- advertisement -

Bummed: pump approved but no RX from endo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Mar 28, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am so bummed right now, we have gotten insurance approval for the Tandem t:slim insulin pump, BUT, her endo office will not Rx because they have not seen it/ been trained on it.

I totally understand a Dr. not wanting to put thier name on something that they have not used, but really, it is a pediactric FDA approved insulin pump.

Tandem does not have enough reps right now to get to her endo office in the near future. Growing pains/poor roll out I am not sure.

What totally bugs me is that I make all of the adjustments to her pump setting, and regime as a whole. we only go to the endo for a finger stick A1C, growth info and Rx's. They give us gental suggestions sometimes but otherwise they are gleaming that her A1C has become more consistant between seasons and leveled out right around 7.0

I am in contact with tandem and trying to convince the endo office. I do not want to leave the endo just because of this but what would you do?

2. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I would call them and tell them you want an rx or you're leaving. You decided on that pump, and if you need a different endo for it, then so be it. Tell them you looked at the different kinds, and that's what you want to go with.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Call and tell them that you are aware that they cannot support the TSlim yet, but you will work with the company for the info that you need. Worst case scenario, call your Pedi for an RX.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Why do they have to be trained on a piece of equipment that you will be using?

Tell them that it's FDA approved, that it fits your child's needs and that you are wiling to train online, via rep and will be the first, but not the last in the practice to request it. Just insist.

5. shannong

shannong Approved members

Will the people at Tandem direct you to a doctor that will write the prescription? It sounds like that is all you need and then you can decide later if you want to stay with your endo or not.

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'm pretty sure our Endo has no idea how to even turn our Omnipod PDM on. Don't pumps pretty much work the same? Meaning the only things the Endo would be doing anyway would be changing basal, ratios etc. If you have operational questions you usually call the pump company directly anyway.

It seems reasonable that they want to know how to work a new pump but I don't see why that would hold up giving you a prescription. They're not going to be doing any of the day to day operational stuff anyway.

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You call and say this:
    We spoke the last time we were there regarding my daughter wanting the tslim pump. I know you are not familiar with the pump, but having done my research, we've decided that this is the pump we want.
    They say: Well we can't write a script for that b/c we aren't comfortable with it.
    You say: Yes I understand that, however, since we are the ones using it and we will be well trained in doing so, the final decision should be ours. I'd hate to switch endos over this, but I have to do what I feel is best for my daughter, even if that means leaving your practice, so I'm asking you to reconsider.

If they say no, then I would leave. I wonder if they would reject a new patient who was on the tslim or would they write scripts for supplies anyway.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

my only problem is that there is no other ped endo in town. closest is hours away in California.

I am looking into what kind of training Tandem gives and have been intouch with Intergrated diabetes and they support the Tandem.

Once I have more info on those 2 fronts I am going to go back to the endo to have a disscussion about it, because it truly now is just rubbing me the wrong way.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

The Integrated Diabetes approach is good. I would hope between T Slim and Integrated D that the Endo would sign on. Good luck. Ali

10. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Love the T:slim! Ask to be trained via facetime or web camera. It really is an easy pump to start. Are we friends on FB? I can't remember off hand. If so...I can add you to the Tandem FB group also. They are great in helping others when in need.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You might be interested in reading this blog before pursuing T-slim since you also use Apidra. http://sarahkaye.me/Apart from that, someone will always be the first with new products at an endo; why not you?

12. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We were the first ones to request the pod at our endos office as well and would have left if they had denied it. It too was very new at the time and they were reluctant but gave it tous when we insisted.