- advertisement -

Can you solve this medical mystery?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KatieJane'smom, Nov 10, 2010.

1. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

Could the bruises be from you scratching? I know I have gotten bruises on my legs from scratching too hard due to a rash.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

You can get the rash biopsied to see if it's celiac. I hope it's not :( I'm itching just reading this....

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I sincerely hope I am wrong too...Brusing was int he article too. Did you see it?:( I worry about myself and celiac sometimes but It's kinda like I don't want to know. As a kid I was on a VERY restricted diet due to a LOT of food intollerances:eek::(

4. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I know what you mean! My twins were allergic to eggs, wheat, and milk for several years and wheat was the hardest challenge. It just seems to be in SO many things. *sigh* I'll call the doc in the morning and see about an appt. Here is the part that really has me concerned:
    Symptoms of malnutrition and vitamin or mineral deficiencies include: weight loss, fluid retention, anemia, osteoporosis, bruising easily, peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage), infertility, and muscle weakness.

I'm having the rash & bruising now. I've had peripheral neuropathy most of my life. I've had infertility problems and also have muscle weakness. YIKES!

Does anyone know what the best way to test for celiac is?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. Heather(CA)

I hear you...I have been complaining about my wrists hurting (Joint pain) My feet and legs tingle, I'm tired. My bruise from my sprain (Which happened because my foot feel asleep) Is still bad. I retain water OFTEN too.

I was allergic to:
    Wheat
    milk and all milk products
    eggs
    preservatives
    food coloring
    carob
    soy
    chocolate
    oats
    That's all I can think of at the moment :( There's more though...

6. KatieJane'smom

So did you outgrow those allergies?

I was allergic to milk as a baby and so were my twins.

My oldest was allergic to purple dye and peanuts and, of course, is still anaphylactic to peanuts (you don't outgrow that one)

Christopher & Katie Jane, the twins, were allergic to milk, wheat, & eggs. Christopher outgrew all of the food allergies at about age 2. Katie Jane's wheat allergy slowly subsided into just an intolerance and now we don't even worry about it. Her milk allergy didn't go away until age 8 and she's still allergic to egg, but not anaphylactic anymore to it, and she's allergic to pecans and anaphylactic to peanuts and she's the one with Type 1.

I have no idea why the docs didn't think to test the twins for celiac when they were having so many symptoms from the wheat allergy. Of course, at that time, I knew nothing about auto-immune diseases.

I'm itching more than ever today. I think it's just because I know I'm out of steroids - lol.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That reminds me of my friend's daughter who had hives and itching years ago. They tested her with a blood test and thought she was wheat allergic. They kept her off it a while but now she eats it again. Maybe try avoiding all wheat and gluten and see if that helps?

8. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Kristi, I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable. Hopefully you'll find the cause and a way to stop this soon. Celiac test is really easy, just a blood test at the docs office. They test for antibodies to gluten. If that comes back out of range, it is usually followed by a upper endoscopy with a biopsy to check for intestinal damage caused by gluten.

I hope it's not it. However, being a celiac myself, it's not as awful as I initially thought it would be. Having a child with celiac would be so much more difficult!

Anyway, keep us posted. And feel better soon :)

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Hi Kristi,
    Wow! This sure brings back memories. I had a rash like that once but fortunately it did not spread, but I was in itching agony for 6 weeks. Nothing I did worked. It turned out I was allergic to a rare ingredient in cleansers and soaps. At firs they tried to tell me it was scabies but it turned out not to be. I feel for you though. The incessant painful itching was a nightmare, I don't wish to repeat. It was like the itch came from inside the depths of my body and no matter how much I scratched I couldn't reach the source. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I hope your rash goes away soon and you get some relief. If you can take a picture of the rash and post it here maybe we can do some research. I would also ask for a referral to an allergist as well as dermatologist. This is a mystery that is a misery.

10. Heather(CA)

I don't drink milk or have things like ice cream or yogurt because it affects my sinuses too much...I eat everything else, including cheese. maybe that's my problem lol:eek:

11. Heather(CA)

How's it going? Any better?:confused:

12. KatieJane'smom

Nope, no better. I'm living on Allegra & benadryl.

I had blood drawn this morning to test for celiac. Waiting to hear the results.

Weird thing, though, my Aunt just broke out all over. My mother is there visiting and says it looks just like mine.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That is weird
    :confused:

14. Heather(CA)

Weird, have you been around your Aunt?:confused:

How long will it take to get your results/ I will say a prayer that their negative...:(

15. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Are you sure your not allergic to Benadryl? Is our Aunt taking Benadryl?

16. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

You poor thing! I was hoping it had cleared by now. :(

17. Heather(CA)

18. Heather(CA)

Any news? Are you feeling better? I hope it's GONE:(

19. KatieJane'smom

Nope, no news. Still itching - it's just miserable. I can't even sleep at night without getting up to take benadryl. It's everywhere except face, hands, and feet. It's even on my scalp. The only change the last couple of days is that the rash on my thighs and stomach has seemed to thicken or become rougher to the touch and now looks more like excema instead of individual little bumps. Sort of like they all blended together.

The celiac test came back negative so I've at least ruled that out.

Maybe it is Rosea. IDK but it's going on 4 weeks now and it's about to make me insane! I've had 3 doctor visits and a round of prednisone which didn't seem to help at all. I hate to keep going to docs just for them to say they don't know what it is.

20. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I had a mystery illness years ago that was giving me a horrible rash. I went to several doctors, was given several rounds of antibiotics, and was tested for everything under the sun. Every test I took came back negative, which was a relief considering what some of the tests were for, but it was awful to be going through this thing that hurt, and itched, and looked ugly, only to have no answers. The last doctor I visited with this problem sat me down and told me that the same round of tests I had already been through several times came back negative again. Then she said she had a theory as to what might be making me sick and wanted to know what exactly was going on in my life. I told her all of the things going on at the time and she said "hon you are stressed and I think that is what is causing this." Do you think with all that has been going on, all the stress with the school and all, maybe this is your body's way of reacting to the stress and releasing it? Stress can do weird things to our bodies.