- advertisement -

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabetesMama, Jan 17, 2016.

1. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

More concerns. He is super hungry today, eating like crazy. Not sure if it's because he's going through a growth spurt plus the half an hour playing in the snow we got today. How fast do they start showing symptoms and can they hit all at once? I am glad we have a doctor's appointment next week so I can get some answers. We are now experiencing lows right now, but that could be because of the activity. I hate not knowing what to do or if something else is going wrong. Please respond if you have any advice. Thanks in advance.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

It is possible he had a mild stomach virus--one that caused his stomach cramps, etc. but didn't do anything else. It would explain why he is so hungry today--if he hasn't been absorbing food like he should he will feel "starved." Also could explain the lows (poor absorption). Or maybe the snow. With so many unknown variables, it is hard to know what's happening.

Good luck figuring this out. I hope it is resolved soon.

3. DiabetesMama

Thanks for more suggestions. It's just so worrying when you know what is normal for your child and then something happens out of the ordinary. Just wish I knew what was going on for sure. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers. I will update if there are any more changes.

4. DiabetesMama

He has been having lows since about 1:00 this afternoon. We haven't been outside today so that is definitely out of the picture. Not sure if it's just time to adjust basal levels or if this is more to be concerned about. I am about to start pulling my hair out with frustration. I try not to jump to conclusions or at shadows, but there is a lot of unknowns and unusual things happening all at once. I don't believe in borrowing trouble, but this is just really strange. When we get the blood test done, how soon do we get the results? Do they have to draw blood or is it a finger stick? I just want to be prepared and be able to warn him before we go. I think it's better for him to know up front if they are going to have to draw blood or not. Please let me know what basic procedure is if you can. Thanks for all suggestions and support.

5. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We had our son tested for Celiac at his last visit. They drew from the arm. We got results a couple weeks later. I would say though, that if he had a mild stomach virus he could run low for 1-2 weeks afterwards. I would decrease his basal and I:C's and then at some point he will jump back up if it was caused by a virus. I would keep lowering basals (do temps for 2-3 hours to see if it helps-maybe 70% to start depending on how frequent and how low he's going). With the stomach cramps, something definitely bothered him so his absorption could be off. Ice cream (specifically Breyers Blasts Reduced Fat Oreo) is a favorite here when treating numbers that are trending below 100 as it doesn't give a sharp spike later on. YDMV though! Hope he feels better soon. We had a rough night last night with a stubborn high despite playing the snow almost 5 hours. I tell ya, diabetes never plays by the rules!

6. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

For us, it was a blood draw. It took a little over a week to get the antibody results back.

In our case, the antibody results were pretty clear but we wanted the certainty of an endoscopy diagnosis. After we got the blood draw results, it took two weeks to get in with a Gi doc, and another two to schedule the scope. But I think these days a lot of docs are moving toward making the diagnosis on the blood test alone. Good luck! I hope it's just a hangover from a stomach bug! Let us know what you hear at the appointment.

7. DiabetesMama

Thank you for letting me know what the procedure looks like. I will let him know up front that way he can be prepared for it. I just am so confused with all the weird things happening because it's hit and miss with all of it. Like he was high for two or three hours prior to the lows he was experiencing. He only got the stomach cramping only in the morning during breakfast. He was only eating like crazy a few times over the last week. None of the weird things have happened consistently all the time or everyday. ??? He eats gluten stuff at every meal, so wouldn't he feel icky after every meal? This is even more confusing than the D-monster itself! His numbers are back at 103 right before bed and usually that's his sweet spot. He should just cruise through the night right around there and wake up at about 110-120. Just at a loss to know what to do or think. Did your son's test turn out positive or is he OK? Sorry that you are also dealing with this at the same time as having a new baby in the house too! You are SuperMom! You are in my prayers and I hope things go well for you and your family.

8. DiabetesMama

Thanks Snowflake for letting me know about a normal time frame of all the procedures. I am hoping that it might just be from something else, but only time will tell and a blood test. This just adds to all the normal stress of everything and makes me watch him like a hawk, always wondering in the back of my mind if he has this other diagnosis coming around the corner. The D-monster is bad enough! No one should have to deal with more than one disease at a time! But we all know that diseases don't play by the rules. Thanks for the info and I will definitely keep updating as the week goes on.

P.S.- I just now noticed that you too had a new baby added to the ranks. You also have my admiration and are a SuperMom! Keep doing what you're doing!

9. forHisglory

I've been thinking about your family and will definitively keep your son in prayer. Playing detective with diabetes...you are a fantastic parent. The bumps are so stressful. Maybe it's puberty and a stomach virus. He will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him because he trusts in Him. Ride the wave and things will hopefully calm down. I'm sure if you post some data others will chime in to help. Hugs to you mama!

