- advertisement -

Can you spare a $1?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, May 27, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Every time i am at a store checkout, i am asked if i want to donate a dollar to x. I really wish jdrf would do the same. Maybe jdrf has done this before and I have never noticed, but I keep thinking $1 from millions o f people would really benefit research. Not everyone will seek jdrf to make a donation, but $1 while shopping is not a big deal.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Stop&Shop, a supermarket chain does a JDRF sneaker donation drive and CVS, the pharmacy, does one as well. (We are in CT.)

3. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

While we were still in the hospital during diagnosis last year, my SIL was asked to donate to JDRF (may have been a diff. Type 1 org.) at a store and she donated like $30. Cashier was surprised and she explained the timeliness of it. I've come across a variety but not JDRF.

4. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My local grocery store occasionally has the JDRF sneakers

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Walgreens has the sneakers fundraiser here in Virginia.

6. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

Build a Bear Workshop donates to JDRF in November of every year :)

7. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Russell Stover candies donates to JDRF. I did a project on Russell Stover and they told me their main research company they donate to is JDRF. Everytime you buy sugar free candy, they donate money.

8. kyle and ryans mom

kyle and ryans mom Approved members

Wawa does it here in Delaware

9. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

I am glad to hear that although we don't have it locally (that I know of) that at leAst its done somewhere.

Yes build a bear has done this, however, I remember purposely going into build a bear and asking if I could donate and the cashier did not know what I was talking about. DD purchased a bear that day and when she was having it stuffed we saw purple hearts at the stuffing machine and when I asked the girl there at least she knew what they were for and said that they were an extra dollar and proceeds would go to diabetes. We have since gotten a few bears with special purple hearts.

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Add Advance Auto parts to that list -

11. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Hy-Vee (a Midwestern grocery chain) does this for JDRF annually.

12. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Portrait Simple also does a fall fundraiser photo contest

13. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Moe's Southwest has JDRF donations (in New Jersey) as does Quik Chek convenience stores in Somerset County New jersey (I believe the owner of that particular franchise has a child with T1). They also provide the sub sandwiches for the JDRF walk in Hunterdon/Somerset Counties NJ.

14. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

TOPS, a regional supermarket, has little piggy banks for JDRF at each register most of the time, and does the JDRF sneaker campaign every spring.

15. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I know food lion used to do it (idk if they still do)

I remember they were doing a fund raiser and when they asked my mom she said "No thanks, I spend enough on diabetes as is" :eek: thanks mom!

16. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

I ate at Moe's (in CO) this weekend. They had JDRF printed on their drinking cups. :) Also, Walgreen's, GoodTimes burgers, and Murdoch's, a ranch supply store, do an annual drive for JDRF.

17. Daddyto4

Daddyto4 Approved members

They also advertise on TV for direct donations. Carol BURNETT, I think, speaks for them.

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, right decade (70's) but wrong person -- it's Mary Tyler Moore. ;) And actually I haven't seen a MTM JDRF ad in quite some time, but I know she is still active with JDRF.

19. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

I live in NJ and our loacal Stop & Shop was collecting for JDRF. They had the sneakers near the registers and hanging up, but every time I went in they never asked if I wanted to donate. I tried to pay attention to other cashiers in other lanes and not once did I hear any of them ask for anyone to donate. I was so mad by the time I got home I called the store and spoke with the manager to complain that nobody asked if I wanted to donate. I told him my son and sister in law have type 1 and I was very upset, and they should tell the cashiers they need to ask. And guess what? I wasn't asked the next time I went in. Go figure.

20. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

It really bugs me when I am asked every time I get to the cash register of what seems like every store I go into to donate to one cause or another because I wind up feeling guilty and sometimes judged for not contributing. I support JDRF and would love it if cashiers talked it up so that everybody who walks into Stop & Shop was compelled to donate, but I don't feel the same way about other charities, and I know others don't feel the same way about JDRF.

In general I would rather have the store display the sneakers, ribbons, balloons, etc. prominently at each register with information about the charity and allow people to make their own choices. Charity reps could set up a booth with more information and to drum up support if they chose. I would be okay if "Do you want to donate $1 to...?" came up on the screen when I was using my credit or debit card, too.