- advertisement -

Broken fingers...increased insulin needs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzy731, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Anyone have experience with fractures and the effect on BG's? And I don't mean the stress immediately following I am speaking of several days later and insulin needs have increased dramatically. Bethany fell and sustained a buckle fx to all 4 of her fingers. Wearing a splint/cast for a month. Ugh!

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son severely sprained his wrist and was in a soft cast/sling for a month. His insulin needs skyrocketed, but I think it was because he wasn't able to be as active.

3. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I broke my collarbone a few months ago. And while going into shock FELT like my bg was low, i never saw any noticeable change in my insulin needs

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

When my son broke his foot, he did not have an increase in insulin needs (it didn't slow him down much - just from the organized sports ), BUT when he has a concussion and didn't do anything, but lay in a dark room, his basal rate went up 50%.

5. Lizzy731

She has of course been less active but Basals should not be dependent on activity. I lower them when she goes swimming. But there has been a definite spike in needs. Just more crap to worry about. :(

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, we find that activity strongly affects basals. You set basal for your child's "normal" activity level, and if they are more or less axtive than that, you will need to adjust accordingly.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son had a tibia fracture in February and he struggled with highs for a very long time during the healing phase. No idea if it was pain, decreased activity, or some phase of healing that changed his overall metabolic something or other, but he used insulin like water and his A1C was higher than ever before that next visit.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally agree.

9. Lizzy731

Yes this seems to be exactly what's happening to Bethany!

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We always see an insulin increase with a fracture. Partly, due to inactivity and partly from the pain and the stress placed on the body to heal.

11. Lizzy731

Thanks for all the responses. It helps to know people have experienced the same thing. It couldn't have come at a worse time between no pool and the fact that we leave for England in a few weeks. It will be wonderful adjusting her Basals due to the time change and the fact she's healing 4 broken bones.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Activity def. affects basals! All the time! And Coco has had her fair share of breaks and fractures. And each of those have required an increase in basals. But honestly, who cares if it was from pain, decreased activity, meds, stress, etc. All that matters is you increase insulin when needed to cover those highs!

13. Lizzy731

We all know that diabetes affects everyone differently. The truth of the matter is that all kids have active days and not so active days. What I am saying is that the basals I have set under normal circumstances doesn't need to be changed from day to day. If she has a day or 2 or even 3 with little activity, normally her insulin needs do not increase. They only need to be lowered when she is more active. This increase in insulin is more from the stress on the body to heal the fracture I believe. Again....everyone is different. I apologize if what I said before came off as basals shouldn't change with little activity. Maybe for other children it does...not usually with Bethany is this the case.

14. dvane

dvane Approved members

Ethan broke both bones in his arm about 4 weeks ago. There was a point where his basals were increased 250% and many extra corrections given during the first 2 weeks after break. Now that his body is growing new bone his sugars have leveled off.

15. Lizzy731

Thanks this seems to be the case with us as well

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

William got a bad sunburn once when he was around 3 years old (we all did - I think our suntan lotion failed - we are so unused to sunburns).

His insulin needs went up 50% while that healed. It wouldn't surprise me that having the stress on the body makes insulin needs go up - like an illness.

I hope the fingers heal quickly!