- advertisement -

Breakfast help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwimum, Jun 26, 2009.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We are having problems with cereal (surprise surprise!)

Tyler wakes with a decent bg. He has breakfast at approx 6.45am then heads off to school for the day.

He is having lows at 11am (morning snack time). We have changed the basal for morning tea and also bought the time of the basal change forward. (he is on 1 u basal from 4.30am until 11am. At 11am it went to 0.7, now 0.65 at 10.30.) Some of the lows have been quite significant - 1.1 (20) the other day. 2.4 (43) another time, but usually between 3 and 4 ( 54 to 72) We also changed the carb ratio from 1:12 at 11am to 1:15 at 10.30am.

We have tried different cereals. Sometimes he has weetabix, sometimes rice crispies. Yesterday he had yoghurt and dried fruit but went low before school started.

He has a 20min walk from the bus stop to school (20 mins in mum speed, probably considerably longer at Tyler speed!).
    We have tried snacking while walking.

Do you think he could be spiking without us realising then crashing?

What do we do? Is this a 'normal' response to cereal? (we had no problems with cereal while he was on NPH, so this is something new for us)

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If we were seeing lows at approximately 4 hours after a meal, the first thing I would do would be to back off on the I:C ratio for that meal. So if he was at 1:15, try 1:18, perhaps.

If you think it's basal, I'd reduce basal 2 hours before the low, so around 9:00 a.m. I wouldn't change both I:C and basal at the same time, though.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

When we had cereal, we would have a huge spike followed by a huge low. The speed of the cereal and the speed of the insulin just couldn't get matched up.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Is Tyler having some protein and fat with breakfast? I know some cereals will cause Steven to spike such as rice krispies, they are high on the glycemic index. If you could find a whole grain cereal and serve that with some milk, we use 2 percent here and maybe some peanut butter crackers it may help.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Totally nutsy idea, but you guys have colder weather down there now, right? I have found Ian's AM basal needs in colder weather less than in warmer temps. Why? I have no idea. Could that be it in your case, and not the cereal.

6. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

After I had posted I did think of the weather as being a factor. Tyler does run lower in the cold, which seems to go against every other kid with D! And we are in the middle of winter here and this year has been the coldest I can remember in a long long time. Maybe it isn't the cereal as such.:confused:

He always has milk with his breakfast. The carb ratio and the basal changes happened about a week apart. If I change his breakfast carb ratio, then he will be on the same ratio throughout the day. I thought that it was meant to be different for the breakfast? Or is this another case of YDMV?:confused:

He has an endo appt coming up. I think we might have a good chat to them and see what they suggest.

7. Scotty's Mum

Scotty's Mum Approved members

Hi Debs, looks like you are having some fun times at the moment!! Totally simple, but have you actually done a basal test for this time of day? We were having similar issues as you. Following a basal test we have now got a basal rate from 4am-7.30am which is almost half of all of the others, but it has eliminated the issues we were having around the same time of day as you are.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think it's a YDMV thing. Jack's ratios are all 1:15 or 1:16, but I know a lot of kids need more insulin at breakfast than at other times of the day. Jack needs the same amount, but a longer prebolus (30 minutes for breakfast, 10-15 minutes for other meals).

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just a clarification: in my pp, I meant the usual AM resistance is higher for Ian in warmer temps, and lower in colder temps. Only the AM after awakening.
    If I remember correctly, right before winter, he was needing more basal, then bam his needs went down, then bam again after winter, his needs went up.
    Confused? :eek:

ETA - I'm wondering about if we need to burn up more energy to keep ourselves warmer during colder temps somehow affects insulin sensitivity for some people.