- advertisement -

Buying Infusion Sets...Not mail order?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sszyszkiewicz, Feb 2, 2016.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Ok long story short. My DS has problems with his sets. They barely last 48 hours. The current one just failed after just 24 hours. So we have been going through the sets faster than expected. We need to get a hold of some sets to hold us over to the next shipment. The distributor will not send us a new pile of sets until our renewal date according to my wife. We had the endo write the next script so that we can get enough sets assuming a 36 hour useful life.

In the mean time, I need to get a hold of some sets. The useless medical supply company is going to send us....one. When my wife asked if we could buy a box out of pocket they apparently said no (I will call them back tomorrow and ask why).

Anyway, I am guessing I need another script, and when I get one I was wondering is there a place we can go to buy these sets without having to go mail order?

I am not looking for donations here. I am just super annoyed at this just in time inventory management mentality the supplier seems to be enforcing. I would rather just have a box of 10 around in a pinch, and i would rather just go somewhere and buy them without having to wait for anything to come in the mail.

is that possible? I live in NJ.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

What kind of failure are you seeing? We started to have problems with humor of about 3 years in. Brand new sites would work really well but then quickly either get "clogged" once removed the canola was visible milky gunck. Or the insulin would tunnel back around the outside .I was trying to get samples of different sites to see what would work better but a CDE, mentioned that Humalog and Nov log have different pH levels and sometimes stop working for a person. So I got a sample vial of Nov olog and it was a 360. Same exact sites were lasting 3+ days. We had to rework basal and bolus because Nov log worked quicker and had a shorter duration.

In the mean while I would contact your endo and pump rep and see if there are samples that you can get your hands on. Also with your new r you should be able to order right away because it is new.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

There are no local suppliers near us but when we started trying new sets I just gave the CDE a heads up beforehand. I called the supplier & told them it was a cash order, gave them the endo's name/number & they did the rest. We were on autoship with our regular supplier & I didn't want our shipments messed up.