- advertisement -

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabetesMama, Jan 17, 2016.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

200 to 87 in an hour! Definitely nerve-wracking, but you're doing a great job hanging in there. 4 days feels like forever when things are scary, but you'll both make it until your son's appointment on Thursday. I'm sure you already know this, but there's always an endo on call 24/7 in the event things get crazier than they already are. I wouldn't hesitate to call the on-call endo if you need advice right away.

Just keep doing what you're doing; everything will settle down again (as much as things "settle down" with T1D!) once you get to the bottom of things! Thanks for keeping us posted, and I hope Thursday comes quickly for you.

2. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Related to the other post about lows, we had this same weirdness for about a week in Oct (hence the celiac test). If there was a drop like that, you better believe DS would be asking me to if he could get wild and crazy with the frosted flakes. :p We worry so much and it's a hidden blessing that we CAN worry for them while they are in our care. As an adult, these numbers would be stressing him to the max. I love rgcains encouraging post above. You will make it and get more experienced handling these roller coasters!

3. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Thanks guys. You know the weird thing is that at night when he's sleeping is the most time that he stays stable. He will cruise into the 130's occasionally but when I went to check on his numbers this morning, he was 105 and stable. This whole thing is crazy and I can't wait until I can get some answers. Thanks for all the support! It means more than you know! :glee:

4. DiabetesMama

His numbers have been low all day! He is higher when he sleeps which is abnormal. After a sugary breakfast which usually spikes through the roof, he spiked to 150 then started coming down. Gave juice and a snack but he barely kept above 80. After a peanut butter and jelly sandwich which also makes his go high for a bit, he hit 80 for maybe half an hour, then right back below 80 again. Currently he is 100 and stable. My question is this, can they actually need less insulin as they grow? I thought with all the growing, extra food and hormone surges, more insulin more be needed. My husband asked if maybe his basal just needs to be lowered, but I still think in my gut that there is something more going on here. I just thought I would ask his question to try all different angles. I have never had his insulin needs to decrease except after he was such with a sinus infection. But he hasn' t been sick, so I don't think that is a possibility. Please let me know if maybe I should redo his basals.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well what are his settings at currently? What is his basal and his ratio's?
    How big of a kid is he? Did he just go thru a growth spurt?
    Have you checked ketones? I would expect lows from a digestion issue to mean that he is not absorbing nutrition and would be going to ketosis for a fuel source.

6. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Our daughter's basal needs do occasionally dip for reasons that are totally mysterious. Last week, we had a 3-day period where she had running lows for no discernible reason -- no stomach bug, no glutening that we knew of, no extra exercise (actually less exercise because it was too cold for the playground). We kept expecting her to get sick, but she never did, and before we could make up our minds to change her basal settings, her numbers returned to baseline. Sometimes I wonder if her pancreas has a small amount of residual function that kicks in, or like your guess, that the growth hormones sometimes settle down for a stretch. It doesn't happen often, but we have had periods like that occasionally.

Still, while basal needs fluctuate, some of your earlier descriptions in this string warrant ruling out celiac or other malabsorption causes. What's weird isn't that the basal needs might fluctuate, but the resistance to the low treatments.

7. DiabetesMama

His current carb ratio is 10:1 for about every meal. Usually the breakfast meal and lunch meal he spikes pretty hard, but I have let it ride for awhile. His basal is about 0.8-0.85 throughout the day. He weights about 126 and is about 5'2. He either is in the end of a growth spurt or still in one. He has gained weight since our last doctor's appointment, although the last sheet doesn't say how much he weighted or how tall he was. I know he has gotten taller and bigger because I have already had to replace his church shoes. Hubby is just kind of in shock and maybe a bit of denial that something just isn't right. He wants to think from all angles and find a simple answer, but sometimes that doesn't work. Thanks for trying to help me figure things out. It helps.

8. DiabetesMama

Haven't checked for ketones yet. Should I check first thing in the morning, or would it show up well enough right now?

9. DiabetesMama

Just found another sheet from the last appointment. What are c-peptides? Are those an indication? It says on his diagnosis date that his c-peptides number was 0.6. The range is between 0.7-5.2. Is that a good thing?

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

C-peptide is released from the insulin molecule as it is released. It is the only way to have some idea of how much self-made insulin a T1D has because of the injected insulin in their system.

11. DiabetesMama

So it doesn't have anything to do with celiac? I know that they explained everything on this sheet of paper when he was diagnosed, but I was still stuck on Diabetes. Everything else was flying over my head as they kept on talking. Just wasn't sure if that test had anything to do with celiac. Thanks MomofSweetOne!

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

C-peptide has nothing to do with celiac.

13. DiabetesMama

This has been so crazy today! Since 11:30 am, he has not been above 100. Like someone posted before, if there wasn't something wrong with him, it would be a beautiful graph. But I know these numbers are WAY too easy. Just a few more days until appointment.

Just rereading my first post, and wow, so much has changed from when I posted that first post! The lows just won't stop! I just hope that the nurse won't fight me when I ask for the test. She isn't very cooperative sometimes. My hubby says to just ask for it regardless, and if she won't do it, find someone who will.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

C peptide is a measure of how much insulin he is making on his own, some insurances require this test some people want to see as a gauge of honeymooning. But to get an a curate read of this number it has to be drawn within a certain time period of a meal, not fasting.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If he is having too good to be true numbers yet not dropping or going low overnight I would leave basal the same. I would treat this like a stomach flu and give less insulin in an attempt to avoid treating a low that is non responsive to carbs.

I would want the most data to take to the Dr appointment so I would test fasting ketone , since this started as a morning issue and check ketones before lunch.

I do have to say that my girls tend to have "too good" of numbers when the temp drops and they play outside even if they are dressed warmly. I tend to carb them up prior and they eat/snack/treat during the time they are out. Not sure if this is your first cold season?

16. DiabetesMama

Unfortunately no, this is not our first cold season. We had a real nasty winter last year, but that would have been about a year or less after diagnosis, so it could have blended into the "new to this" phase and not putting two and two together. But the weird thing is, why doesn't his numbers crash at night? We are not outside very much at all. Just two times during this week did he go outside to play in the snow, so that isn't the whole reason for the drop in numbers I don't think. I will test him in the morning with the ketone strips and once before lunch. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe that will shed some light onto the situation.

17. DiabetesMama

Just heading off to bed and he is 96. Gave him a juicebox and will check on him in a few hours. He only spiked to 130 after dinner then coasted right back down to where he is presently. Hope he stables out again and has a good night. Will check for ketones first thing in the morning.

18. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Do you have the blood ketone meter? We got ours for free from Precision. I know you are going to check in the AM, but it can really come in handy during illness and allow you to catch ketones sooner. If you can get the meter I can send you a box of the test strips. I built up some and we rarely use them.

19. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

It's Tuesday; only two days until Thursday. You're doing fine at keeping him from going too low for two long. If your endo or CDE don't want to run a celiac assay, then you need to find a new endo!

Keep hanging in there!

20. DiabetesMama

Just did the ketones test and it came up negative. Would it definitely show up if he has celiac? He is 96 and stable and was hovering around the 100 mark all night except for once when he spiked up to 150 at around 11:45 p.m. Now I am even more confused?