- advertisement -

Calling all Canadian CWD'ers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ShanaB, Sep 23, 2009.

1. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I am calling on all Canadian CWD'ers (and those from the US and around the world if this interests them).

Many of you may know that I am very passionate about getting legislation in place to protect our children in school. I can't believe that with the exception of NB, there are no laws in place to protect our children and afford them a safe and equal education. I started by writing my MPP to ask for support and got a ridiculous response (posted a couple weeks ago). I have since been in contact with the Canadian Diabetes Association who were very helpful in giving me some direction. This won't be an overnight battle and there are a lot of obstacles in the way but the only way we can change things is by uniting and finding strength in numbers.

I/the cause needs your brains and your voice so if you want to get involved please reply on this thread or send me a PM. This won't just benefit our children with T1 but will also benefit those with other life threatening conditions such as asthma and epilepsy.

I have come to learn in the last six months what cwd'ers can do when they unite on a cause, let's kick some butt and change some policy!

2. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Present! As I'm from NB, I don't have anybody to complain to, but let me know if there's anything that I can do to help. I hate to see children, especially the Diabetic children not be treated fairly in my own country. Maybe I could be a testimonial reference on how well the 704 is working out for Emma in her school?

3. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

Any help I can give I will do my best. There are laws here but John's school isn't going by them.

4. Carmen

Carmen Approved members

I am in, too. I will do whatever is needed.

I live in Ontario also. My son goes to school (Grade 1) and I had to fight hard to obtain the Board's agreement to the lunch injection (I cannot go every day to administer the insulin so I needed someone to go and do it) and to the Glucagon. I still cannot believe it that they agreed to the Glucagon!!

Last summer I got involved in the review of the policy which governs the Diabetes management in schools in Ontario. I wrote long letters and I always gave as example the NB law (thank you, Tim!). From what I can see, the CDA's guidelines are not respected for children in schools in Ontario.

A lot of work needs to be done!

5. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Tim you have been marked as present and get 10/10 for participation :)

One thing I do want to research is who/what group was responsible for taking care of business in NB and how did they got legislation passed. From what I understand there will be two main points of resistance; money and the teacher unions. The CDA highlighted this morning that they have seen cases of schools or individual teachers who want to be trained but their union won't allow it for liability reasons. If the Govt won't put nurses in schools due to budgetary constraints and the teachers are not allowed to help (this means no checking, dosing, or glucagon) because of liability, our children are left helpless, especially the little ones.

I see this as a Human Rights issue and will also be contacting the OHRC for guidance.

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

.ertal niaga yrt ll'I .ereh gniht emas eht gniod s'ti tub ,uoy MP ot deirt I ?ereh no gniog si kceh the.tahw..anahS

7. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

ok that is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Funny thing, I can read backwards and pretty much understand what you have typed. I have no idea what is going on :confused::confused:

8. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

I am in. I presently am going every day and sometimes doing 3 blood sugar checks in the a.m. There needs to be nurses back in these schools. I have talked to our board of education and they just don't get it. I have emailed McGuinty and our local mpp and there has been no response from either. What about starting with the bill that got turned down in March. There were parents behind that bill. The names of the nayers are posted ...do we contact them all individually? I am not sure where to begin. It's been a rough start for JK for us ....they need separation from their parents yet I have to be there....to put it bluntly it sucks.

9. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

the response from Dalton McGuinty

Thanks for your online message about your child?s education, and school safety. I appreciate the time you took to contact me.

Our government wants all students to be healthy and safe so that they are able to concentrate on learning. Teachers and other school staff play an important role in ensuring students? health and safety, including students with diabetes and other life-threatening illnesses. Our Healthy Schools Framework emphasizes creating a supportive social environment by establishing a consistent set of safety procedures and resources in schools. For further information, please visit www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents/healthyschools.html.

You may be aware that, although funded by the provincial government, Ontario?s school boards are self-governing bodies and are responsible for ensuring the safety of students and staff. I would therefore encourage you to continue your dialogue with your school board, as they would be in the best position to address your concerns.

You may also wish to contact my colleague the Honourable Kathleen Wynne, Minister of Education. The minister can be reached by post at Public Inquiries Unit, 2nd Floor, 880 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario, M7A 1N3, by phone toll-free at 1-800-387-5514, by fax at 416-325-6348, or you can fill out the ministry?s online feedback form at www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/about/contact.html.

The safety and well-being of all our students is of paramount importance to our government. We will continue to work together with parents, students, teachers, principals, school boards ? and all our partners in education ? to protect those students living with life-threatening illnesses and to make a meaningful difference in the lives of Ontario?s youth.

Thanks again for contacting me. Please accept my best wishes for you and your family.

Dalton McGuinty
    Premier of Ontario

10. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

I know what a beaver tail is and can say gidday with a good Ottawa valley accent ... does that count?

