- advertisement -

Can you downgrade from G5 to G4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are finding there are too many issues with the G5 that are causing us to loose data and that the system does not fit our lifestyle. After eagerly awaiting the G5 arrival, I got one of our girls up and running. But we just don't like it!
    We have a G4 transmitter that probably is still working. I'd like to start using it again. Has anyone successfully down graded?

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Downgrade a receiver? I'm going to guess no way. That's one reason I'm not going to flash our receiver any time soon.

3. Beach bum

That's what I was afraid of. Not going to switch other daughters anytime soon

4. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Ok so now you have me curious. So what is it specifically about the g5 that is causing you to want to go back? I would call Dexcom, offer to send in all of your current hardware in exchange for g4 hardware. They might go for it.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we're still on the G4 what is it about the G5 you don't like. One of the reasons we haven't upgraded is that we don't have an iphone (we use android here) don't you have to have an iphone in order to use the G5? We don't even have share capabilities on her g4, whether through Dexcom Share or Nightscout.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

As long as you have your previous G4 receiver, you should be fine. Since G5 is straight to phone, you don't have a receiver for it, right?

So, if you have the previous receiver, use the G4 transmitter and the G4 receiver just like you use to.

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I wonder if you can do the $199 replacement and get a G4 receiver to replace the G5.

8. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

The answer is No, you can't "downgrade" your receiver if you've done the software update from the G4 receiver to become G5-compatible.

Interesting question, though, about paying the $199 upgrade fee and trying to get a G4 receiver instead of G5...

Some of my issues about changing from G4 to G5 was the point of my blog post at DiabetesMine on Monday, and I've decided to not change to G5. Mostly, because I'm Android, but beyond that other issues I've read about from DOC friends and those here on CWD. Thanks for all the feedback in helping me decide.

9. Beach bum

it was your blog post that made me start to think more about it. Wish I wasn't so quick to upgrade not going to upgrade kid two.

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Beach bum, is your frustration due to the new transmitter and connectivity with the phone, or the 505 algorithm?

11. Beach bum

Issue is mainly that she still has to carry the receiver because so many places she goes she has to silence her phone (school, dance, church). When phone is on silent, you don't receive alerts. Not the end of the world, but more annoying than anything.

Also finding that range is not as good as before. It used to be that I could put receiver on my nightstand and still get all readings. Now, the only way to get night time readings is a)make sure she is running share on her phone or b)put it on the bookshelf out in our hall.

Just little things not thought through fully by Dex. I'm also not a huge fan of the display. The screen appearance looks like an old 70's video game (the bright white background).

I did call Dex and ask them a hypothetical, "what if we misplaced the transmitter and wanted to use the 4" they said that the codes are different now and as a result you can't input the old one in to the new program. Old began with a 4, new begin with a 6.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

You could purchase the ring tone called vibrate(which makes the vibrate sound) or the ring tone that is simply no sound. You could set all calls to that except say maybe your phone number. Then leave the phone off silent and she can get the alerts in school. You could also do this with text messages.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  13. Beach bum

thanks! Will do this.
    Why can't Dex suggest this?

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Because they are not as smart as parents of children with T1D!

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I think they are still trying to figure it out. When I called a while back asking what if we did not like the new alerts etc. how could be go back to only using receiver. They did not seem to know. I thought of just turning off all alarms on new phone app and using receiver as usual would be an option. They said, 'good idea, I'll write that down'.

16. kail

kail Approved members

I'm trying to fully understand the issue. If all of the problems are related to carrying the iphone instead of the receiver then why can't you just use the receiver like you did before. I do see the comment about the display being annoying and range being different but I also heard that the algorithm was more accurate. I hadn't heard any complaints about different range before this and I'm wondering if most people see a difference and if there are other downsides besides the iphone issue. I was planning to upgrade when our transmitter fails but our routine wouldn't change. My daughter takes her receiver and her iphone in a small purse with a clear window for the dex and her kindergarten teacher carries the purse. I was just hoping that the new algorithm would be worth it.

17. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

True! And desperate for hacks that let us do those frivolous things like sleep and send our kids to school.

My son already carries a phone for Share. Number unpublished. On the very first day of school he got a call from a spammer!! So what we did is use the Do Not Disturb feature. You can set it up so that only calls from people who are in the contacts will go through. Then I populated contacts with people who would never call. It also means he has on his person at all times easy access to me, his dad, grandparents, the school nurse, and a few trusted friends. This has allowed us to let him take a bike ride by himself to a friend's house and I can call and ask him to take a tab if he's trending low. And also see WHERE he is if he's not answering. The phone is just such a great tool. We locked it down so he can't go online or install apps, so we treat it like a medical device - I don't consider this "caving" and giving a child a phone before it's developmentally appropriate. And for those who balk at the cost - we got an old 4S on craigslist for $100 and use Page Plus Cellular - on the pay-per-use plan costs less than $5/month for all day data at school (at home he's on wi-fi) and the occasional call.

We are eagerly awaiting the G5. We are hopeful that we can retain bluetooth connectivity and dump the receiver.

18. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

So a question I have about G5:

If some data is on the receiver and I can upload to Clarity, and some data went through the phone (loaded automatically to Clarity) will Clarity merge the data after the fact for analysis and reporting?

We have the G5 package sitting at home, but I am waiting for the G4 transmitter to fizzle before we change. If i cannot merge the data after the fact, I will likely send all the g5 stuff back and ask for another G4 transmitter.

19. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Regarding the G5:
    Despite any "cons" (of which we've encountered very few and they were not deal-breakers) the "pros" outnumber them and include three deal-makers: 1. no longer needing to schlep around yet another piece of technology (the receiver); 2. I receive data via Share much more consistently with the G5 than I did with the G4.; and 3. (Most important to us) the improved accuracy with the 505 algorithm.

20. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

What is your experience with the clarity software? Does it backfill data if the phone received readings but was not connected to the cloud? Can you see the same or similar reports as on Studio?