advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can T1s go Scuba Diving?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NomadIvy, Jun 25, 2010.

1. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I keep thinking they can't. That's one thing ~K is very upset about because I told her I don't see it being possible. I'm an avid scuba diver and she's the only one of the three girls who said she'd like to go diving with me. :(

2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I wouldnt take my 6 year old scuba diving with me...type 1 or not...:) I like being above the water though..not under it..:) Things change so quickly with a type 1 child..they go low very quickly...god for bid she is underwater and cant get to the top safely and quick enough...just things to keep in mind..I wouldnt do it not at her young age and being so recently diagnosed...

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

YES THEY CAN!! But, alas, it requires lots of preparation. I've read on adult boards about some of the guidelines D divers use. Like you test right before you go in and you never go down unless you are above a certain target, etc.

It's not for me, and I don't know much abou it, but I have read about other's exeperiences so if it's your thing and your duaghter wants to join, then go to the ADA adult T1 board and ask there. Google it to. It's definitely possible.

http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/Forum3830-1.aspx

This is a link to that board. Post a question there.

5. NomadIvy

LOL, I wouldn't take her at the age of 6. They've lowered junior certification to 10, if I'm not mistaken - it used to be 12, that means they can go diving but only with a certified adult (I'm not an instructor, but I worked as a divemaster for a couple of years).

My husband as been bugging us to spend two weeks at this beautiful beach resort (just me and the kids and probably a nanny). I am scared stiff to do it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Uhm, I think I would be nervous as to why my hubby wanted the house to himself for two weeks ;)...can you imagine the mess when you get home :eek:

7. NomadIvy

Hmm.. if he had lots of time in his hands, I'd be scared too ;) ... unfortunately, this is a country where leaving work at an acceptable time is not acceptable. He's actually in the U.K. now for some meetings (the highlight of which was listening to Prince Charles' speech) and then he's off to Portugal. And he's actually a very good housekeeper and cook :D

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow - lucky lady!

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Oh I thought you meant right now at her age...:) Sorry...I hear you I would be scared to go scuba diving at all..

10. swellman

My wife and I are both certified but haven't been since pregnancy - 10 years now. We still talk about it and talk about getting our son certified. I'm not terribly concerned about going down 30 or 40 feet and I'm sure we could manage the BG to stay on the high side while down.

Our problem is that he talks .... a lot .... I mean he never shuts up and unless we were to outfit him with a full face mask with wireless communication it would never work. :D

11. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

OMG! I think our kids may be related! LMAO! Its non-stop talking here, I think thats why I stay up so late..enjoying the silence! Thanks for the smile!:)

12. NomadIvy

:D ~K talks non-stop too, and she does talk in her sleep sometimes.

13. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

my wife and i went to jamaica a few years ago for our 20th anniversary. the place we were staying offered scuba diving but the form explicitly said diabetics could not participate.
    so ... i did not disclose my condition; went diving and had a fabulous time. i didn't even give it a second thought because my control is very good and i've done a lot of more arduous things.
    it's a judgment call and i'm sure some would not follow suit. but i've found that these restrictions are often (always?) based more on legal concerns than medical reasons.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was told at dx that the only two things I wouldn't be able to do with D were scuba diving and joining the army. Maybe it's changed since then? :confused:

15. NomadIvy

Without being told these things I just assumed the two things T1s couldn't engage in were scuba diving and flying a plane (~ K said, " well, there's auto ilot!")

16. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I have my pilots(small craft) licence and we all scuba dive here

17. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I think joining the military is the only thing our D kids can't do now. Everything else is fair game, as long as they are prepared for the unexpected.

Oh I just remembered one more thing...Smoke Jumpers....I don't think they can be those either.

But everything else fair game.

18. NomadIvy

cool...just told her that now. After a loong bad night, it's nice to have good news. she said she doesn't want to fly a plane :)

19. swellman

Yet.

Silly message length limit.

20. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Sounds like Jesse! We always know when he has fallen asleep b/c we don't hear him anymore!!