- advertisement -

Can different forms of exercise have different results of BG #'s?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sbsmith1804, Apr 18, 2010.

1. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

Can you paricipate in two different activities and have totally different BG#'s from the exercise?
    Ds was actively participating in a basketball tournament this weekend and his BG#'s ran higher than normal...at times close to 350. Then also went to baseball practice and ran low!! I am so confused. I thought exercise was supposed to be good for him. I was totally prepared for him to run lower than normal, but never expected basketball make his run high. Could this be because of the stress of the activity?! What are some results and ideas and thoughts from you?
    Thanks!!!

2. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

yes!!! i swim and my bg drops 100-175 points in less than an hour but like i went dancing for for hours straight and mowed the yard for 3 hours and it stayed the same pretty much

dd can play ouside and be fine but on field trips with all the walking she goes low

3. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

I'm sure this is one of those things that varies for each person. If Liam is participating in a competitive sport his BG will go high during the game and drop 3-5 hours later. I think this is referred to as an adrenalin high. But...if he's just working out hard at a practice or in gym class he will usually drop right away.

4. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

When participating in competitve sports Will's blood sugar rises and when he is simply practicing his always drops low and stays low for a time after. He can play b-ball with his brother and go sky hight because of emotions. When he plays alone his BG drops--go figure.....

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Sure, heck, you can participate in the same activity and have totally different BGs. D is not that predictable.

It's not unusual to run low in practice, and go high in games due to adrenaline.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Also, there's the difference between aerobic exercise (where you are exercising steadily but not panting hard) and anaerobic exercise (where you are breathing very hard).

Aerobic exercise will steadily pull glucose from the bloodstream to feed the muscles and drop blood sugar levels.

Anaerobic exercise involves a shift to an alternate energy system in the body (because there is not enough glucose in the blood to feed the muscles), with a hormone-triggered dump of glucose into the bloodstream from the liver. You can see blood sugars spike high as a result of anaerobic exercise. Be careful about yielding to the temptation to give insulin (esp. while the game/practise is ongoing) - that sugar is there for a reason, namely to replenish the muscles.

If you give insulin without food then a low a couple of hours later is likely..

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Wilf
    I am dense. How does this work. You are using muscles for both types of exercise, why would one cause a liver dump? If you start any exercise with carbs and consume carbs during will you avoid all highs and all future lows except for the increased circulation and efficiency impact on insulin and food? thank you for any answers. Ali

8. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

My two cents on exercise... With Abby if she's having exercise where she's competing and taking it very seriously she runs high, if she's just exercising (riding bike with friends, softball practice) she runs low.
    Believe it or not sipping Gatorade while doing both kinds of exercise helps keep her stable. It helps regarding with what Wilf was saying about dumping glucose into the bloodstream. My belief is it helps the body not dump (as much) glucose and can counter act the high, if you will. But like anything else it takes experimenting to get the right amount.

On another note, when Abby goes low from the exercise during the day, we're more than likely going to see lows at night while her body replaces those carbs she used up in her muscles.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

I am not a sports doctor - they would be better able to answer this. But my layperson's understanding is that when you go into anaerobic exercise, the body "shifts into overdrive" and dumps glucose from the liver into the bloodstream to make sure the muscles have all the glucose they need to cover the extreme exertion.

Several parents on here have found that sipping Gatorade or other high glucose drinks during anaerobic exercise reduce the spikes in BG.

When exercising aerobically (not breathing too hard) the body isn't facing what it considers an emergency situation, and so the muscles are pulling what they need from the bloodstream (which can cause lows if there's not carbs coming in) without that boost in blood glucose coming from the liver..

I don't know the answer to your second question - it's a good one. :)

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thank you Lanae for your insight. :cwds:Ali

11. Denise

Denise Approved members

Molly tends to run HIGH during soccer or basketball GAMES but lower when it's just practice. HOWEVER...I want to say that after games, she'll drop on her own so we tend to not correct anything high unless it's over 300 and even then it's VERY conservative ( 1/4 correction). Molly drops like a bomb after she's ran during a game but I know if she was in goal the whole time for soccer, I can correct a bit more.

12. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

13. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

Thank you all for the suggestions and help!!! I am especially thankful for the gatorade trick! I will definetly be looking into it.

14. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Lots of kids run higher during games when adrenaline and anticipation and excitment of the game kicks in. Adrenaline and stress hormones raise bs as part of the whole fight or flight thing. But muscles are still being used and sugar is still being used so hours later they may be low.

YES yes yes different activities will have diff effects. If you are using a different muscle group then it's like starting over. I mean if you take up jogging then you will be low but after a while you muscles become more efficient and less damage is done so you won't go as low. Then you take up swimming--different muschle group, lows start all over. "New" muscles not used to the excercies will need more glucose and also need more repair at night and need even more glucose so lows will happen with new activities.

So different TYPES of activity (aerobic/anaerobic), differents REASONS (practice or actual game), and different levels of NEWNESS (new excerice vs something you always do) will all have different effects. Add in the heat/humidity and all the normal D variations and it's a mess. :rolleyes: D stinks!!! Test, treat, test, treat, test, treat, repeat. . .

ETA: this is why snow days cause so many lows--it's hard and not an everyday activity so the kids just arent't used to playing in the snow. So glad those are over in nj.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  15. 22jules

22jules Approved members

This is what happens to my daughter with soccer!

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This reflects what we see as well.;)