- advertisement -

Buying insulin in Canada?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lilituc, Oct 28, 2013.

1. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

So I find myself in the position of possibly having to pay out of pocket for insulin next year when Express Scripts will no longer pay for Novolog. It looks like the online pharmacies won't sell insulin, so I suppose I would have to go in person.

How much is a vial of Novorapid in BC?

I see a lot of conflicting reports about crackdowns on Americans buying medications in BC. It seems to mostly be centered on prescription drugs, though. Has anyone had any experience with this and were they hassled at the border?

2. dianas

dianas Approved members

I don't know anything about buying insulin in Canada.

But I did want to say that I really haven't noticed any big differences in my blood sugars with Humalog, Novolog, and Apidra, in either my Animas nor my Minimed pumps. The Apidra did give me a rash though. Have you had problems with Humalog in the past? Is there a reason you don't want to try it before paying cash for the Novolog? You could always ask your endo for a sample vial to try.

If you had a previous adverse reaction to the Humalog then that would be a medical reason to get an override for the Novolog.

3. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

I don't think it's a matter of getting an override. They are telling me it's not covered, period. I have a thread about the new exclusion list here if you would like to bring up your concerns there.

4. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

Heard back from a friend in Vic who said a vial is currently $33 (!). Canadian.

Would still appreciate any responses to the other questions, though.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

You just walk into a pharmacy here, and buy your insulin. No big deal.

6. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

That's not the part I'm worried about. ;)

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

8. Joretta

Joretta Approved members