- advertisement -

Calculations for diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sugarsmom, Nov 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sugarsmom

sugarsmom New Member

Please share with me if you know any calculations for diabetes dosing in children (not adults or teens).

For example, calculating normal daily requirments based on weight, etc.

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

If you know your total daily dose you can figure these out using the 1800 rule, the 500 rule, and start with 40% TDD for basal. Then tweak from there. Think Like a Pancreas does a great job explaining this. Good luck and welcome!

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

And/or if you are pumping, Pumping Insulin has good charts for approximate ratios etc based on weight and TDD

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

Calculations only work if your child is "in the box" for his or her needs. The number 1 thing to do is basal testing. Get you basal right or nothing else can be, because everything else will then have to compensate for the basal being wrong. Once you get your basal pretty close it's relatively easy to get carb ratios and ISF set. The worst part is most kids HATE basal testing, and I can't blame them for it..

5. sugarsmom

sugarsmom New Member

the 1800 rule is not working for my child. 24u per day. 1800 divided by 24 = 75. For a child, before puberty, and ISF of 1:75 would kill her. She is at 1:160 for her ISF. My understanding is after puberty, with all the hormones, ISF should drastically decrease, but we are not there yet. Not honeymooning either. Just a kid.