- advertisement -

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabetesMama, Jan 17, 2016.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

is he eating any no calorie sweeteners like splenda or truvia. Those can cause stomach cramps. How about dairy? Ashleigh was able to tolerate dairy until she was about 13 or 14. Then she would start getting bad stomach pains every morning. she always drank a glass of milk with her breakfast. We switched her to lactose free milk and the stomach aches stopped (before switching we even had a endoscopy done to rule out celiacs, acid reflux)

2. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Unfortunately, he has not been eating those things. When he was first diagnosed, we have a run in with sugar free drinks and stuff, and yes, it tore his gut up. We now just let him have the real sugar and just cover for whatever he eats. As far as lactose intolerant, he drinks milk at all meals but was only having the pain in the morning during breakfast. Same with all the other meals, there has always been gluten in just about everything he is eating, but the pain was happening in the morning. Now with no ketones, I am starting to wonder what is going on? He is hovering right around 100 today, but after he eats is when the downward track begins for no reason. Keep any suggestions coming. I appreciate all the hard thinking coming my way because I am just about out of ideas.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

4. DiabetesMama

He has been on these current setting for at least two months without the constant lows. The carb to insulin ratio fluctuated a bit but then settled right back down. He has not had any medications. He had a weird spell right around Christmas that his numbers were super high and would not budge for awhile, but after Christmas was over, he settled right back down into normal numbers and patterns. I can't imagine him needing less insulin because the more he weighs, the more insulin it takes to control that, right? He is getting taller and he is gaining weight, but if he is behind the growth curve, I am unsure. I know they told us to watch his weight because he was gaining more weight than height, so I am unsure of where the levels are now. He was always lagging behind the charts when he was little, so I just figured that he was just going to be a smaller kid. Now I have to wonder if there was more going on, even way back when. What does the no ketones mean? Is that a good sign or just something weird too?

5. DiabetesMama

It has been exactly two and a half hours since he has eaten his Poptarts and milk, and he is cruising at 120 and stable, with 120 being his spike. This is very weird. Could his insulin needs just have changed and everything else have been weird anomalies? He doesn't act sick nor did he show any ketones this morning. He isn't having the sharp pains in his belly anymore either. I wish I could dismiss it from my mind, but the weird lows have me too worried. Just thought I would update after breakfast and I will test for ketones again before lunch too.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

No Ketones in the AM is great, to me that means that 1st basal is good and he is not lacking. 2nd to me it also means that he is absorbing nutrition from his meals and not needing to turn to ketone production for fuel.

Yes I think it is possible that his insulin needs have changed and is needing less, maybe he finished a growth spurt and is less insulin resistant?

7. DiabetesMama

Maybe he has finally slowed down growing like you said. It is so weird though to see him hovering almost all day long right at 100-130. Today he would almost dip under 80 then his body brought it right back up to the 100 range. We have never seen anything like this since he was diagnosed. I will try to post the last 24 hour Dex readings a bit later this evening and show you all the weirdness that just can't be explained. I have not had to give him any juice today at all, but his high spike meals have NOT spiked him at all. And I am talking about Poptarts for breakfast and peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. Just crazy I tell you. Hey, I will gladly except if this is not celiac, but it is kind of alarming either way. I think I should still get him tested on Thursday just for peace of mind though. Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and suggestions. Will post Dex graph in a bit.

8. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Pop tarts and no spike is out of sorts! No way you can relax with that.....constantly wondering when it will end or if something else is lurking. And going to 80 then coming up to hover at 100? Wow. Maybe his pancreas has kicked in for a few days. I have heard growth spurts can cause stomach pain as well. But is he feeling completely fine, no fever, anything amiss besides perfect numbers? Almost Thursday.

9. DiabetesMama

That is what worries me! Those Poptarts should produce SOME effect, right? No, he feels 100% fine. The only time he came up this afternoon was about 4:30 and he hadn't eaten anything. Then he peaked at 150 then started coming down on his own! Then he stops short of 80 again, then starts going back up to 100. Gonna download his Dex here in a second since dinner is done. Be right back with the crazy, weird and unknown. :p

10. DiabetesMama

yesterday's numbers.png Here is yesterday's numbers... And todays...

Attached Files:

11. DiabetesMama

He just went to bed at 88, so I gave him a juice box. I feel so bad for him. He has bags under his eyes and he says he hasn't been sleeping good. He says he keeps waking up at night. I hate this! We are so tired and worn out. I told him what I was worried about and explained why he was going to have blood drawn, so now I think that is what's keeping him up at night. What's worse, to tell him my concerns and gently get him ready for something else to go wrong, or just let him find out in the doctor's office with no warning? I can't figure out which way is the best...but he already knows, so I can't undo that. I hope the test comes back negative. It's just breaking my heart to see him this way. Please just keep praying for us. Thanks for everything.

