- advertisement -

Can foods cause hives?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KeltonsMom, Feb 12, 2009.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Tonight for dinner I ate two poached eggs and a slice of wheat bread and within 30 minutes I broke out in hives :eek: This has happened before, but it wasn't after eating bread or eggs..

I have no idea what I could be allergic to and have never had any kind of food allergies..

I am not taking any medications, so I am clueless as to what could be causing this :confused:

2. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Did you by chance have milk to drink?

I have a friends whose daughter's hives turned out to be allergy to dairy and beef.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

My 3rd dau got terrible hives after eating cashews when she was little, but she later ate them with no problem. My youngest used to routinely get hives about every 6 months. We had no idea what caused them.

4. KeltonsMom

No milk, and I rarely eat beef..I am more of a chicken type of person.

This has stumped the doctors as well, they do not know what the hives could be from since it happens with different foods, that and I have been running a low grade fever off and on for the past 6 months..

Maybe I am under stress that I am not aware of :confused:

5. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Teddi,

I think it was just about a year ago, Tim was dealing with a low grade fever hives, stomach issues for a long time. He just didn't feel right. I know some of his issue was D/insulin related but after having a CT scan done, we were told he had a very small sinus issue. Nothing major, doc said no need to worry about. Finally put him on antibiotic, and long lasting low grade fever was no longer an issue. . Still has the hives on arms but no solution there.

Hope you can figure it out.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I've had hives before that weren't from food. The dr thought it was a virus I think.
    Told me to take benadryl and zantac (zantac is an antihistamine actually)

Could it be from the beer in the shower:cool:

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

First, food can definately cause Hives. I would take some Benedryl to get rid of them, the eat the same thing again, one at a time to see if the Hives come back.

On a side note...Did you change your laundry detergent? I used to use Cheer, it took me a long time to figure out it was the Cheer giving me Hives because I had used it for a LONG time. It turns out they added more water softeners w/o telling anyone:rolleyes:. Tide also gives me Hives. I switched to All free for the whole house and that helped a lot. However, if I touch someone that uses Cheer or Tide, I get Hives, it's REALLY annoying.

8. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

What about the medications? I know that your dog was under the weather, was he taking meds and transfer through the skin/coat?

Pixie (our dog-my avitar), she can't sit on my lap with out me getting hives. I've changed shampoo's, I've changed her dog food-per the vet anyway, due to her dry skin. She has to sit on my lap or she crys.

Maybe its the season there? You know a new place, the way the wind is blowing, new air.

Hope you figure it out soon. Ha, maybe your alergic to Mark?:eek:

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie started breaking out in hives on his face and back of knees this summer. Took forever figuring out what it was. Started writing down everything he ate and when he'd have a flair up. It was so random. Finally figured out it was Crystal light. After 18 months of drinking it he had a reaction. Totally surprised us.

10. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I've always wondered about this. Will had to take amoxycillin a few weeks ago, and Patrick (who is allergic to penicillin and amoxycillin) broke out in hives for the entire time Will was on it.

My mom and my oldest son both get hives from eating raw pit fruits (peaches, apricots, etc.) My mother can peel one and she breaks out on her hands, it looks like she dipped them in boiling water.

11. KeltonsMom

No change in laundry detergent or fabric softener, Rufi Bear is not on medications, I am not on any medications..I am having a sinus problem, so maybe I will get that looked at and see if this is what could be causing this. I did catch a cold in November that seems to be hanging on with a stuffy nose..

Now that I think of it I did drink Crystal Light Lemonade today, and I haven't had it in over 3 months...I usually drink decaf iced tea..

Allergic to Mark :eek: He has been working some killer overtime hours for the first time in a LONG time, so who knows it could be stress from that. He comes home late at night..

12. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

It wasn't recurring, but about two years ago, I broke out in hives, throat started closing a little, tongue swelling a little, and had to go to the ER after eating grapes and cheese. The weird thing was that I was on a grapes and cheese kick for a couple of weeks, and that night was actually the last of the grapes in the bag. The only medication I had taken was a benadryl after I started itching a little, but after 20 minutes and it getting worse, I drove myself to the hospital. They weren't sure what caused it, but said it could have been stress.

13. KeltonsMom

Well with two of us having D in the house I am sure I am more than a little stressed, that and Kelton and I both have the flu :eek:

I took a cool shower this morning and the hives went away...I have not eaten eggs today, but tomorrow I will have a poached egg and see if this is what could be causing it..If not then the next day I will try the wheat bread, and if that does not do it then I will drink more Crystal Light and see if that is the culprit..If not then I will know it may be stress..

14. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Hives are a response to high stress. The body is under some kind of physical or emotional draining stress. It can be brought on by food, but also by being angry, fed up, shocked, exposed to a chemical, exposed to a viral infection, anything that is a stressor....

15. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

I get hives from a white fleshed fish like fish sticks. Haddock or cod maybe, I'm not sure which type. It's easy to avoid so it's been a couple of decades since I had it.

My wife also has a food allergy, to celery of all things. That is a lot harder to avoid as it gets used in a lot of different recipes.

16. KeltonsMom

Interesting that you mention celery...Since I have been cutting back on my calorie intake, celery has become something I eat on occasion when I have the munchies...I need to write down what I eat and then see if I get the hives.

It could very well be stress, I do not feel too stressed out, I am not sleeping as well as I could be...

17. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

i have a friend who has a horible time with hives and her dr's said they are related to her hormones going all crazy