- advertisement -

Brand New Pumper!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jessicas mom, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jessicas mom

Jessicas mom Approved members

Hi All,

Although my little girl was diagnosed almost four years ago I have never came here and posted. I guess I am feeling a little stressed tonight because she was put on the Ping today. This afternoon seems to have gone fine although we did have a bg of 325 between lunch and dinner. We just checked her again and she is now 107.

For anyone that has a child pumping can I expect to see more stable blood sugars than I did when we were using Novalog and Lantus??

Any helpful hints anyone can provide?? I feel almost exactly as I did when she was first diagnosed.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

we're not using a ping, so I'm no help there, but I just wanted to say "Congrats and enjoy!"

3. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Hello welcome to the world of pumping. My son was diagnosed at 21 months and we started pumping before he was 2 (with the ping which I love) We weren't on MDI for that long but I find pumping much easier. Snacks around the clock. lol where as I found MDI he wasn't asking for snacks because he knew a shot came along with it. It is like being diagnosed all over again and I was so overwhelmed in the beginning but it gets easier and you will always find help on CWD.

4. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

It takes a little while to settle in to the new normal....again. For us it is much better for her. Easier to eat and take insulin. Her BS is not more stable per say, but much easier to manage. We can see how much Insulin is working, can decrease basal, can increase basal.. There were a lot of advantages for us.

Hang in there..it will be worth it.

5. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Welcome to the world of pumping...my little one recently began pumping too after being on MDI for 2 and a half years..(dx at 13 mos old)....In the beginning it does take a lot of adjusting and the basals will be increased and probably the ICR too..these were changing frequently for us when we first began pumping...I did a LOT of correcting at first too..it is much better now..it takes some time though..(at least for us it did)...we are only a few months into this but each day it gets easier, you learn a lot more!! I would not go back to MDI ..I wish we would of started this sooner! :) Good luck!!!

6. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

Just like everyone else said, it will take some time to adjust to it and get your basals where they need to be. For us, it was soooo worth it though. For our daughter to be able to eat whenever without having to choose between a snack with a shot or no snack/no shot was life-changing. Hang in there and give it some time. Anything new takes some adjustment in the beginning. I would say maybe just test a little more frequently at first to get those basals correct and give yourself a little extra piece of mind. Congrats and good luck!

7. sunnydays

sunnydays Approved members

Kobe started pinging last week. I was very frustrated for the first couple of days because his numbers were all over the place. We've been adjusting basal settings and I:C ratios so his numbers are improving daily. Overall it has been great. Kobe is thrilled that he doesn't have to get shots anymore, so that alone has made it worth it for us.

8. Toni

Toni Banned

Our endo put her on one flat basal when she began pumping and it was less per hour than she got through Lantus. We knew she would be high but endo felt this was safer. We then did the basal testing as instructed and faxed in numbers so endo team could adjust the settings. I believe highs are normal for this reason.

9. Jessicas mom

Jessicas mom Approved members

Thanks for your supporting words!

I appreciate all the support from everyone! This little world can get awful lonely and hard for those not in it to understand.

My daughter has been doing pretty well. She did manage to catch a bug just two days after she was hooked up! The first night she was between 80-89 the entire night. I thought it was too good to be true and I was right. As soon as she got sick her numbers were all over the place. We were checking blood sugars every 3 hours around the clock until just a couple nights ago. I had to call in her numbers every morning and just about cringed when I read them off but the hospital acted like they expected it. We have made two adjustments this week with the latest and biggest one this evening. I will be forever grateful to Children's Hospital in Cincinnati for the wonderful support they have provided. I don't think there is a thing they could do that could use any improvement. They are always available and willing to help.

I was told to think about joining a blog for even more support and so happy I did. It is nice to talk to people that can relate to what I am going through!

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

HI and welcome to the board.. In the beginning pumping is a little wacky.. when you get all the settings right it'll be much easier, then things will go wacky again, until the settings are adjusted again. :) Kaylee's been pumping for 3.5 years but I still remember the rough beginning we had.. If things get rough, don't get discouraged.. it'll get better, I promise:)