12. DiabetesMama

We have had a huge turn of events! His numbers are crazy again! I think that's a great thing! Tested right before lunch and he was actually high! I never thought I would be excited when he hit 176, but it is a beautiful number. He even had his "normal" spike in the middle of the night at 12:30 that was 175 then came down after a temp basal, waking up at 106. Should I still get him tested tomorrow, our should we just continue on like nothing happened? If we did get the test run, it would give a bit of reassurance that everything is OK. Any suggestions?

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I would probably still have the test done. After all the worry, I doubt I would be able to let it rest even if his numbers return to normal.

Everything you've said points to a stomach virus..,is it possible he could have been fighting something without any symptoms?

Keep us updated. I hope it was just a fluke!

14. DiabetesMama

Oh, me too! I hope it was just like a "mini bug" or something. That first day when he really had the pains, maybe that was the bug. Up until today, his numbers were really low. But now, he seems like he is back to normal. He almost never gets sick which is a blessing. I think it would help to get the test run and just have the peace of mind knowing that it has been addresses. Thanks to all who have followed our post and prayed for us. We will post what we learn after his appointment tomorrow and follow up with the test results when they come in. Thanks again everyone!

15. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Agree with quiltinmom. I'd get the test anyway.

If I'm not mistaken, my daughter's endo orders this test every year or two as part of the usual T1D follow up labs.

16. DiabetesMama

Yes, I will be requesting it today just in case. I think we will all just feel better having it done and out of the way. His numbers really were weird yesterday. Now they are running high and all over the place. Then he crashed after giving correction, so I was up every half an hour last night because of the Dex alarms! Agh! Hate this disease! Finally gave up and gave him a juice when the temp basal wasn't working fast enough. He is a nice 126 at the moment and just cruising along. A bit higher than I like to see first thing in the morning, but it beats 300's or 70's. I will take what I can get at this point. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers from everyone following us. Will update later this evening after we see what the doctor says.

17. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Let us know how it goes, and good luck! I'm currently fretting about our non-T1 middle child who has all sorts of weird stuff going on, and think we need to rule out celiac for him (I just posted about it in the celiac forum), so I'm right there with you! It is such a weird disease, and you just can't know for sure without those blood test numbers. I hope everything works out for you and your son!

18. DiabetesMama

Snowflake- I will be keeping you and you child in my prayers now that I know you are struggling with this too! I try to keep all of the families here in my prayers, especially when they are up against the unknown. I will let you all know how things go today and keep updating when needed. Today we have been fighting highs like crazy! I have no idea what is going on inside of his body...it is so tiring. Take care everyone and I will be back later tonight. :angel:

19. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Are you getting the celiac antibody test? I read back about 4 pages. My son's clinic did celiac autoantibody at dx, and there is a positive range and then a borderline range, and he was at the very bottom of the borderline range. Then they told me that you can't confirm or rule out celiac without an endoscopy anyway, though positive antibodies AND typical symptoms might be considered enough.

My son has milk and gluten at almost every meal. I wondered though if celiac could cause lows, but then could result in highs from inflammation later, or if lactose intolerance could act similarly. We are going to get another celiac antibody test in February. Days feeling like weeks right now.

20. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Diabetesmama- we went through a period a while back where it seemed like he barely had diabetes. Stomach pain, no other signs. The endo, who is also type 1, said it could be celiac, thyroid, etc. The tests came back negative so I asked him what caused all the craziness. He said, "this is life with diabetes." Really?! That crazy. I hope your son has no more new diagnosis's to deal with, but it could also just be normal for things to be abnormal and unpredictable. I am hoping that as an adult, things aren't so crazy for them. All the questioning is good and necessary to get on track but am coming to realize no matter how hard I try, this disease is impossible to control or predict. It can only be managed. When the going gets tough, solid support is invaluable. When numbers are crazy I feel crazy. There has to be a way to step back from it and not let D affect life that much. During Diabetes Awareness Month JDRF had these pic formats to enter you or your child's picture and it said "Type 1 looks like me." It was catchy and good to raise awareness but I can honestly say I don't like that at all. My kid looks like my kid, not some dead malfunctioning pancreas. [we did use the template to show our support but I wouldn't do it again]. Anyhow, hang in there. We will be here celiac or not.