- advertisement -

Bush Gardens VA

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jace's Mommy, May 11, 2010.

1. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

We just booked our vaca to Bush Gardens in Williamsburg VA.
    This will be our first big trip since dx and I'm a little scared.
    We will be driving from Jersey( about a 5 hour drive )
    Just looking for any pointers on travel in general and or Bush Gardens !

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Busch Gardens is great. wish it was closer to my house but oh well.

you will have a blast. the park is so clean, everyone is great(staff)
    when you get in park go to guest relations after you do the ticket thing, its on right.
    your son can get a disability pass. its a bracelet. and he can get to front of line. you and I think up to like 6 people in party.

you just go up to the exit of each ride and the attendant will get you on next ride.
    they will treat you like royalty. you'll have a blast.
    the park has lots of trees/shaded/landscaped well. its very nice.

pm me if you have any questions. the roller coasters are great there.

3. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

We're about to take our first little weekend trip since diagnosis as well.

I'm curious to hear what everyone has to say.

4. fredntan2

my DH made me go out to Busch Gardens that first weekend after dx.
    I didn't want to go. wanted to hide under covers.

but we went. had a great time. got the disability pass, etc they were so nice to us there. I will never forget.
    they don't list the carb counts there or they didn't last time I was there a few years ago.
    but just try to do the best you can with carb counts/don't freat over it too much.

trying to remember the roller coasters there. they have some big ones. think the big bad wolf might be ok for 8yr old but not sure. I loved it.

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Busch Gardens is lots of fun. And Williamsburg is great in general. As far as travelling goes, I'm guessing you are driving. Just try to test frequently....may go high from inactivity or excitement. If you can get out and run around some at rest areas, that may help (and thanks to the gd governor, the VA rest areas are reopened....but schools may be closing down). When you pack, pack at least 2x as many supplies as you think you will need plus batteries for the meter and extra meter. We do have pharmacies down here but you don't want to spend too much time at the store! (we did that in Jackson Hole WY!) But just in case, figure out what pharmacies/groceries are close to your hotel and bring extra prescriptions if you can get them from the endo (just in case).

Good restaurants....2nd Street Cafe (or something like that), Paul's Deli, and many many breakfast places!

6. Jace's Mommy

Thanks, I'm already starting to feel better! I'm so excited I'm just hoping all goes well so Jace can have a good time!

7. Jace's Mommy

One more question! What does everyone use to keep insulin cold at places like this? and where do you keep it? In a locker or with staff?

8. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

My advice is to pack tons of extra supplies...lots more than you'll ever think you'll use...just in case. Bring extra insulin too. When we go to amusement parks my son wears a fanny pack with his supplies in it. My husband and I also take an extra meter in our fanny pack (just in case my son's meter gets too hot and doesn't work) and we all carry extra glucose tablets.
    Have fun!!!

9. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

I would keep it with you...you can get small Frio packs that'll keep it cool. You can buy them online.

10. eveinthesky

eveinthesky Approved members

Oh yeah I live less than an hour away! I wanted to go with my little girl, but I was scared that it would be stressful and she wouldn't enjoy herself. Is it toddler friendly? My daughter is almost four but is very tiny.

11. fredntan2

I'mnot sure if its toddler friendly. my kids were like 9 when we started going.but I think they have rides for the little ones

but beware of fridges in hotels. they have been know to freeze insulin. not sure what tohers do. but you could bring alittle fridge thermometer.

then most parks have a first aid station that you can keep extra supplies in, we never used it at busch gardens

12. madde

madde Approved members

I usually carry gummy's or fruit roll-ups in my pants pockets when at amusement parks just in case she needs an extra snack quickly.

Ooh, and remember to take your glucagon with you!

Most of all, Have a lot of fun and enjoy yourself.:)

13. bgallini

I think it's probably very toddler friendly if you stick with the kiddy rides and such. There's a lot to do there. Check out their website. But it's kind of expensive (just in general, not necessarily compared to other similar places) so it might be good to just wait until she's a bit older if you want to save money. (4 yos can still have a blast at a free playground.)

14. eveinthesky

eveinthesky Approved members

I get a free pass because I'm in the military and so is my bf. This might turn out to be a long awaited good weekend :)

15. bgallini

If it's free...definitely GO!!!! It will be fun!:D