- advertisement -

Breakthrough--the book

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Katie'sMom, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

I just finished reading this book that tells the story of the discovery of insulin with the story of the daughter of the Secretary of State, Elizabeth Hughes with the story of the research behind the study of insulin.

I was so struck by the treatment before insulin...basically controlled starvation. Elizabeth Hughes lived this way for almost 3 years before she was one of the early patients treated with insulin.

Another really interesting thing to me was that it took only 1 year from the time Banting began his research on dogs until Insulin was avalibale for humans...probably wouldn't happen today.

One other thing that amazaed me is that after she began recovering Elizabetn Hughes took great pains to hide the fact that she had diabetes.

Anyway, the overriding emotion I felt was thank God for insulin and that t1 is no longer a death sentence. But we still need a cure!