- advertisement -

Cake gel- what's it called in French & German?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by StillMamamia, Apr 22, 2008.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I've read on here you can use cake gel to rub on the gums in case of bad hypo, if the person cannot chew/swallow properly.
    Do any of you in French and German speaking countries know what it is called in French or German? Any brand names?

Thanks

2. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

I would be surprised if such a product was even available in France or Germany. It seems like such an American type of thing. Here is more information, if you don't know what it is:
    http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=344
    It's used to draw on cakes. You might still be able to get a dextrose gel product in other countries as another product, though.

3. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

Dr Oetker is a Deutsche baking company. I've seen their cake gel and other products for sale over here in Finland. So I think you could find some sort of cake gel in Europe.

4. StillMamamia

We never heard of it being used to raise a low over here...have endo appt in a couple of weeks and will mention this...we just use dextrose tabs or juice to raise a low.

Thanks for the link:cwds:

5. StillMamamia

Oh, ok. I've used Dr. Oetker cake mixes before...do you know the German word for cake gel?

6. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

I was thinking gel, but I don't think thats cake icing. I'll see if I can find it. I can't find my german dictionary.

7. StillMamamia

Would the cake gel be like the sports gel which sports people use (PowerGel, ActiveGel)??? Is this the same type of gel?? My husband is telling me he's used this when he's felt 'weak' during volleyball.

8. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

no it's basically colored cake icing in a tube.

Try looking for kuchenglasur. That's what I think the translation might be.

9. StillMamamia

Kitos (sorry for the spelling:eek:)...Thanks, that word I've heard here.

10. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

ole hyvää :)

Next time I'm in the store, I'll look more carefully at the brand names. I think most of the cake gel here is imported and not Finnish brands.

11. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

I went on the german webside of Dr. Oetker, however I could not find any Kuchenglasur or another word Tortenglasur, they had everything in packages to prepare first and that's not what you need. I think it would be easier to find an american brand.

12. StillMamamia

Ok, I think I found it...I bought one from the brandname Vahiné, and in French it's 'Crayon Pâtissier' (préparation gélifiée sucrée)...used to write on cakes. I think it's this?!

Still haven't found it in German, though.

The Dutch name (on the French package also) is 'Tekenpotlood voor Gebak' (gesuikerde gelifieerbereiding)...just in case.

It comes in a medium tube (like a toothpaste tube).

13. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

Yup that's what it is! In one store all they had was Dr Oekter brand icing gel, but I don't know why they don't list it on their site? I did find another German brand, but I forgot the name of it. :eek: I'll try to remember to write it down next time.

14. StillMamamia