- advertisement -

Can anyone space a minute ?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Nelly91, Dec 31, 2011.

?

Does Type 1 Diabetes run in your family ?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. I dont think so

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nelly91

Nelly91 New Member

I am currently at University and as part of my final year project I have chosen to look at diabetestype 1 medical devices and am interested in parents of children with diabetes who can help me throughout the project. I am interested in this subject as my 8 year old cousin has had diabetes for 3 years now and i would like to help learn as much about diabetes as possible. All I ask is if you can take 2 minutes out to fill in my questionnaire which will remain anonymous and I will use the information to help me in my project.

1. How old is your child/relative?

2. What type of Insulin does your child use?

3. What does your child find difficult about their medication if anything (e.g. Insulin Pen or syringe )?

4. Are they aware of diabetes and how it can affect their bodies?

5. Does your child exercise or take part in any extracurricular activity?

6. Is there something you feel could help you/child/relative with the condition ?

7. Do you think a form of interactive device would help you child learn more about diabetes for a child from 3 to 14?

8. Do you feel you know enough about diabetes ?

9. What products are available to your child (e.g Insulin pump)?

Thankyou soo much for your time if you would like to assist in further questionairres and help with my project reply with your email so i can contact you. Thanks again Danielle

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm a teen with diabetes
    I'm 16

2. What type of medication does your child use?
    umm, insulin is the only med for type 1 diabetes, I'm on humalog insulin

3. What does your child find difficult about their medication if anything (e.g. Insulin Pen or syringe )?
    Umm, everything, taking the place of an organ is just difficult in general. Specifically I'd say night time is tough.

Yup, I'm pretty aware, i've already had two eye surgeries for cataracts

Tennis, Acting, volunteering at church

6. Is there something you feel could help you/child/relative with the condition ?
    A constant glucose monitor

7. Do you think a form of interactive device would help you child learn more about diabetes ?
    No, I learned mostly from reading about real people who really live with diabetes.

you can always know more but I think I've learned enough to take care of myself

I have an animas ping pump, ping meter remote... insulin, test strips, all that good stuff

I hope this helps you, you might want to be more specific on #2, like "What type of insulin is your child on?" unless this is for type 1 and type 2 diabetics, in that case, make two surveys, there different diseases.

3. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

1. How old is your child/relative? 10 years old
    Novolog insulin, he's Type1
    3. What does your child find difficult about their medication if anything (e.g. Insulin Pen or syringe )? Consistent blood glucose control because insulin resistance is a problem for him.
    4. Are they aware of diabetes and how it can affect their bodies? Somewhat
    5. Does your child exercise or take part in any extracurricular activity? Not organized but he is very active.
    6. Is there something you feel could help you/child/relative with the condition ?a continuous glucose monitor!
    7. Do you think a form of interactive device would help you child learn more about diabetes ? Yes, at his age it would help him. The digit has some games that use BG as a point system which is nice.
    8. Do you feel you know enough about diabetes ? No.
    9. What products are available to your child (e.g Insulin pump)?we have an Animas Ping pump, insulin, test strips, glucometer, ketone strips...

Sorry it's so compact.

Thankyou soo much for your time if you would like to assist in further questionairres and help with my project reply with your email so i can contact you. Thanks again Danielle

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Answers are in red.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I am 23

Lantus (insulin glargine) and Novolin R

Nothing.

Yes.

I'm a long distance walker and skateboarder; I also run.

I'd like an insulin pen with a memory, like the novopen echo.

7. Do you think a form of interactive device would help you child learn more about diabetes ?

No.

I think I know as much about type 1 diabetes as do many doctors specializing in diabetes (I don't know much about oral medications), and that it's still not enough.

I use an Accu Chek Aviva meter and strips but my insurance would pay for any other meter of that brand or one or two other brands; I could probably afford to pay out of pocket for another glucometer if I wanted.
    I buy urine glucose and ketone strips and I have bought a blood ketone meter and strips.
    My insurance will cover all insulins for sale in the United States except Apidra and I could probably buy Apidra if I really wanted to. My insurance does not cover reusable insulin pens but I have the money to buy them and used to do so.
    My insurance covers continuous glucose monitors, both Dexcom and Minimed ones. Navigator is not for sale in the United States at the moment. I am using a Dexcom.
    My insurance will cover an insulin pump but I do not want one.
    My insurance will not cover I-ports but I didn't like the I-Port anyway.
    I do not know if my insurance would cover a jet injector.
    My insurance will pay for any brand of syringe except relion.
    My insurance pays for doctor visits for in network and out-of-network doctors (I like my in-network endo) and pays for labwork ordered by any doctor.
    I do not believe my insurance will pay for an auto injector.
    I pay for vial protectors to put on my vials.

6. Nelly91

Nelly91 New Member

Thanks guys i really apreciate your feedback.Your right about the second question i will change it. :)

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Huh?? Is this for everyone or just young adults or parents thereof? Totally missed where you posted this thread.:eek:

8. Nelly91

Nelly91 New Member

Sorry its for children with diabetes type 1 and their parents are those who had diabetes as a child . I can navagate well in the forum I think I've posted my questions maybe in the wrong part .

9. mylemonadelife

mylemonadelife Approved members

2. What type of Insulin does your child use?

novolog and lantus

nothing really related to the insulin. Other than you can do everything the same and get a different result

Yes

Yes, I walk or run 3 to 4 times a week, During the summer I add swimming and biking.

I would love to have the minimed revel. I think it would improve my control because of the smaller dosing, the capture setting, and the changes in cgms monitoring (ranges for times of day, predicting bg)

7. Do you think a form of interactive device would help you child learn more about diabetes for a child from 3 to 14?
    For a young child a teddy bear like the JDRF bear. For a older child to teen, a video game is a wonderful thing. I had two and loved them. Books written by people with diabetes are also helpful at this age because you need someone to relate to.

I know a lot about diabetes, but I don't think you can never know enough. Things are always changing and you must learn as you go. You will experience new events, foods, and things, as you grow and move which involves learning how to manage your diabetes during these new things that are now a part of your life.

These are what I use:
    One touch meter and strips
    Minimed pump, sets, and resevoirs
    Minimed cgms
    insulin pens
    ketone strips
    glucagon