- advertisement -

Calibrating CGMS

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by funnygrl, Aug 16, 2010.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I know a CGMS calibration takes 15 minutes to take effect. I also know it's best to calibrate while stable. After calibrating, do you wait 15 minutes to eat?

2. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Yes, or longer if you can. I prefer to calibrate outside of meals all together.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Hmm....we try to be stable and on the lower end of the "good" range but after the cal is done he often eats - I can't tell that messes with the cal - this is for the Nav though.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I eat less than 15 minutes after cals sometimes. Not fast acting sugar, but normal meals which don't have an effect on my BG in the 15 minutes a cal takes to have an effect. I use the MM CGMS, and my accuracy is generally good.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've found that unless the meal is super high-glycemic, it's okay if he just waits 5-10 minutes to eat. I try to do 10 minutes, but when it has been 5, we've been fine too.

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

With the first cal of a newly inserted sensor I wait at least 20 minutes and I try to keep it low glycemic. Every cal after that I have her wait at least 10 minutes -- also, we prebolus anyway so the wait doesn't seem so long.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Yes, we also try to wait 15 min. before eating.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I calibrate when it tells me to, this week it's just after I drink my breakfast at 5:50 a m , and an hour before I cook supper

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

We have found that it doesn't really matter, which is consistent with what Dexcom has told us. We enter BG every time it's off more than 10 or 15% and have had wonderful results. Personally, I think it has everything to do with the sensor. Right before vacation last week the receiver lost vibration so I had them FedEx the new one to the resort. So, last week we had two sensors. We kept the new one as primary and entered BG every time over 10-15% and the other one when it was in range I would enter BG every now and again. They were both tacking really well and in agreement with one another.

FWIW. I have reached the conclusion that accuracy has almost everything to do with the linearity and reproducibility of the sensor and very little to do with calibration.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we tend to calibrate whenever..we don't wait to eat.. unless there is something funky going on.

11. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

We always try to wait out the 15 minutes. I do think it helps with the minimed system.