- advertisement -

Caelin is pumping, says bolus hurts?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaelinsMommy, May 24, 2010.

1. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

Caelin is pumping :D When I bolus her she says it hurts. I'm not sure if it mentally hurts, she feels the pump vibrate and thinks it should hurt, or if she really feels the bolus. Some insight please. (She's using her belly for sites and the pump is set to slow)

2. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

My friend's daughter has the same type of pump and also says she can feel the bolus ... I think the ping boluses at a faster rate.

Lisa

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Sounds frustrating...I hope you guys figure it out soon.

Do you think she means it gives a burning sensation? Do you store your current vial at room temp or in refrigerator?

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

You may have hit a bad spot. Not that the site is "bad," just that it's a sensitive spot for whatever reason. Sometimes my daughter says the boluses hurt, usually they don't. She's on the pod.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've had 3 pumps, and with each bolus I can feel it, I've found that extended boluses hurt less though, less insulin at a time, so I do all regular foods on 15 minute boluses(for other reasons as well) and harder to digest foods, anywhere from an hour to 4 hours

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I know with the Animas 2020 you can set the delivery speed to a slower rate and that can ease the sting. We did that as Lia complained at first. It definitely helps though occasionally you still have a site that hurts more than others, particularly with a larger bolus.

Duh, never mind, I see you already have it set to slow.

7. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

It may just be the new sensation of the bolus that she is describing as "hurting". If that makes sense. J occasionally complains of it hurting, but its often a new site and resolves. But, if it hurts on next bolus its a "bad" spot.

8. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Animas pumps deliver insulin fairly fast (even on the slow setting). If changing the infusion site location doesn't work, perhaps you could try giving meal boluses as a 30 minute extended bolus?

9. LJM

LJM Approved members

The fast setting on the Ping hurt DS too. Try the slow setting--we have had fewer issues with that setting. Some sites just are felt more than others---he hates the tush sites and loves lower back/low handle area.

10. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

How do you change the speed setting?

--Sara

11. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

its in advanced options ...i forget exactly which screen and dd is not here for me to look but scroll through them and you should see it ...and if you try the extended bolus its called a combo bolus on the ping

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Maybe it is the rate of delivery or maybe it's the insulin being cold. Does this happen all the time, or just after a site change?

13. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Is it the insulin that is being used? I noticed that when I switched Deacon from Novolog to Humalog he started complaining that the boluses started to hurt.

--Sara

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The two insulins have different PH's so the other one may work better.

That said, my dd always feels the bolus is the site is on her tummy, and sometimes on her arms, but nearly never on her bottom. She has complaines more that she CAN feel it but not that it acually hurt.

You can combo boulus for .1HRs which I think is 7 minutes, that should lessen the initial displeasure but not totally work against any Preblous efforts.

15. LJM

LJM Approved members

For Ping it is in the setup, advanced screen 2. You can set delivery as NRML (1U for every second) or SLOW, which is 1U for every 4 seconds). I think the manual even says that users may experience a slight stinging on normal so they should change to slow if they feel this.

16. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

Insulin is kept at room temp and delivery is set to slow. I thought maybe it was just a site change thing because the insulin is probably cooler than after it's been in the pump for a few hours. I turned the vibrate off since I think part of it may be mental, at times she puts her hand on the site and says ow, other times she puts her hand on a random body part and says ow. If that doesn't solve the problem I'll change sites and if that doesn't solve the problem I'll try the extended delivery :cwds: Thanks all for the feedback, she's only been at this for about a week now :)

ETA: She just told me I forgot her insulin for dinner, I think it was a mental thing since I did NOT forget, the pump just didn't vibrate! 4yr olds... can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

Last edited: May 24, 2010