advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

breakfast for 2 1/2 year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kasia875, Jan 30, 2007.

1. kasia875

kasia875 Banned

does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast food, my son was just diagnosed and he will not eat breakfast

2. Haley'sMom

Haley'sMom Approved members

Some waffles with a little bit of butter and some lite syrup has been a favorite in our house for years. Each waffle is about 15c and 1/2 of a 1/4 c of lite syrup is 15c. Haley also drinks milk with them for another 15c.

3. georgia

georgia Approved members

my 3 year olds eat waffles, pancakes, french toast, my little boy loves oatmeal, my daughter loves sausage and eggs. I usually offer say french toast, sausage and rasins or applesauce. I use the sugar free syrup, 12 c in 1/4 cup.
    scrambled eggs or omletts with meat and veggies, yogurt, cheerios, etc....
    good luck, offer a variety for a while maybe she'll pick something she likes.

4. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I am sorry about your sons diagnosis.
    What about muffins with cream cheese, or peanut butter? Grapes? Pigs in a blanket? small pineapple slices? Toast with cinimon, and sugar? toaster waffles? Apple sauce? Cereal? eggs, with or without cheese? hash browns? Really he should be able to eat what he wants or skip breakfast unless you are on NPH with a meal plan.

Take care, Jamie

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Someone had a great tip for counting the carbs for a small child if you are carb counting. If you give them something like a piece of toast that is worth 15 carbs, cut it up into 15 pieces so it would be a carb a piece that way you can subtract what ends up on the floor, track, etc.... Other than that, let him eat what he ate before! We only slightly modified Hailey's diet to lower some of the higher carb items.

So sorry you had to join us here but welcome to a great group of parents!

6. A&Ds Mommy

A&Ds Mommy Approved members

7. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Waffles are big in our house too. When Griffin was first diagnosed we gave him an eggo waffle (14g carb) with fresh strawberries (5g carb/ cup) and whipped cream (1-2g) and 4oz of milk (7g). That would put us pretty darn close to the 30g that our plan called for. If he was still hungry we would offer eggs or sausage (0-1g). If he wouldn't finish, we would offer a portion of banana (~30g for a whole banana) to come up to 30g.

Kirsten

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

A favorite at our house is waffles with whipped cream and either berries or bannana. The waffles are only about 15g per and the canned whipped cream is <1g. Given with a glass of milk or bacon and the protien balances this breakfast out nicely.

Jelly and butter sandwiches or raisin bread and butter are popular also, or yogurt with some granola (just a tiny bit).

What kind of regimine is your child on? Can you give him a little snack at wake up and then breakfast a little later? I know dealing with a 2.5yr olds eating habits are hard enough, but add in the D and you just want to pull your hair out!
    Best of luck!

Welcome to the club, sorry that we are still accepting new members.

9. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

Hello- I am so sorry about your little ones dx, my son is also 2 1/2 and we just hit the 1 year mark since his dx. His favorite breakfasts are cereal with milk and toaster strudel and he always loves eggs. When Zeb was first dx'ed I sort of gave up on normal meals for a while, I just feed him whatever he wanted within reason. Some things that work for us when he just doesn't want to eat: Drinkable yogurts (the small Danimals are 15g carbs) a small cup of milk with some graham crackers or vanilla wafers (he loves to dunk) Yo'Baby yogurts , and Zeb will eat P,B, + J anytime day or night.

We all know how hard the first few weeks can be and the total information overload so ask whatever comes to mind because someone here will likely be able to help.

Good luck - Robyn

10. MikeG

MikeG Approved members

I hear you. We have struck luck with oatmeal and a backup at any meal is Yogurt or Danone. You can get some pretty high carb yogurt, 17 carbs in small individual packs.

11. Mad Maz & Ecstatic Emma

Mad Maz & Ecstatic Emma Approved members

over in england my friend eats weetabix however not to sure you can get them sorry however brown bread toasted with lite jam can be a good option

emma and maz:)

12. Emmasmommy

Emmasmommy Approved members

My Emma is just over 2 and for breakfast she loves yogurt, waffles (just one and regular syurp our endocrin told us not to use any "fake sugars because they are to little and we dont know what this does to children under 12) she olso LOVES cheese string or grate cheese for a 0 we also do toast, frut (which I still have a hard time carb counting for she seems to react diffrent each time she has it) We give emma all the breakfast foods you would a "normal" 2 year old We were told not to modify things to much becasue they are so young they need the carbs for growth and devlopment.

Good luck

13. hartpukas

hartpukas Approved members

Kashi makes a great cereal, Heart to Heart, we like the honey toasted hearts and o's - carb count is 25g (not including the 5g fiber) for 3/4 cup. It makes for a fun, yummy and nice lasting carb breakfast. :)

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Forgot about Kashi! They also make a great cereal called "Mighty Bites" shaped like people, fairly low carb/sugar count. Might be fun for a little one because of their shapes.:)

15. bogusrogus

bogusrogus Approved members

Welcome to the board:cwds:
    Haley likes waffles without syrup and yogurt, sometimes egg w/waffles, or pancakes. If she is really hungry than she eats waffles and Lucky Charms(but her version is to eat just the marshmallows:p ),so I have to adjust for that breakfast. A lot of it is trial and error, Haley was only 16months at dxd, so we were still finding new things to eat, but now her taste change all the time.
    Good Luck and hang in there.

16. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Caleb is not a big breakfast eater either. He eats typical lunch food for breakfast almost every morning. Deli meat, cheese, crackers, milk, peanut butter, grilled cheese, fruit, etc. This has worked for us and it's easy enough to figure the carbs based on how many crackers, pieces of bread, or whatever else he might have eaten. Good luck!

17. Gunther

Gunther Approved members

Old fashion oatmeal

Like others here we have a lot of luck with oatmeal. We use the old fashion Quaker oats that take 5-minutes on the stove-top as opposed to the "quick" 1-minute oats from Quaker to keep the post-meal spikes in BG down. Weighing these out and doctoring them is a daily ritual: 40g dry oats is one serving, which nets out to ~185g when cooked and has 27 carbs. We then add 8g brown sugar, a little butter and a lot of cinnamon (cinnamon is also supposed to help in BG control) for a total bolus amount of 35g. He loves it and it seems to absorb in sync with the onset of the insulin bolus.