- advertisement -

Broken arm and bloodsugars

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dvane, Jun 30, 2012.

1. dvane

dvane Approved members

Ethan fell off his scooter on Wednesday night and broke both his radius and ulna in his left arm. I have not been able to get control of his numbers since. I can pull him into the 200's but shortly after we are back to mid-high 300's. I have changed his set twice. Any suggestions would be greatly appretiated.:confused:

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

ahhh poor kid :( I hope it heals quickly but I have no ideas to help ... Is he on pain relief?

3. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Sounds like you need to up his basals a fair bit for now... I would guess pain, stress, less activity are all contributing...

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

A1C after my son's broken leg wasn't pretty, I'll be honest. We did aggressive temp basals and that helped quite a bit, but it was a tough few months. For my son it was a combo of surgery/pain/stress combined with lack of activity, but he was non weight bearing on his leg for quite a while, hopefully your little one will be able to stay active as it is his arm.

It does sound like basals need to be raised, I'd experiment with some temp basals for now and see how things go.

edited to add that you do need to watch certain meds and cgm, your signature does not indicate type, but tylenols mess up Dexcom readings, so we had to avoid things that had tylenol in it, which includes most of the common prescription pain meds.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would try correcting with a syringe to make sure it isn't a pump issue. I would also try a new bottle of insulin to rule out cooked insulin.

Then, I would be aggressive with temp basals and test often. You might also call your endo to see what they suggest.

6. dvane

dvane Approved members

Thanks for suggestions. Tonight we switched to old pump to see if the new one was not working properly due to impact. New insulin and set. Upped basals and waiting for progress. Emailed endo and will not hear back from them till sometime tomorrow. Thankfully endo is right next door to orthopedic. We will be there tomorrow to get his cast put on. We may just pop in and say hello.