- advertisement -

Bulking up our skinny kid - chocolate protein powder

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by saxmaniac, May 26, 2011.

1. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Alex was about 40 pounds when diagnosed over 3 years ago, and hasn't put much weight on since then, despite getting a lot taller. "Skinny" jeans fall off him. The kid's a beanpole, but what concerns me more is his lack of strength. It seems that no matter what we fed him, with the diabetes, he couldn't put on weight. This also makes site placement difficult.

Last year I started weightlifting and changing my eating habits, so I bought some whey protein powder for myself. Since it had a positive benefit for me (I was looking to lose weight, not gain, but it's related), I wondered if it would work for Alex, too. I bought a bag of chocolate powder for him: EAS Chocolate powder at BJs, about $30 for an enormous bag.

It was a hit! Turns out, he really likes these faux "shakes" when blended up with milk. One serving, mixed with milk, is 25g protein and 16g carbs (13g from the milk itself). It's much lower in carbs than regular chocolate milk, which is about 45g when store-bought. This is an easy, fast way to introduce lean protein to any meal that might be too carb-heavy.

While you're at it, it's easy to add in fiber powder. This will thicken up the drink slightly, and slow down carb digestion even more.

It worked... he just had his last appointment and has finally gotten to 65 pounds.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Hmmm.. . . weird to say, but my mom just had surgery that removed part of her stomach and she can't gain weight no matter how much she eats. I'm going to recommend it to her.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm drinking my protein shake right now as I type this! I started using the protein powder too about 6 months ago for exercise reasons. My youngest son is a gymnast and they have long practices so I started making him shakes, too. It's a hit here as well! He doesn't want to eat a big meal before practice, so he has a shake, then a small dinner (at 9pm) when he gets home at night. We're not using it for weight gain, just for nutritional reasons on gymnastics nights. Chocolate is the favorite. For me I use vanilla powder with water, frozen banana and strawberries and a handful of spinach (that you can't taste).

4. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Congratulations!

I think protein powder is an excellent way to get good high quality protein into kids who need it. Many proteins, like meat or eggs, come with a lot of fat or arachidonic acid. But whey protein powder (combined with vitamin C) helps the body produce glutathione which is related to all sorts of healthy benefits. For children I would only caution the use of too much soy protein.

When my kids were younger they thought that chocolate protein powder was chocolate milk - that helped us reduce a lot of sugar in their diet. Since then they have wised up a bit.:D

5. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

We've aLways used carnation breakfast starts before bed as a weight gainer. Sometimes Boost shakes. I don't know anything about protein shakes. Are they safe for kids? Can they give too much protein? Just questions because I really don't know and I'm interested since my kid is a skinny Beanpole too.
    PS. how old is your son Alex? My son is 11 and 5 ft and has weighed between 70-75 lbs for the last 3 yrs and won't go up.

6. LJM

LJM Approved members

I have not found a protein powder my kids will drink. I don't think we have BJ's here but I could look for that brand online. Maybe I will try again: I need some protein options besides meat, cheese, eggs, and nuts. Thanks for the tip.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad you've found something that is working!

quick question, has he had celiac testing done?

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

One caveat, make sure it contains Whey and or Casein rather than Soy. There has been some concern about the estrogenic effects of soy protein on men. While soy is probably a healthy option in women, it may not be in men. For example, there appears to be a link between soy and dementia in elderly Asian men. Some men who eat a lot of soy have developed gynecomastia. Some manufacturers that used to promise 100% whey protein have switched to a proprietary blend that contains soy to reduce cost.

9. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

10. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

Also, be careful about soy if they have hypothyroidism. The soy can disrupt the synthroid pill if taken too close together....

11. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Alex is 8 years old.

Funny that you mention Boost. My oldest broke his jaw, and was on a liquid diet for a while, so we looked at Boost and things like that. My opinion is those things are junk, and expensive junk at that. Most of them just had way too many carbs and sugar, were no better than chocolate milk. After looking around I found a Boost that had protein, but it still cost too much, and had too many carbs.

Right, I forgot to mention that. Soy is not for boys.

This is what I use - http://www.amazon.com/100-Whey-Protein-EAS-Resealable-Chocolate/dp/B003UPOK58

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  12. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Yea Alex! We are big protein shake people, too.

13. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

My DS7 is a gymnast as well. He can't stand the shakes though :( nothing working to get him to gain a bit, lol

Maybe we'll see you at those olympics in a few years ;)

14. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

My DD12 was a gymnast (completed L9 last year before switching to dance). We would do a lot of protein shakes/snack bars for the sport. Our pediatrician said we should always have DD drink a lot when taking excess protein because the excess protein would be "backed up"....this was one of the things that made us miss early dx. She was drinking an excessive amount to combat the backed up protein.

15. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Ahhh, another gym mom!

We do "doctor" up his shakes a lot. A little milk, 1/2 to 3/4 scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1/2 frozen banana, and a small scoop of chocolate ice cream.... his shakes are WAY better than mine!

16. skimom

skimom Approved members

Another good protein source for kids who aren't crazy about protein shakes are some of the Kashi brand cereals . Go Lean and Go Lean Crunch have 9-13 g protein per serving and are quite reasonable on the carbs. THey taste great too.

17. etringali

etringali Approved members

Alex is negative for Celiac.

18. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thats good that he's been tested.. The weight issue was our biggest clue to celiac, although everyone missed it.. I always thought it was because of D.. a year after celiac was dx she was growing like a weed and hasn't stop.. All that time I thought it was diabetes but it was celiac causing the problem.

19. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

I am having trouble understanding how one product can be used for both weight loss and weight gain.

20. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I was just at the health food store and bought some of this and asked that very question. People truly to lose use this as a meal replacement whereas weight gainers use it as extra drinks and often add it to smoothies for extra calories.