- advertisement -

Can stress cause large ketones?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Dec 6, 2007.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I have been stressed to the max the past few days and I tested my glucose and it was HI and I have large ketones..Could this be just from stress or am I starting to go into DKA?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Ketones and high blood sugar are not a good combination. I would put a call in to your doctor.

3. KeltonsMom

I did, the Endo can't see me until January 3rd :eek:

I am not on insulin yet..Because I have an Insulinoma(tumor that produses insulin) that is dying, and I think it is finally dead and now I am in the process of going into DKA..

4. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

Holy Cow Teddi....as if you don't have enough on your plate.

I can't believe your endo cannot work you in until Jan. 3rd.... with a bg reading of HI and large ketones.

With Danielle that's an automatic shot and lots and lots of fluids. I don't know what to tell you, but you need to be very careful.

5. KeltonsMom

The Endo is 100 miles away too :eek:

I would call my husband and see if he can take me to the hospital if the ketones don't go down or away..I drank 40 ounces of water and still HI and large ketones..so I will drink more..

6. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Let's put it this way, Teddi-- you're not on any insulin yet, correct? If that's the case, I'd be heading to ER as soon as humanly possible. Think of what you would do if this was happening to one of your kids. It is just as serious in you.

7. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

yeah, if that tumor is dying...water isn't going to help if you have ZERO insulin!

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Let me get this straight, you are in the process of developling Type 1 and the endo knows this. You called him and said you have large ketones and high blood sugar and he said to only wait nearly a month? Did he suggest you go to the ER if the ketones don't come down?

9. KeltonsMom

Yes, they told me to drink water for the next two hours and if I still have ketones to go to the ER

10. KeltonsMom

I called my husband and he will hopefully take me to the hospital in a few hours..He was in a meeting..

11. yeswe'rebothD

Good, do it ASAP! This can progress VERY rapidly! Also, I'd be looking for a different Endo!

12. KeltonsMom

This is the closest one..the others are in LA or Bakersfield which is further away...

I am drinking water and I will lay down until Mark gets here

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Tell him to get his ass out of the meeting and take you to the ER...you don't need to go into DKA! You wouldn't let your son stay at HI with Ketones for 2 hours, why are you letting yourself! See, everyone needs a kick in the pants every now and then ! Keep us updated!

14. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

That is a VERY good idea. Try not to move at all if possible, especially if you start to feel nauseous.

At my diagnosis, it took me from around 6pm on a thursday until 1am on friday to go from just feeling crummy to nonstop vomiting and DKA. I didn't get to see the doctor until 8am that same friday. What I learned from that is: Don't wait until you're in crisis to get to the hospital, and as soon as you start feeling like you could be sick or throw up, call 911, get an ambulance and have them treat you.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :(

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Teddi: So sorry to hear this. I'm sure you feel awful and I hope you get to the ER soon. Maybe this means you can start actually managing this disease and feel better - I know its been a roller-coaster for you recently!

16. KeltonsMom

Okay Mark is not home yet, he may be as late as 5:30..Here is what I did, I drank 1/2 gallon of water, this brought the glucose down, now I have between trace and moderate ketones...My stomach feels terrible, but I have not thrown up..I may take a nap until he gets home and see how I feel then.

17. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

What a nightmare!!! Have your numbers been consistantly high the last few days? Or are you still fighting lows? If they're high and you're not fighting those horrible lows anymore, then it's time for some insulin, dear!!

18. KeltonsMom

This is the first day of highs..

19. yeswe'rebothD

how are you feeling now Teddi? I sure hope you're off to the ER! Please check in asap! I'm praying for you!

Also, a good Endo is hard to find and sometimes you have to be willing to drive to find one. I would not put up with someone who treats you that way, no matter how far the drive. I drive my dd almost an hour one way to see the only Endo I will take her to, as long as we live here.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  20. KeltonsMom

No ER. glucose is down and I went very low, have trace ketones