- advertisement -

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabetesMama, Jan 17, 2016.

1. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

For the past five days my son has been having severe stomach pains during breakfast and has to go the bathroom. His diet hasn't changed and he is not sick. I am worried about possible celiac, but there are things I am curious about. He hasn't had the stubborn lows, low absorption, or any other symptoms. He also eats pretty much the same thing everyday, he eats all kinds of things that has gluten in it, but he only has the problem first thing in the morning. My husband thinks that maybe it's just slight constipation, but I figured that this is the best place for advice. Just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this, or maybe some thoughts on the matter? He has a doctor's appointment next Thursday, can they just run a blood test or what is involved? Am I jumping at shadows or is this a serious concern? :confused:

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Have you checked ketones in the am? Is he low in the am?

With my youngest if she complains of stomach ache in the am it is either she is low has been low for a bit. Or her fasting ketones are edging close to 1.0

There was a time when we had to make sure she got a bolused snack that had fat and protein right before bed.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'd have the blood test done for celiac disease (tTG-IgA). A relatively small percentage of people with other autoimmune disorders (including Type 1 diabetes) receive a false positive test and the only way to definitively rule out celiac disease is with a small intestine biopsy. It is important NOT to follow a gluten-free diet prior to testing, as this can lead to a false negative result. Good luck and let us know what happens.

4. DiabetesMama

No, he is usually between 100-120 first thing in the morning, depending on how our night went. He doesn't get the stubborn lows, and nothing has changed except he is in the first part of yet another growth spurt. Just wondering if it is worth worrying about yet or if this a warning sign of things to come. I will mention it to his doctor next week and see if they can do a blood test.

5. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

My son has tummy pain after eating bread or a high carb meal sometimes for a few days. I had the exact same concerns as you. His endo ruled out celiac with the blood test (for now) and no appendicitis (which can fester off and on and be hard to diagnose and also present differently but usually with fever). We never got an answer but he has no other GI symptoms so I guess he's fine? Ped told us to try Tums because acid reflux can cause stomach pain. It does seem to help him.

6. DiabetesMama

Wow. That seems weird to me that acid reflux would cause that, but thanks for the info. Glad your little one is OK. Hope we can rule celiac out at his appointment next Thursday. We have so many stressful things going on right now and that would be almost unbearable at this very moment, but that is just how it goes sometimes. Diseases never play fair. Hope all is going well for you and your new addition. Take care. ��

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I had a friend's kid that ended up being Lactose intolerant and they choose to go lactose free rather than taking lactaid. It is hard sometimes it is a zebra and not a horse.

8. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

It could be lactose intolerance. Is he having milk with breakfast. Small amounts at other meals might not have a noticeable effect, but a larger amount, say in cereal could do. I can tolerate Mac and Cheese, but not milk in cereal or straight milk unless I take lactaid.

9. DiabetesMama

Could be. I am lactose intolerant, so it might be that. But would it just start bothering him so suddenly? He has been eating the same general thing for months and just now it is bothering him? I didn't put two and two together until I was in my early thirties then realized that the only thing in common was the milk. I will try giving him some of my milk tomorrow and see if that might help! Thanks for the suggestion! I will update tomorrow after breakfast.

10. forHisglory

I didn't think of acid reflux in a child, but the fact that it would appear suddenly and he described it as a sharp pain is in line with excess gastric acid production. The abdominal portion of the esophagus is usually affected. Anyhow, we use the tums and he's fine again in about 10-15 minutes. I've had 2 peds suggest it to me now. The lactose intolerance sounds like another good idea but I always thought it was more abdominal/intestinal cramps and loose stool, but perhaps there are varying degrees.

11. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

It's definitely worth ruling out celiac, since CD is such a chameleon and can manifest with such a variety of idiosyncratic symptoms. And the other posters have made good suggestions about looking into lactose intolerance and reflux.

But if it turns out that there's nothing medical going on, is it possible that this is a psychosomatic thing? Like, is there something going on at school or his friend group that he might be stressed about? I know my dd (who is at a different age and developmental stage than your kid) manifests anxiety as tummy aches, at times when they're clearly not related to illness or gluten. Just thought I'd throw it out there as one more avenue to investigate! Good luck and keep us posted!

12. DiabetesMama

Well this morning he didn't have to go to the bathroom as soon as he began eating, so now I am stumped. He said that he didn't like my lactose free milk and he could taste the difference. (Rolling eyes right now). I told him that it is better than dealing with an upset tummy if he is lactose intolerant. Yesterday he went to the bathroom later in the day but it wasn' t as painful with the cramping. Don' t know what to do except maybe give it some time and just monitor the situation and tell the doctor next week about what happened and request a blood test for peace of mind. I hate this disease. Thanks for all input and suggestions. If I am overlooking any symptoms please let me know. Celiac is totally new to our family as well. We didn' t have any clue what type 1 was until his diagnosis. Boy, what a wake-up call this has been! All you parents dealing with this on top of the D-monster, you are super parents! Will keep posting as we find out what is going on.

13. DiabetesMama

Oh, sorry I forgot to answer the other question about him possibly being under stress... He is homeschooled and unless his teacher is getting on his nerves, (that would be me, giggles) no, he isn't under any stress. There aren't any kids in his group at church who are bothering him so I don' t think that it's stress related. I also will get tummy aches if under stress, but as far as I know he is just fine. He got down about the D-monster before Christmas, but I think he will keep having rough days like all of the kids here. It's good that he talks about it though. Thanks for the suggestion.

14. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Is his upcoming appointment with his pediatrician or his endo? If you're seeing the endo, you might also seek input over the phone from the primary doctor. They might know of bugs going around your community, or have other thoughts about possible causes besides celiac or the other hunches you're following (if it turns out not to be celiac or lactose intolerance).

Good luck!

15. forHisglory

Praying he feels better soon and you guys get some answers. I hope celiac is ruled out. It's got to be a rough diagnosis on top of D. He doesn't like Lactaid...I can't blame him! Lol ;)

16. DiabetesMama

Thanks for the prayers! Always appreciated! We are seeing the nurse this appointment. They go back and forth between a nurse and his actual endo, maybe because of the sheer volume of kids? I never understood that one, but it seems to work ok. I certainly hope that we can rule this out but we just have to roll with the punches, even when they are hard ones. I will keep everyone informed about what we learn or if there are any more unusual symptoms. Thanks for the help.

17. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

18. DiabetesMama

Thanks! Need all the help we can get! :triumphant:

19. Amanda e

Amanda e Banned

i hope he feels better soon he in my prayers.

20. DiabetesMama

Thanks for all the support! I love this place!