- advertisement -

Bread

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Paula+four, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

We are very new to celiac - just four days into this. Does anyone have a favorite bread product or a good recipe? Everything we've taste tested has received a thumbs down. My son is not a picky eater so I had hoped this would be easier. Thank you for your help!

Paula

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

This is our current favorite bread. I do cut back about half on the brown sugar and molasses.
    http://glutenfreemommy.com/baking-gluten-free-bread-millet-oatmeal-bread/

I love this web-site. Her recipes are very simple, andI've only had one flop.
    http://glutenfreebakingandmore.com/freerecipes.html

If you crock-pot, this one is a keeper also.
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

I hate making multiple dishes, so our meals are usually gf. The only exceptions we make are hamburger and hot dog buns, just because the gf ones are so expensive. Schar makes a great hamburger roll, but they cost about $7 for 4 - ouch! I haven't accomplished home-made onbes yet, but I've got to start working on that!:D

3. jcanolson

4. aklap

aklap Approved members

It's been 6 years that I've been GF. I still remember that first bite of EnerG Rice Loaf bread. It was like styrofoam. One bite, the entire 5.00 loaf went into the trash. I thought I was doomed... ;)

For mixes I like:

Manna From Anna - This is probably the best mix. IMHO. It's pricey, but you get a big loaf.

Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix. We used to use this a lot. It holds up OK. It's best when heated in the wave a bit before eating...or toasted.

From Scratch I like:

Best Buns - This is pretty much my go-to bun. I have these in the freezer at all times for quick access. When I want a bun, I just pop it in the wave a bit to soften it up, or if I'm grilling, I'll put it on my grill to get a bit of a toast on it. Buns tend to hold up better than bread in my experience. I believe this is because there's crust on top and bottom - unlike bread where there's only a small amount of crust. The crust gives it some structure and strength. Putting GF bread in the microwave is the key to soften it up just a bit.

Bread Wrap - aka Flat Bread - This is my other go-to bread. It's easy to make [or so Peg tells me ;)] and it's very versatile. It's flexible enough to go around brats/hot dogs, works great for sandwiches. Again - it has a crust on the top and bottom which gives it structure, but it's flexible too.

Yogurt and Honey Quickbread. It's a great white bread sub. Others have commented on it's good performance at room temp. I freeze mine, so I generally don't think ahead and have to wave it. Allows for lots of experimentation with flavors.

Lorka's Flax Bread. This is another that Peg makes a lot for me. Very good. Can be a bit dry.

Quinoa Buns. This is a another favorite of mine! I prefer buns [plus they bake easier than a loaf of bread does]. I'm not sure how a kids palette would like this.

Overall I prefer the from scratch breads. They're a much better product.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  5. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We LOVE Sami's Bakery Millet and Flax bread. They are online, but we get ours locally. They are out of Tampa. They aren't "dedicated lines" but I have never heard of anyone having a problem. We also use there hotdog and hamburger buns.

6. aklap

aklap Approved members

Sami's did have issues in 2007/2008. I have not seen any recent info, but it'd be worth checking into.

A Post dated 1/30/08 on Celiac ListServ:

Here's the support groups webpage that did the testing: http://www.tccsg.com/stores.htm

7. WestinsMom

Thanks for the heads up. I still will be using it, but good for everyone to know. It is the only bread that we think is fairly edible, and we have tried a ton!

8. aklap

aklap Approved members

Good luck with that. I don't think I could eat it - not without having it tested again. 20 parts per million is one thing - but 5000 ppm?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  9. aklap

aklap Approved members

I asked a few of my friends if they've heard anything on Sami's lately. Here's what I got just today...

Are you sure you still want keep eating this bread?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  10. jcanolson

Thanks for passing this on Al. We don't use Sami's, but I have seen it and heard it tastes good.

I'm really interested to try that flat bread recipe. As always, thanks for sharing Peg's recipe secrets!

11. WestinsMom

Gosh, that is disturbing. We don't use it on a daily basis, but...ugh! Sami's gets a lot of business from the gf community. It is a shame they won't committ to gf. Maybe if enough people knew those findings they would be forced to switch their production. I have searched for a simular recipe! Anyone got one?

12. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

Alyssa is six and I think it has been easier for her to adjust to new foods than it would be if she had be 16. She has been eating EnerG Tapioca Bread. I remember the first time I tasted it, I just wanted to cry because she said it was good and I knew it wasn't. Lately we have been using Whole Foods Sandwich Bread. I have been toasting it on top of the stove and I can say it is delicious.
    Angie

13. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We ordered flour from www.julesglutenfree.com and have made the bread recipe with it. It is our favorite so far, but it is expensive. We are saving $ on going out thought..so maybe it will balance out. I haven't got all the kinks out... loaves are still flatter than i would like...but i think part of it is the oven temperature & maybe I need to cook it longer? trial & error!! Even if it comes out flat it tastes good & that is the most important thing to me. The EnerG bread we tried tasted like a dried out kitchen sponge. awful!!

kim
    mom to Danielle,age 10, type 1 dxd at age 3, celiac 6/09

14. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We just tried the Gluten-free Pantry sandwich bread mix last night (in our new Breadman bread machine!) and, I have to say, it was delicious!

I had one piece toasted and one piece untoasted this morning for breakfast and it was actually really yummy and reminded me of the homemade breads I made when I was a teenager and into such things.
    Eileen

15. aklap

aklap Approved members

Sami's Breads have had more testing. This time Gluten-Free Watchdog [Tricia Thompson, RD] has done the testing.

In order to see the results of the test, you must be a paid subscriber*.

As I've said in the past - if you are GF, stay away from products coming from this bakery.

One of the GF products tested was Sami's Bakery GF Almond Biscotti.

Other gluten-free by ingredient items, but not labeled GF were tested and came in with astounding amounts of gluten. Note - there is a disclaimer on those products about containing traces of gluten.

Due to grave nature, Tricia said she will post about this on her GlutenFreeDietitian website - so keep an eye out, it's not there as of this posting.

*Note: I have no financial connection to Gluten-free watchdog, nor profit from mentioning this service. I am a subscriber because I value Tricia's knowledge and services.

16. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

T really loved Udi's bread and buns. Canyon Bakehouse (I think this is the name) is another favorite. While I have made some GF bread, for me it is not worth the effort. But that is me...good luck!