- advertisement -

Can you solve this medical mystery?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KatieJane'smom, Nov 10, 2010.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

About a week ago I developed a few itchy spots and thought it might be chiggars (although it is not the right time of year for them). However, it very quickly turned into a rash that spread all around my waist and other unmentionable places. Within a couple of days it has spread down my legs to my knees & up my torso and is now climbing up my back and neck. So far it is not on my hands, face or feet. It's unbearably itchy even with round the clock benadryl. Unbearable! I can't even sleep at night it's SO bad.

I went to the dermatologist on Monday and he seemed to think it was just a contact reaction to detergent or soap but I already use All Free & Clear and nothing with perfume in it just because I have dry skin. He only gave me some elecon cream to use. It's not really helping much and the rash just keeps spreading. I've never had hives before so don't really know if that's it or what to do. I have another appt. in the morning.

Anybody had this before?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Kristi, is the rash little bubbles or just flat and red? Do you have poison ivy in Texas? We have it up here, lots, and for some people that are real sensitive it can cause lots of problems. Try a bath with Aveeno and see if it clears up

3. KatieJane'smom

No, no bubbles. Yes, we have poison ivy along with poison oak and sumack. It doesn't appear to be what this is. He's also ruled out scabies (yuck!). I have been bathing in oatmeal and Aveeno - it just seems to make it worse if anything!

4. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

i would try taking a bath and putting a little bleach in the water, this will dry up the rash and stop the spread, unfortunately it is won't help the dry skin but after the bath lotion up everywhere but the rash area.

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

could you have detergent build up? Run your clothes, towels, whatever in the washer without detergent and see if there are any bubbles. Happened to someone in my family when he took over the laundry. Just washed them over and over until the bubbles were gone (have to do this with cloth diapers at times).

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

If it's hives, you will need cortizone cream (prescription strength) and very possibly prednisone and maybe some prescription antihistamine as well.

I hate to suggest it, but has the doc considered shingles? It's becoming more common.

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Do any of the spots look kind of like ring worm? Then some of it is just red spots? I'm wondering if it's Pityriasis Rosea. Here's a pic

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:23&biw=1600&bih=708

8. KatieJane'smom

No, nothing that large, Heather. Tiny little red bumps - some larger than others but none bigger than an ant bite. Feels somewhat like sandpaper and itches like crazy!!

I don't think it's shingles because I've never had chicken pox, it's not really painful (just itchy), and it's all over not just on one side of the body.

I hadn't thought about detergent build-up. We do have hard water and I have to dunk the glasses in vinegar periodically to get the film off them so that makes sense.

I'm trying the bleach in the bath next.

I'm going back to the dermatologist in the morning and begging for a shot of prednisone & some cortizone cream and something stronger than benadryl.

They were way over-booked on Monday and I feel like the doc just gave me a standard treatment for a rash. He needs to find out what this is and I'm not leaving until he does!

9. Heather(CA)

Hmmm you don't have a sore throat do you? No fever?

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Don't rule out shingles.

You may be immune to Chicken pox. When my oldest daughter was 11 months old she got chicken pox my doctor had me titered for it because he said it was a much worse disease to get older. Turns out I had antibodies. in other words I was exposed to it, never broke out with the actual pox, but developed immunity.

So, Although I never had chicken pox I can still get shingles.

11. KatieJane'smom

No, no other symptoms and it's still not on my face, hands or feet but my scalp is starting to itch.

I didn't know that about shingles! I just know that I have some freaky immunity to chicken pox. I was terrified I would get it when my twins had it but never did. I had no idea you could still get shingles without having it. Good to know!

12. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

shingles is very painful and moves in a line.

I had it in my little pinky finger years ago. one of the most painful weekends ever

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Have you had strep throat recently, or were you on any antibiobtics?

If you had strep recently, or were on antibiotics that killed a strep stain of bacteria, then this could be "scaret Fever rash", it can show up after the original bacteria is gone.

The "sandpaper" it a textbook discription.

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Did you get a shot for anything lately? Taken any meds lately? Could it be an allergiy reaction to something? Food even?

15. Heather(CA)

How are you feeling? I would think that if it's an allergic reaction the Benedryl would help:confused:

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is what I thought - or even a yeasty rash - dod you all of a sudden go low carb or sugar free?

I sometimes get a similar rash if I cut out sugar from my diet - I wipe the area with Apple Cider Vinegar and it kills the rash - the relief is almost instantaneous.

17. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Are you stressed? Using anything new?

I had a similar rash. :( I think being under stress aggravated it. I tried everything to get rid of it and finally went to the doctor. He gave me prednisone pills which started to work immediately. Then while clearing up I found out the trigger was a rice steamer I was using.

18. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I was thinking shingles too... is it PAINFUL? I hear shingles is extremely painful... How about an "oatmeal" bath...those little packets of the powdery oatmeal can be found at your local pharmacy.

Good luck.

19. KatieJane'smom

No strep, no antibiotics, no shots, no new meds or foods, no low-carb or sugar-free diet (although, I do need to lose weight). Not painful like shingles, just extremely itchy.

Stress - yes. We've had huge turmoil at work but I've never had hives before and have never been the type of person that let's stress get to me much. I can always find humor in any situation.

The rash is spreading up my throat and back of my neck to my scalp and down my arms to my hands as well as further down my legs.

I went back to the dermatologist this morning and told the nurse I was not leaving until they either figured this out or gave me some better drugs. The doc said he could do a biopsy but that he thought it would be a waste of time & money because it would be inconclusive and opted to give me a different cream and some Allegra instead of Benadryl. He thinks it is something injested or inhaled which leaves any and all food or meds open to suspicion. I asked for steroids and he gave me a script to put "on hold" at the pharmacy which I promptly had filled anyway. The Allegra seems to have at least helped with the itching. I still don't know why benadryl didn't help at all. The thing that seems to give the most relief is Sarna lotion but it smells like Vick's Vapor Rub. I didn't think my husband was going to sleep in the same room with me last night because it smelled so strong - lol.

Hoping to get some sleep tonight!

20. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I get so infuriated with docs that won't do what they need to do. He should have prescribed the steroid days ago. Its not like its going to cause your sugars to go sky high

how about a sleeping pill? to help with sleep, benadryl used to put me out, but now I seem to be immune to it.

hope you feel better soon