advertisement

Can a Type 2 diabetic child have trace antibodies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 2' started by ReneeWittman, Jul 6, 2012.

1. ReneeWittman

ReneeWittman Approved members

Can a type 2 child who is slightly overweight but active and conservative in his eating actually have trace antibodies? My child had the antibodies test and it came back as having trace amounts, but they diagnosed him with type 1 after some discussion of MODY. I wonder if he really has MODY instead, but I don't want to pretend to know more than the endocrinologist because I certainly don't but I wonder because he has so many of the characteristics for MODY. I thought any sign of antibodies would point to either type 1 or MODY.

2. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

My son was initially diagnosed as T2, but diagnosis was changed to T1 when he tested positive for low levels of two T1 antibodies. He was subsequently tested for MODY and the genetic testing was positive. If you are suspecting MODY, I would recommend that you request genetic testing. It's unusual for someone with MODY to have T1 antibodies, but it's definitely possible. :)

Christine

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Trace levels of antibodies are considered normal and not indicative of anything. For a person to be antibody positive for any particular antibody, the level has to be above the lab's cut off.
    My GAD antibodies were 5x upper limit or normal, and ICA 512 was more than 50x upper limit of normal- but there was a positive normal number, else they would have been infinitely greater. My celiac antibodies are normal, but they're not zero.

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

My son's levels were above the cutoff for normal, but not hugely high like yours. I thought she was referring to levels above normal, but I could definitely be mistaken. Hopefully she'll clarify when she comes back.:)

Christine