advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can pass/fail gym class be part of a 504?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 4MyBoys, Nov 21, 2011.

1. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

Gregory is in 7th grade. His lowest average is gym. He got a 90 in gym, but it is weighted as heavily as the core subjects and brought his overall quarter average down one full point. Does anyone have pass/fail gym in a 504 plan? Thanks, Allison

2. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

what seems to be the correlation between the lower grade and diabetes - just curious?

3. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

The 504 is about the accomidation taken to assist in being successful in the class. The grade assigned A-F or P/F is irrelelvant. If the plan is not being followed visit with the teacher, they may not be aware of the plan or realize the needs of your child are not being met.
    Many PE teachers grade on attendance/ participation. If you child misses a class they may be required to make it up. Some PE teachers still give exams over basic skills, rules etc. I would call or email the teacher to get an explanation of the grade to see what the reason for the grade is then decide if it is a 504 issue.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

This. You can also request that the time of day be moved to accommodate tricky blood sugar times, but you cannot change how a class is graded.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It sounds like you are trying to use his diabetes as a excuse to help him out in a class where he isn't doing as well as you would like.

Most don't provide a lot of detail on these forums, so my perception may be incorrect.

6. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

The gym teacher is aware, but he will only help Gregory if the school nurse says he has to. For example, we asked if he could keep a bag of diabetes supplies (just juice and smarties) in his office so Gregory would have access to them and in case he was low and could not remember his locker combo (due to a low) during class. The answer was no. We asked the teacher to carry a meter and smarties when they go outside. The track and fields are quite a distance from the nurse's office. The answer was no, Gregory is supposed to carry his own stuff. It is difficult to play football with your meter falling out of your pocket. He does not take any role in Gregory's management. I hope he would call the nurse and not just send Gregory to the nurse if he was low.
    I did not ask for judgement in my original post, so if you are here to be nasty, or judge. Please don't respond. Thanks, Allison

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Please read your first post. NOTHING about diabetes, ALL about grades. I was going to post what I hoped would be a helpful comment but given that last paragraph I think I'll pass.:rolleyes:

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Sounds like the teacher doesn't "get" it. Could he wear a spibelt or something with his supplies? Then maybe leave it on the sidelines while playing so it's near enough if he needs it?

Is it possible to speak with the nurse, and have her talk to him?

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Allison, your son certainly has the right to have staff members assist him in his diabetes management by doing these simple things that youve requested. The teachers seems like a real hard a$$ to me and Im concerned that something might happen to your son while he's in class if this teacher is so unwilling to do anything to assist your son. I would talk to the 504 coordinator about this and the endo or CDE and the school nurse should know so that she can speak to this teacher and educate him about type 1 diabetes. Maybe he's one of those people who dont realize that there is a difference between type 1 and 2

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

To me this sounds like it is more about the gym teacher assisting your son than it is about grades. The gym teacher is denying your son access to things that he needs to manage his diabetes in school. I would focus on that and not the grades.

They gym teacher does not have the option of saying no when your child needs accommodations. If the nurse cannot make that clear to him then I would speak to the Principal and have the Principal speak directly to the gym teacher.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Thanks for adding the relevance to diabetes here. This detail is useful for folks to make helpful suggestions.

My son put his pump and tabs in a spibelt worn just for PE. It fit snugly around his waist. Your son could put his meter, strips, poker and tabs in one and thus have his supplies with him.

If the teacher is supposed to carry supplies 504 doesn't address the needs, it should be changed.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

I didn't see anyone being nasty until your post.

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

So the 90 is a B? or A-

How many other grades does he have averaging into the overall quarter average? I just can't figure out how a 90 would bring down the average one full point (like from a 4.0 to a 3.0 or 3.5 to 2.5).

I know it isn't your question but I just can't see how a 90 in PE (which is a good grade) could drag his overall average down a full point.

I agree that I would add some accommodations to his 504. If missing class to treat his diabetes is affecting the grade - there should be some way to address that in the 504 so that absences or missed classes won't be counted against him.

14. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

My biggest issue with the grades is that gym class grading is completely subjective. Gregory checks his BG before gym and has a non-bolused snack if it is less than 200 (it is almost always under 200.) He usually drops about 100 points during gym, even with the snack, depending on what they are doing. Every time Gregory steps out of a game to check his BG (which is not every class) he is reminded that participation is reflected in his grade. No matter how high his BG is he WILL NOT ask to get a drink, because he is worried about his gym grade. Gregory has a 96.8 overall quarter average, 97.8 without gym. He is worried about his grade, and his diabetes care suffers because of it. It is not like a regular class where we could challenge the teacher about following his 504 because in a regular class there are tests, quizzes, etc and a teacher can not just slap a kid with a random grade based on their relationship with that child. I am fully aware that the teacher can not lower his grade because he checks his BG in class, but because it is gym class, the teacher does not have to justify the grade he gives. If we make his life difficult, Gregory will have a lower grade. So, I am wondering if he can take it pass/fail. -Allison

15. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

The principal is his instructional leader (Boss) that is who does his evaluations. If you wish to press the issue visit with the principal.

Did he give a reason for the NO? I would assume he does not want to be responsible if the equipment if it is lost or stolen, not entirely unreasonable from his stand point. Can you come up with a solution that does not require him to be responsible for the meter. If you can I would bet he will become very accomidating.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Seriously? You are upset because his average is a 97 with PE rather than a 98 without?:eek: You'd think that the PE teacher not adhering to the intent of the 504 would be of greater concern.:rolleyes:

17. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

Having it be pass/fail would allow Gregory to ask for what he needs without the threat of "his grade being affected." If he needs to sit down because his BG is dropping fast and he feels dizzy, or if his BG is high and he needs extra water or a bathroom trip, he needs to be able to do what he needs to do without feeling like his average is being affected. -Allison

18. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

You are completely missing my point. That is my concern, but every time we talk to the school nurse about it, he minimally follows it while reminding my son that his grade is being affected. I am VERY worried about my son's safety in PE because he will not speak up because of the gym teacher's attitude. Having PE pass/fail would remove any leverage the PE teacher has over Gregory feeling like he can not address his diabetes in gym class.

19. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

IMO, this should be in your 504 as required.

20. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We have similar issues with Kayla's PE teacher.. sorta. She is always counted late or absent because she has to go to the nurse and eat a snack.. regardless what her blood sugar is. She has dropped more than 200 points from intense activity before. So.. she ends up with a lower grade because of that. Good luck, we haven't gotten anything to change yet.