- advertisement -

CA Supreme Court slated to rule today . . .

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Aug 12, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

They ruled that other trained personnel can administer shots. I wonder how long it takes to go into affect? article

3. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I hope it takes effect before school starts on Monday!!!! Probably a pipe dream, but then I won't have to worry about no one being their to administer insulin for the after school care program from 4pm until I pick him up by 6pm!

4. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Finally! We are way past the age of needing this but I know that it will be helpful to many people :)

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So happy with the ruling. I hope schools in CA get up to speed as quickly as possible. :cwds:

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Lol. I told my husband that now that this passed he can accept any job transfers to CA now!

Seriously, this is monumental for CA CWD's.

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

The thing is this was written into the California educational policy years ago, but the nurses union objected, brought suit and halted it until it played out in the courts. School districts were afraid to go forward while it was being contested. While the union can still bring another suit, this is pretty definitive, so schools can - and should - go forward.
    Which means that since it is already federal law that insists on accommodation, it is valid right away! Before school starts the schools have to provide a way for a cwd to be safe at school even without a nurse.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Though I did just now read this, "Both Mallory and Pam Whipple, coordinator of health services for Sacramento City Unified School District, said they hoped their districts' policies on insulin shots would remain unchanged, with only nurses allowed to give them."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/13/5645499/california-supreme-court-oks-insulin.html#storylink=cpy

:(

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I get the nurses are protecting jobs and honest I really think there should be a nurse at every school. They do a lot of things for the students health that fall through the cracks without them.

But most schools don't have the budget for that. And the situations where nurses are covering 4 or 5 different schools it's really unfair for both the nurse and the kids to try and have to schedule shots. What happens on say Valentines day when all the schools have parties?

We are in California and my daughters High School has a health tech. She is clear that she is not an RN. Since I'm assuming that by high school most of the kids are self managing this doesn't seem to be a problem, or it hasn't been for us. Middle school had an RN. Elementary (she wasn't diagnosed then) had someone a few days a week I think. I'd guess if there were a child that needed someone to give them shots in High School it could be worked out as the Middle School with the RN is literally across the parking lot.

10. mamattorney

I think the key is that this is now the School District's problem. If they want only nurses giving injections, then they must staff the schools with nurses to accomplish that. They can't make the parents come to school anymore - which is fantastic.

My child's school district has a policy of only the nurse giving insulin shots, too. It is entirely a district created burden and so I view it as a district problem. The official policy as reported to me is that the health aide can supervise administration of insulin via pump, but the nurse needs to be there for injections.

Two schools share the same nurse (but each has its own health aide) and luckily, last year, my child was the only child on MDI, so the nurse was always at her school around lunchtime - the health aide took care of the kids at the other school. But if a child at the other school was also MDI, then the school would need to figure something out - borrow a nurse from another school for 20 minutes would be my guess, but it circles back to being the school's issue, not the parent's. I'd have been fine with the health aide supervising/administering the shots. So if there had been complications with them trying to push my child into a lunch period different than her classmates for example) to accommodate lunch insulin shots, I would have put my foot down and told them that their policy should not burden my child.

11. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I am a nurse (not a school nurse) and a parent of T1. I got my little "American Nurse" publication that had this topic in it. I went to their website to post about it and there was nothing there. I have a feeling they got SLAMMED. I understand they want the children to be safe and they are supposed to be trained to recognize the s/s of lows, which are obviously dangerous.

What I find ironic, is that the nurses that I have come in contact with, my 9 year old knows more about it. It will be interesting to see how this goes: States BON vs Federal law.

In my son's school. we are lucky to have a nurse 1 1/2 hays a week. thank goodness she is great.

12. mamattorney

They did. I read the full opinion and the court gave NO credence to any of their arguments. It was not a close call at all.

13. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

14. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Loved the part where the authoring justice notes that in reality, most D-care happens outside hospitals/clinical settings and that it's lay persons - NOT licensed nurses - who are dosing and giving insulin.

Equally interesting to me was how the court wrote that the nurses don't have a prob with school staff checking BGs and DOSING insulin, but it's the whole sticking a needle into a kid that's the dangerous part requiring nursing skill.

15. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

It's about time. When my son was dx at the age of 9, because his father and I worked full time and were unable to go up to the school daily, he was basically forced to give his own shots. If they had one nurse per school this wouldn't even be such an issue, but the fact is that CA is hurting so badly, which means the schools struggle financially (and have for years!) that in his district there was maybe 1 nurse per 7 or 8 schools. We had an awesome health clerk at the time (mind you, she had no formal training, but I would have let her give him a shot in a heartbeat) but it wasn't allowed. I just remember thinking at the time, wow - you would rather my 9 yr old do it than a trained adult?

He is now starting HS and has been pumping for years, so this isn't affecting us anymore, but I'm happy for all of the newly diagnosed kids to follow :)