- advertisement -

Can you solve this medical mystery?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KatieJane'smom, Nov 10, 2010.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Nope, not that either.

2. KatieJane'smom

You just made me spit my drink on my computer:eek:

I don't know if I'll ever find the cause but the steroids are kicking in and making me stay awake all night, a bit cranky, and my cheeks are very red, but it seems that the rash has quit spreading so now to get rid of it all together.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

OMG!!! I REALLY need to get a life!!!

I'm glad the steroids seem to be helping some. I'm voting for viral rash that will eventually just go away. Both sons have had that in the past. Very uncomfortable though.:(

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Me too but I can't resist a good medical mystery:D:D

5. KatieJane'smom

Well, I spoke too soon :( Rash is still creeping around. Now it's on my scalp hands & calves, too. I woke up at 5:00am itching unbearably on my entire back, legs, and arms. I'm SO miserable!! Going to go jump in a tub of Aveeno now.

6. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Maybe your allergic to your Husband and kids?? :p

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Prescription Temovate has been a miracle ointment for rashes. You have to use it very sparingly. - We never used the generic.

8. Heather(CA)

Is it worse when you go to bed? Did you throw in any fabric softener, you said your using all free right? Maybe re wash your sheets then double rinse with vinegar? That gets all the detergent out:( You poor thing:(:(:(

9. TeresaR

TeresaR New Member

Hi Kristi- you are going to succeed in pulling me out of lurkerdom- I hope you don't mind a post from a complete stranger, I just never get around to introducing myself, but your post caught my eye since I had this happen to me 6 or 7 years ago- started with my underarm and spread and it was unbearable. Alveeno and calamine clear helped, but only a little for me. My primary doc had never seen anything like it, put me on a mini dose of prednizone (3 day) which helped, but it started spreading again after that so the dermatologist put me on a 7 day dose of prednizone. He dx it as a fragrance allergy and had me go fragrance free in everything but my make up & shampoo, which he said we might need to do. I changed deodorant (dove has a frag free), soap, detergent (for about a year on the detergent, still use sensitive skin do and soap). I also think I had extremely dry skin that triggered it but fragrance was an issue- if I walked down the laundry detergent aisle in the store my skin would crawl. Stopped wearing perfume to, more so I would not develop a reaction to it then anything else. Some other things they recommended for immediate relief that really worked were Cetaphil cream (not watered down lotion, the thicker cream to spread over dry/itchy areas), Cetaphil cleanser (use like body wash but no bubbles) and Sarna Lotion (steroid free, I had to ask for it at Walgreens since they stocked it behind the counter even though it is not RX). These and the prednizone knocked it out for me- I still use the Cetaphil cream if I start getting dry itchy skin- and there are generic versions of it at walmart, cvs etc that work as well as the pricier Cetaphil. Hope this helps and that you find some major relief soon.

10. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I agree with Teresa. When Campbell had a nasty rash this spring, they gave him a 10 day course of prednisone (starting at 50mg & then tapering down), really strong cortisone cream on the worst areas and a separate cortisone cream for the face, allegra in the am and another antihistamine at night (it made him very sleepy). They also suggested cetaphil cleanser only (no soap) and the cetaphil cream (the thick stuff in the tub) to keep it all moisturized between cortizone applications. It took a while, but it did finally clear.
    He was miserable, even scratching in his sleep. I had to keep his fingernails really, really short, or he'd scratch so hard it would bleed.

11. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

well I hope you are aware Kristi that since I am stumped by your medical mystery-there is no possible way that I can get to my chores and or homework.

12. KatieJane'smom

Hahaha - apparently you aren't the only follower. Look how many views my rash has had. Sheesh! It's downright embarrassing!!

Okay, plan of attack for today was:

Itch until I absolutely couldn't stand it anymore.
    Take Allegra perscription.
    Take 50 mg. of steriods (not the 40mg the doctor said to take).
    Soak in Aveeno bath until the water got too cold to stay.
    Put on the loosest gown I could find so nothing is touching me.
    Completely dry for a couple of hours before putting any cream or lotion on.
    Slather on Sarna lotion.
    Wait until itching starts again & put on cortisone cream & take Benadryl.
    Distract myself by making a big pot of chicken & dumplings and some sugar-free yummy dessert for my D girls.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Flea rash? I'm not joking.

14. Heather(CA)

It's stinky but I did a little research and it said Vinager is good to soak in too...For getting rid of rashes.:confused:

15. KatieJane'smom

Teresa, I'm so glad you quit lurking long enough to post because many of the things you suggested seem to be working. Heather, too. I didn't have any Cetaphil but had a big tub of Aquaphor so I'm trying that for now.

Fleas rash? I've never heard of that so I googled it and looked at pics and don't think that's it. Haven't seen any fleas on our dogs, house, or yard but that isn't saying I couldn't have been bitten by a flea but the rash doesn't look the same as those pics.

Heather, I actually took a cotton ball and wiped vinegar on but it didn't help with the itching. I'm hoping it helps the rash go away. I read that in several places also. I'm guessing what it does it help dry it up??

Anyway, I resorted back to the Sarna lotion as that seems to give me a bit of relief so now I smell like a combination of a giant pickle and Vick's vapor rub (what I think the Sarna smells like) which is not pleasant at all. You should see the looks I'm getting.

16. Heather(CA)

OK, I hope I am totally of base here but I just found this:(

"The following are diseases associated with celiac disease:

* An estimated 10% of patients with celiac disease also have dermatitis herpetiformis. Dermatitis herpetiformis is a disease of the skin that is characterized by an itchy rash on the extremities, buttocks, neck, trunk, and scalp."

I found it here...
    http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-symptoms?page=3

Is it gone? How are you feeling???:confused:

The sad thing is a bunch of my symptoms are on that list too including being tired,joint pain, and tingling in my legs and feet..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  17. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

The rash cont?:(

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Is it going away?

19. KatieJane'smom

The rash continues......sad, but true. It has stopped spreading and now just sort of flares up and becomes more itchy and red periodically throughout the day and night (and always in the middle of the night). It's still on my scalp, neck, back, butt, thighs and arms (thankfully not on my hands, feet, or face) but the most concentrated place is my lower back. I'm still taking benadryl and allegra and using cortisone cream, Sarna, and Aveeno but that's all just temporary relief. I have one steroid pill left that I will take in the morning. I hate those. Still haven't discovered the cause. I washed & re-washed sheets, clothes, etc. in just plain water to see if they were holding soap residue but didn't see anything and can't tell that helped any. I stopped all meds for a while to see if any of those were causing the reaction.

Heather, I really hope you are wrong and this is just some freaky viral rash that goes away. However, I'm going to avoid gluten products and see if it helps. Another weird thing is I have noticed several small bruises (12 or so) that I can't explain - mainly on my thighs. I'm thinking maybe I should go have some sort of testing done but I don't even know what kind to ask for.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  20. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would get checked out. I can't understand the bruises thing too?:confused: