- advertisement -

Camp refusing to give insulin claiming they are state operated

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Wendyb, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

This is our first time running into such a thing. My son is attending the Z orth Carolina Arboretum camp in Asheville for a week. My husband attends each day to help with testing, carb counting and boluses. Today- the first day they told my husband that the staff could not assist due to state funding. My husband was prepared as always to help but wanted to take a break and go to the YMCA for an hour. A teacher was willing to assist as her relative had diabetes but was told that she could not.

What rights do we have in regard to state funded
    Camp? Although we can assist, other parents of type ones may not and would be excluded.

What are our rights at a state funded camp. Even though we can provide the hands on help other parents may not be able to and their children would be excluded.

We

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would think its the exact OPPOSITE, if they are receiving state/federal funding then they have to abide by the ADA.. It doesn't stop at schools, daycares and summer camps are including.. Your husband shouldn't have to hang out there all day.

The day camp my oldest is going to is private.. but they have a child with diabetes there, they do her testing, they treat, they've been trained in glucagon, and help her count her carbs.. I never thought to ask for Kaylee (especially since she does go to D camp, this was Jaylin's 'special' thing).. but its nice to know that if we can't afford D camp, she does have a camp close by that would be willing to do these things for her.

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

If they are state funded you can bet they are also Federally funded. Ask them to show you the law that says they are not allowed to provide D care. I can tell you this. They are a public accommodation and therefore must obey ADA Law and provide accommodation for your son.
    Here is a link that may help. http://www.diabetes.org/assets/pdfs/know-your-rights/public-accommodations/factsheet-diabetesdiscriminationandpublicplacesandgovernmentprograms.pdf
    You can also call 1-800-Diabetes and they should have more information. Wishing you the best.

5. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

They claim they can't give meds. They named a medical clinic up the street that they will take kids to if they need medical attention.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Monitoring blood sugar and giving food where needed is not giving medicine. Are they unwilling to even monitor the blood sugar?

7. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I live in NC, if they are funded by ONE federal dollar, they MUST abide by ADA guidelines and meet the needs of your child, including adminstering insulin. We went through this with a daycare for our son when he was first diagnosed.
    Call the ADA legal deptartment and tell the camp you are doing so.

I went to the hompage; it is affiliated with the NC Arboretum and I found this:

It is federally funded and they CANNOT deny the needs of your child.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Wendy, I filed a complaint with OCR against my son's summer camp. The process doesn't move fast enough to help you this summer, but if your son would attend the camp next summer, and you want to get accommodations for him, PM me, and I can talk more about the process with you.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

I suggest taking Karla up on the offer if you get to the point of filing a discrimination complaint with OCR.

The ADA may be able to help you in the short term - sometimes pointing out to them the error will make changes happen but as camp has started and it is Tuesday already. The camp may not be required to give insulin but I would think they should be able to assist with blood glucose monitoring (confirming number, treating lows) and be trained on emergency procedures - like glucagon.

What do they do for kids with severe allergies who may need an epi-pen? Do they take them "up the road" to the clinic?

10. hawkeyegirl

At the camp my son is attending, they expect them to self-administer. Of course they'll call an ambulance for them too. :rolleyes:

11. selketine

That is amazing. Usually their policy on epi-pens is a good indicator of the care standard. If they refuse to do epi-pens then you know you are in trouble.

12. hawkeyegirl

I was absolutely flabbergasted. This is a large, public community college running the camps. State and federal funds galore. They are idiots.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maybe I missed this, but is the camp reneging on an earlier commitment to administer insulin? And if so, who on staff did they have down as the go to person? Was it a nurse or a staffer? I guess I'm trying to understand if this was a policy shift, or an individual's refusal to go along with the informal plan.

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This camp is totally wrong, totally. Take Karla up on her offer. I'd also ask for the law they are siting that says they can't 'give medication'.

15. selketine

The OP didn't specify what type of assistance they were asking for - not sure if administering insulin was part of it.

16. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Gosh that's terrible. Sounds like you guys have gone above and beyond to make this work, too. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Title of thread, "Camp refusing to give insulin claiming they are state operated".

I wasn't asking to be snarky. :cwds: I was just not understanding if they had said they would and then changed their mind. I was asking for the benefit of anyone with a younger D kid who might learn a better way to structure the preplanning in the future so as to avoid this problem.