I have family in Ontario (Ottawa and valley) and Quebec (Hull and Montreal) who may be up for sending letters, once you get to that point. I'll try to keep up with what you are doing, but if you get a list going, could you put me on it?

Thanks!

11. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Thanks for posting the response Kim. He is correct, school boards are self governing and what might apply to one may not apply to another. However, you have witnessed first hand what happens when a board is not willing to offer any accommodations -- what are you supposed to do now? Perhaps he can answer that. It's also very short sighted to think that just because your kid is ok in school that it is the end of the problem, what about all the other kids across Ontario and Canada for that matter? I want to push for a solution for all kids in Ontario and hope it catches on for other provinces.

Carmen and I are contacting the Ontario Human Rights Commission and I also have a message in to ARCH (advocacy research centre -- they work on disability issues and apparently school/education issues are a BIG deal with them). Tim is also trying to have the person/group responsible for enacting the NB law to contact us so I can get an idea of how they went about it -- what was effective and what wasn't.

After speaking at length to the CDA today I have an idea of what has to be done, however, it's a lot of work and I want to make sure our efforts are being put in the right place. We also have to figure out exactly what we are fighting for because originally I thought the CDA draft legislation would be it but after reading and re-reading I realize it only really makes accommodations for glucagon and won't help little ones overcome the testing/dosing issue. Great that they are looking to implement the 'life saving' mechanism but how are we supposed to handle the day-to-day? We need the NB plan and we need to figure out how to get there.

12. mickey's mom

mickey's mom Approved members

13. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I'm in Ontario.
    We homeschool so I have no first hand knowledge about how things work in school and haven't paid much attention to the issue to be honest as it isn't really on my radar.
    I do have an in though with someone who has worked in communications at a high level of the Ministry/Teacher's union and may be able to give me some insight into how to get school boards behind this. Let me know how I can help.

Karen

14. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

:D I'm a Canadian CWD'er! :D
    I too, live in NB.. so I'm thankful and fortunate that the 704 was in place and the process was so smooth in the spring this year when ds was dx'd and after 3 days in the hospital (tues-thurs) he was right back at school with everything in place for his care on Monday!

I'll help in any way I'm able to if I can! I went to school in Ontario if that helps any.. at least I've experienced the school system there. As well, I have siblings with children going or about to go in the school systems, so I could have them chime in with letters as well when you get to that point. :)

15. skimom

skimom Approved members

I'm a fellow canuck - in sunny (and way too hot) Alberta. My kids are 14 and 19 and we have been dealing with schools for 5 years. I am curious as to what exactly you want in the school? I haven't had any trouble with any of the accomodations I've asked for (never asked for glucagon as my instructions are to call 911 in that scenario)- All I had to do was provide information and I had to attend a couple of meetings for each child so everyone knew what was going on. I had to sign a form giving permission for my children to take insulin at school as required. SOn's principal was T1 so he was totally cool.When my son went to outdoor school (backcountry skiing) for a week, the instructor had back country advanced training which included injections so all was good too.
    I never had to deal with a wee one with diabetes but from my experience with teaching students, and with my daughter's elementary, they were very accomodating!!
    HOwever, if I can help somone have as smooth a journey as we have had, then I'm in too

16. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

It sounds like you have a wonderful, supportive school...that's awesome! It could be that it is the Ontario schools that are lacking and I'm sure it's not all of them. However, I've heard stories (on this board and IRL) that the young child with diabetes has zero support. It's not even just glucagon but no school personnel will test, count carbs, or dose. Either a parent has to come in and do all of it or an outside nursing agency. The nursing agency sounds great but when they come in on their schedule which is no where near meal time or come in once at lunch and then the child is left with no support for the rest of the day, it becomes very problematic. The CDA confirmed that a lot of the teachers/schools want to help but the unions won't allow it because of liability issues. Where does that leave the very young child? So what I/we want is a right to a safe and equal education for our kids in Ontario/Canada. I can't even imagine sending Emma off to school in 3 years with zero support -- I feel I have to try and do something.

Just also wanted to thank everyone who has posted with their support -- strength in numbers...we'll make a difference.

17. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

And might I add that families sometimes have to go to one working parent. I just ran across another one yesterday. Her daughter is now 15 but when she was dx she was 3 as well and the mom stayed home and went to the school multiple times a day. There is a link somewhere when the bill was presented at Queens Park and the mpp presenting it did reference parents who were going through the same thing.

I have talked to the board here and to our school -- thinking maybe since it is a small school they might accomodate but their hands are tied --due to union. They have gone through an educations session with our diabetes centre, they have low bs treatment kits in 3 areas of the school, and they have what to do in an emergency posted in staff areas.

Just also wanted to thank everyone who has posted with their support -- strength in numbers...we'll make a difference.[/QUOTE]

18. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

I'm in! (I have about 3 seconds to write my reply, I'll be back to read all the posts)