- advertisement -

Bret Micheals

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Nov 2, 2010.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

Anyone watch Bret Micheals, "Life as we know it" Watched a recording of his show, and it began with Him and his daughter who is "Pre-Diabetic"" went to the nearest Childrens Hospital, bringing some gifts , and there were 3 family's there at that time who were in there just diagnosed. And he had the i believe the american diabetes foundation have some special thing going on there too. Pretty neat. But i dont understand the "Pre Diabetic thing? Do you??

2. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I've also been confused by the pre-diabetic thing. I've thought that for type 1 diabetes you either are or you are not.

3. madde

madde Approved members

He did go on to say that his daughter at her last two appointments showed sugar in her urine. And that they are watching her diet closer, but have not started on any medicine at this point.

I think it is just his way of saying she hasn't been "officially diagnosed." I'm sure he is also hopeful and wishing that this turns out to be nothing. This is his child and subcontiously he's wishing for the best.

4. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

When I hear "pre-diabetes" I think of it as there is still activity in the pancreas, but that there will be a time where it completely shuts down. I don't know if that's right or not, but I can imagine all our kids at one point were like that, we just didn't know it. At least she's being monitored closely.

I also hear it in regards to Type 2, so I'm not sure which way it goes for Bret's daughter.

5. tiger7lady

But if her BS is high enough for sugar to spill into the urine wouldn't she be at the point where she needs insulin (or medication if she's type 2)? I'm just so confused.

6. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

This is exactly what I thought! I am also as confused :confused:

7. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We were there that night that Bret visited Phoenix Childrens. In fact, you can see me in one segment. Check out my thread. http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=57489

Anyway, I don't know about the pre-diabetic thing either, unless her pancreas is still putting out enough insulin that she doesn't need any additional, but she still has higher than normal BG. Bret said they were controlling with diet.

8. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Pre diabetic thing...

I understand it all too well...

Before my son was "officially" diagnosed as being diabetic, he had "glucose intolerance" pretty much meaning Pre Diabetic.

From August 1, 2009 until December 26, 2009 my son's blood sugars never ran above 200... Once they peaked over 200, he was "officially" diagnosed as a diabetic and ended up hospitalized for 4 days for treatment and education.

My sister is Type 1 and the nieces and nephews wanted to be tested, and this was after a pasta and bread dinner! While the other 6 tested normal, vince was much higher - - about 160. We went to the ped to get him checked and he his finger prick was normal, no glucose in his urine, etc. Then 3 months later at his well check, i asked for them to check him again. His BG was 175 and glucose in his urine. Next day we were doing tests at labs, next day we were at the ped endo. They inserted CGM for 3 days, and after those results, it was decided they could not yet put him on insulin. We changed docs for various reasons, road blocks when calling, etc.

Anyhow, the next ped endo did the oral glucose test, he came back at 150, she could not yet diagnose him as a "diabetic" ... hence glucose intolerant - pre diabetic. We thought we could stop this monster from attacking our son, ha, little did we know... we tried exercise, eating right, etc., and here we are, the rest is history. 12/26 over 200 - 337 was our highest reading that day. He thought it was from eating christmas cookie dough...i will never ever forget how we felt that day:(

So, I do understand the whole pre-diabetic thing...they must be testing her, she is running higher than a "normal" person, and hence the diagnosis... ugh.

:(

9. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

didn't he mention this sometime during celebrity apprentice too? I think it just means it's a crazy honeymoon. I've read about a kid who didn't need insulin at all or for a long time on this list http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/kids/d_02_100.htm can't find it now of course.

10. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I was speaking to a Doctor who specializes in JD.

I mentioned this to him, and he said that all it means is that she must be in a very strong honeymoon.

11. VinceysMom

Based on my personal experience, I totally agree that is probably what it is.

12. tiger7lady

Ah, so eventually she will need to be put on insulin. From the way he talks about it it sounds like he is hoping it doesn't ever turn into type 1 but it seems like eventually it will happen though.

13. VinceysMom

When we saw that, and heard him say that, I said to my husband, "ha, he sounds like us." :( Sadly, I think it is inevitable.

14. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I actually watched some of this show and this episode for the first time ever. ( I was watching '16 and Pregnant' beforehand, I admit it :eek: I watch 'Teen Mom' too :eek: ) Im not really a fan although I did listen to him years ago. While watching, I started to cry. I got as far as him saying goodbye to his youngest before going on tour again, saw him wiping his eyes as he got in the limo. I couldnt watch anymore. But I will say that I thought him going to the hospital was great. He's obviously done it before since they seemed friendly and comfortable w/ him. He's bringing awareness and thats a good thing. Maybe he hasnt taken care of things the way he should all his life, but he seems to be doing it now. He's made mistakes - who hasnt, right? But I definately commend him for doing what hes doing now. What is that saying? " I may not be who I should be but thank God Im not who I used to be" or something like that.

**Did that make sense? Sorry. On a bunch of new meds and they didnt kick in for hrs after I took them so I didnt get much sleep - again - and have a slight headache **

15. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

I can't help but think (and of course this is just an opinion) that this sounds very much like MODY. Mainly because of the fact that it is a very slow onset and there is Type 1 in the family. More doctors are saying now that there may be more MODY out there than suspected before. It will be an interesting story to watch how it unfolds.

16. SueM

SueM Banned

Interesting. If I were to guess, I imagine his daughter was showing/is showing all the first signs of type 1 diabetes (higher than "normal" blood sugar levels, thirst, etc.) but perhaps the "high" numbers have been intermingled with "normal" numbers without the use of insulin. I often wonder if this happens more than we know. For example, I imagine that Bret and his girlfriend knew to test his daughter when she showed these signs. The majority of parents whose child had these symptoms wouldn't know to do this - or wouldn't have the tools to do this... It probably happens all the time. So, I get the 'pre-diabetic' idea (assuming that my thought is correct in what may be happening). So, there is "something" going on (because of erratic blood sugar numbers...), but no type 1 diagnosis. Makes sense to me.

As an example, my son (non-D) has shown higher than normal blood sugar levels on occasion. :( I even brought him in once to have an A1C done. It came back normal but I do wonder about him.... sigh. I never in a million years would have known to check his blood sugar and/or would have asked for an A1C to be done had I not already had a daughter diagnosed with type 1 D. I can only hope for the best.... Interesting that Bret mentioned that they were "controlling" with diet. Others may take offense to that... I don't. I think considering his daughter's situation, it would make sense to watch her diet very closely.