10. DiabetesMama

Thanks so much! There is always a struggle to keep calm and just trust, but it does help when others are praying for you and offering support. I sure hope that things will smooth out soon and maybe we can get some answers. It is so hard sometimes to just let go all our worries to Him and just know that He will help us get through anything. There are so many people here who have blessed my life and have helped me through this whole ordeal and I am so grateful. Thanks to all who have raised our family in prayers!

11. DiabetesMama

OK. Now really worried. I fed him two cinnamon rolls and a glass of milk for breakfast which usually spikes him through the roof. We did add some extra insulin just to be on the safe side, but now he is crashing down and hard! He is 55 and diagonally falling on the Dex! He never spiked at all! He is getting juice and crackers as we speak, but even the extra carbs don't seem to be working like usual. I am now more sure of my gut feeling that this might be celiac. Should we stop all gluten? I heard that you shouldn't do that before the test is done, but we have until Thursday before we go to the doctor's appointment. How do I deal with this until we know for certain? I would post his Dex graph, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I will see if I can't work on that in a few minutes. Please just keep us in your prayers and if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I have now entered panic mode which is never a good place to be!

12. DiabetesMama

dexcom pic of last 24 hours.png Yeah! I figured it out! So, here is the last few hours...weird I tell you!

13. DiabetesMama

Dexcom pic of Saturday.png Here was yesterday's graph too.

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Do you know how to use "mini glucagon" in the event that you just cannot seem to get your son's BG up? I will search right now and post a link for you.

http://www.hhsc.ca/documents/Patient%20Education/GlucagonMiniDose%2Dlw.pdf

There you go!

Just wanted to add that mini-glucagon is not just for when your child can't keep anything down. I wouldn't hesitate to use this technique if my child was significantly low, trending lower, and not responding to fast carbs. You need to be sure that you are giving your child enough carbs and are waiting for them to come up. But how long is long enough? I think you just get a feeling in your gut when you are approaching the point of no return (i.e. loss of consciousness and seizure). Better safe than sorry!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  15. rgcainmd

Although it could be something other than celiac, celiac is first in my differential diagnosis list whenever one just can't seem to get a child's BG up with what should be an adequate number of carbs within a reasonable time frame (IF the child is able to keep food and liquids down).

You're correct: do NOT restrict gluten now if you want accurate test results.

Keep hanging in there, and keep us posted.

16. rgcainmd

Sorry for the serial posts! You asked what to do until your appointment on Thursday? I'd run him a little high if you are afraid he will go low and you won't be able to bring him up. A few days of higher-than-usual BGs will likely do no lasting harm.

You are in my thoughts!

17. forHisglory

Wow, if he wasn't sick those graphs would be awesome. Can you turn off all basal or reduce by 90% for now? If he's going into the 50's despite carbs, I would until you can keep him at a reasonable range. I second the mini glucagon strategy. Does your endo office have an on-call physician? I wouldn't hesitate to call them. And, call the office tomorrow and tell them the lows you are experiencing. They make work you in faster (ours will do it same day in this scenario). I would be frazzled too.

18. DiabetesMama

Right after posting the first graph, I had him eat some crackers and drink a juice box. Then he started to climb straight up and is at the moment 194 and diagonally going up! He had lunch and I booted him outside to play in the snow. I can see him and monitoring him with the Dex while I am trying to figure out what more to do. So he is responding sometimes to the carbs, like this afternoon, but last night, no dice. I just don't know what to think! I love the look of those graphs, but it's unnerving when you know that it's not the norm and the numbers came too easily. I know what meals should spike him, I know what is normal for his eating and bathroom habits, so when things get weird, my alarm bell starts going off. His color has been kind of pasty too, kind of how he looked in the beginning before he was diagnosed. I read somewhere that this can also be a sign of celiac.

19. DiabetesMama

Thanks rgcainmd for all the insight! Will definitely look that site over before the hour is done. He just now hit 200 and is stable. It took from 11:00 am until now for him to make it to 200. Usually a juice box will start bringing him up within 30-35 minutes and he levels off, but today? Who knows what's going on? My nerves are going to be shot before everything is over and done with. They will probably just roll me over to the psyche ward after his appointment is over, if I make it that long! I am always so nervous to make a lot of drastic changes in his insulin amounts because things get so crazy. Now it's crazy without any changes on our end, which makes it hard to figure out what needs to be changed. Will keep updating as needed.

20. DiabetesMama

Just got him back inside about 20 minutes ago and now he's 87 and stable. He was 200 and remained high for about 25 minutes before dropping like a rock. Had to give him a juicebox when he got in because the arrow was straight down. So that was 200 to 87 in an hour! Our graph now looks like a roller coaster ride! At least he is stable for the moment.