- advertisement -

Breakfast idea swap

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Oct 10, 2014.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I found some good suggestions of breakfast ideas by searching but would love to get some more ideas.

Here's what works great for us:

Pre-bolus by 30 minutes
    1 scrambled egg
    1 whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter (22g excluding PB which I don't usually count in small amounts)
    6 oz. low-fat milk (8g)
    30g total

But my son is sick of eating this!

What works for your kids? Particularly I'm interested in cold breakfast cereals that are somewhat kid friendly - does not need to be super sweet but please don't suggest Fiber One bran flakes. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

We vary, but these are usuals. We keep breakfast SUPER low carb, as she spikes like a maniac after breakfast. So, these are "paleo" recipes. I don't subscribe necessarily, we just do low carb at breakfast!!

This recipe, which is virtually no carbs. If i want a few carbs, I'll add 1/4 of oats to it as well. I make it like x4 or x8, and keep in an air tight container. Then just add boiling water, or nuke in the microwave as you would quick oats
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/02/recipe-paleo-porridge.html

This "granola" with greek yogurt. Again almost no carbs, just the yogurt carbs
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/03/recipe-paleo-granola.html

:) Good luck

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. CJA

CJA New Member

Honestly we have struggled with spikes in the morning after breakfast, so like some others we now do not eat a huge amount of carbs for breakfast anymore. My son really likes Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich. He eats one every morning and makes it himself. Just heats up in the microwave. 26 carbs. Then he will follow up with a high grain piece of bread with Jif peanut butter chocolate flavor, another 26 carbs. Spikes are getting better, hanging around 250 range. then he eats majority of carbs at school lunch when his numbers are usually awesome.

4. GChick

GChick Approved members

For cereal: You might want to try Kix. Not super sweet, but not "old people cereal-branny" either. And if my whole "cereal dust" theory has any credence, because they are whole "balls", there should be less flake/sugar dust to worry about (however I'd still dose for slightly more than the carbs listed... but that's just me). Also I find almond milk to be slightly less "spikey" than cows milk, but YMMV. (note: I haven't had Kix in a very long time, so I don't really know if its any better)

Beyond that, while I would have never eaten what I'm about to suggest as a kid, I will eat it on occasion now... and kids are more adventurous these days than I was, so:

Some Cottage Cheese with a spoonful of his favorite jam/jelly (or even honey) dotted in and a couple slices of avocado sprinkled with salt. Fair amount of protein with some carbs along with some "good" fat.

You may need to add in a lil more "real" fruit to make it more filling/appetizing. Berries would probably be the best choice, but as far as personal preferences go, I'd often rather some watermelon or cantaloupe.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Also... with your current breakfast plan, sometimes something as simple as changing the way the egg is cooked can help a bit with the monotony (boiled, fried, poached etc) but I'm sure you've either tried that or he may not be "into" those other methods.... and changing the cooking method can only help for so long.

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

KIX!!! He had them this morning with eggs and sausage, peaked at 165. Thanks for the tip GChick! He was so psyched to have cereal for breakfast.

Will try the oatmeal KHS22, thanks for the links!

Someone also posted this recipe to facebook and they are a big hit.

Low-carb gluten-free breakfast muffins

.5 cup whole milk plain yogurt (7g CHO)
    .25 cup natural peanut butter (10g CHO)
    .33 cup sugar (67g CHO)
    1 egg
    2 mashed bananas (38g CHO)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1.25 cup almond meal (10g CHO)
    .75 tsp baking powder
    .25 tsp baking soda
    .25 tsp salt
    36g mini chocolate chips (24g CHO)

Makes 12
    13g CHO per muffin (7 + 10 + 67 + 38 + 10 + 24 = 156, 156/12 = 13)

1. Beat yogurt, nut butter and sugar with electric mixer until well combined
    2. Add egg and beat well
    3. Add banana and vanilla and mix until combined
    4. In second bowl combine dry ingredients
    5. Add banana mixture and beat on low just until combined
    6. Divide into 12 lined or greased muffin cups
    7. Sprinkle on chocolate chips
    8. Bake at 375 for 18-22 min

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Bumping my own breakfast idea thread to say we found another breakfast item that does not seem to be too spiky: crumpets! Not sure why they don't behave like other breads, but we peaked at 194 having forgotten to prebolus, so I imagine with careful planning we could probably keep it under 180, which is our goal for breakfast. 44 carbs for 2.

7. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

Not really low carb, but my DD (13) HATES to eat breakfast before school (she's out the door by 7 and can't stomach eating much that early). I make her a "chocolate monkey" most mornings: 1/2 c. Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana (frozen and skinned) 1/2c. milk 1 Tablespoon of cocoa. Puree in a blender. Makes a great smoothie and she gulps it down.

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter has switched to non-breakfast foods most days and it works pretty well. Cereal as an after-school snack is so much easier to cover than as a breakfast, and we're more of a pancakes for dinner family because mornings are a mad rush. So, she'll do sandwiches (bread, meat, cheese, mayo, whatever), leftovers, rice, crackers with pepperoni and cheese, etc. She also does fruit a lot - today's breakfast was apple slices with peanut butter.

My son's absolute favorite breakfast is cereal so not much to offer there. Adding yogurt as a side really helps, though. I encourage limiting the cereal to three servings and balancing out the rest with yogurt, fruit, a protein shake or something similar. *Before you judge, he's 13. Eating a box of cereal isn't outside the realm of possible so three is a good compromise ;) If we don't have cereal on hand, he makes grilled cheese sandwiches.

9. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

I really don't understand why kids get bored of eating the same brekfast! I have been eating the same breakfast for years and it doesn't bother me. With my son we find something that he likes and by the time I become comfortable with preparing it and bolusing for it he doesn't like it!!

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Wowza, made these blueberry muffins this morning with coconut flour and Swerve (erythritol) - two are 7 carbs. Plus three breakfast sausage. What a gorgeous trace this morning! http://the-lowcarb-diet.com/low-carb-blueberry-muffins/

Capture.PNG

Editing to add that we do NOT eat low carb... he eats normally throughout the day but the mornings are hardest for him because he's growing like a weed. So we try to make breakfast lowish carb.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  11. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

Cocoa puffs and 1 cup of milk. If there's going to be a spike....might as well enjoy. Spikes the same whether it's cocoa puffs, Rice Krispies, Cheerios etc. She also enjoys whole wheat muffins, Greek yogurt, eggo waffle with sugar free syrup and a dollop of whip cream, and most recently a fried egg (yes!). She mostly likes cereal and milk. The pre bolus is key for from 5-30 minutes depending on BG.

12. dpr

dpr Approved members

My daughter is a cereal junkie for breakfast, but she does like toast. My zero rise toast has a tablespoon of olive oil spread on it before going in the toaster and a bit of butter when it come out. She loves it. At dinner she likes it with a very light sprinkle of garlic salt for her own garlic bread. If they're not having much carb with the meal other than this and are already in range pre bolus about half your normal time at first, it absorbs really slow. It also works well with other high carb foods to slow the whole meal down a bit.