advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can sporty teenagers wear dexcom sensors on the back of their upper arms successfully?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by suej, Nov 20, 2015.

1. suej

suej Approved members

We are still trying to sort out our ??? issues.

I gather from this forum that many kids and teenagers prefer back of arms and get a good 2 week sensor session even though it is off label use.

But what about active teenagers who play:
    Tennis
    Hockey
    Soccer
    Basketball
    Swimming and diving

Could the active movement of the arms during sport perhaps impair performance of sensor (or kill it with ???) ?

Thank you

2. suej

suej Approved members

Please can I get some replies from the Dexcom veterans? And can quite lean teenagers use back of arms?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't think my "sporty kid" reply will help much... Maddie decided back of the arm dexcoms were not worth it after changing in and out of sports bras. This is obviously not your son's problem :) That said, through girls field hockey and lacrosse we never had a problem with sensors getting knocked off or ripped away (aside from the bra thing). Nor did we ever have a real problem with ??? other than long showers or baths. Water really seems to be the most persistent and annoying thing when dealing with the dex, at least it was for us.

Good luck!

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Different sports, but my lean 13 year old wears Dexcom exclusively on his arms and he plays baseball, football and basketball. He's lost a few to hits from other players or from sweat, but that's pretty rare. No issues with ???, though. However...we don't really see ??? very often. I think my kids' body chemistries must just work really well with Dexcoms. They wear them for several weeks, rarely lose one and if we do get ??? it's only after 3-4 weeks of wear.

5. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

My lean daughter wears her dexcom exclusively on the back of her arms. No issues with swim team, volleyball, snowboarding, windsurfing , amusement park...

We lose signal sometimes with water sports due to out of range, but not the ???, and the readings came back when she was back in range with the receiver.

6. njswede

njswede Approved members

Resounding yes! My son has been playing a season of full tackle American football without issue while wearing his sensor on his upper arm. IMHO, wearing it on the belly is much worse, since that skin tends to flex a lot while the kid is active, while the skin on the arm is very static.

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Yes - Carson is very active and always worn the sensor on the back of the arm. No issues besides keeping the tape to stay sticky on when he sweats and swims in the summer.

8. suej

suej Approved members

Thanks everyone, and Sarah, also hope Ben would not have trouble with a sports bra:p

Last question for now - how much subcutaneous tissue can you pinch up on the back of the lean teenager's arms? I can certainly pinch up some but not masses on the back of his arm.

Thank you
    Kind regards

9. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

My son uses only the back of his arm for dexcom. The only issue we had was with the deodorant. After a few dayw it would come off. Now he uses a roll on and problem solved!

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle often uses the back of her arms with no problem. During tennis season she is very active and has no problems. We use SkinTac and tape and it works out fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to pinch up a lot of skin. The sensor isn't that long and simply goes under the skin. I rarely even pinch up skin when I do a sensor insertion and it's fine.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  11. suej

suej Approved members

Thanks for the insights:smile: