn't been any issues since that one time.

It's important the bus driver is aware of your son's D in the unlikely event something happens.

16. txmom

txmom Approved members

Another bus story.....

This is a non-D related bus story, but your story brought back the memory (and made me mad all over again).

When Grant was in 1st grade he took the bus to and from school. He usually arrived home at 3:40. I arrived home from work at 4:15 and asked where he was, my H calmly replied that he wasn't home from school yet. YIKES! I jumped back in my car and raced down the driveway to meet Grant walking up the driveway. Grant was red faced and very sweaty - Texas in August is usually about 105.

I asked what happened, the bus driver missed his stop so told Grant to get off at the next stop which was 1.42 miles away (yes, I measured it before I called the school). Grant wasn't sure he knew the way home but thought he did - he told this to the driver!!!!!

Many apologies followed later that day and strict instructions to keep him on the bus and return him to the school and call me if you miss his stop.

Yep, I'm still mad about it and Grant is 16 now.

17. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I would have a 504 if Jesus was the Principal.

The bus driver doesn't know much about diabetes. Without a 504 there is no requirement that he know anything. A 504 comes into play at a lot of times that have nothing to do with the faculty being considerate. Standardized tests, field trips, sports, the list goes on and on of times a 504 prevents confusion and keeps your child safe.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Love your opening :D

In our experience, bus drivers fell into a grey zone as for as the 504 was concerned. It made the world of difference to approach them directly and to ask for their support in keeping Maddie safe and even though it was "against the rules" they all kept an emergency roll of tabs and a juice box in their glove compartment just incase she was out. But, if Maddie had just started to eat or drink without our having had the conversation ... she would have been told in no uncertain terms to put it away.

19. suz

suz Approved members

Good for your son in doing what he needed to do!

It's in our 504 that the school nurse is responsible for contacting the transportation department and arranging training for the bus driver.

K's old bus driver was awesome, kept a very close eye on him and totally 'got it'. However, last week he got a new driver without me being informed and before she was trained, K's Dex alarmed, he did a finger poke and was over 200. She told him to eat a candy. He knew better, but she insisted. Needless to say I was relieved when I heard she was having training!

It's tough when our little one's KNOW better, but they don't want to go against what a grown up in charge tells them to do!

20. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

When Ab rode the bus, we had a baggie with juice, glucose tabs and crackers along with her picture and name taped to the driver's seat area. This was for back up in case she forgot her backpack or someone stepped on her juice, etc. You really need that 504, this could be a good conversation starter with the school as to why you are ready to request one.