advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Braces in a week - what to feed? lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

DD is getting braces in a week - I am sure the first few days will be fun! Stocking up on soup yogurt and ice cream - wondering what else will be good. Also she prefers to have skittles to treat lows - that will not work with braces! I do plan on getting glucoshots for the first few weeks but those and glucose tabs are not her fav. Any ideas?

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

My older son (who doesn't have diabetes) got braces in the spring. His mouth was the most sore initially but after that the adjustments are only bothersome for a day or so.

William really likes the Quick Sticks (http://quicksticks.com) and we found them at walmart. It is like a pixie stick but the wrapper is tough and so far no problems carrying in his pocket or using them (they aren't fiddly like pixie sticks).

For the older kid we bought a water flosser - that really helps get in between the teeth without dealing with threading floss: http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-WP-1...&qid=1352826510&sr=8-1&keywords=water+flosser

You might find that really soft gummy candy that isn't as sticky will be ok. Skittles might actually work - you just have to be careful.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Try fruit leather for mild lows, glucose gels for tougher ones. Both are easy to carry.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Smoothies are your bestest friend! You can pack them with all kinds of stuff, from quick sugars (juice) to slower to digest things like oats and flax mixed with milk and PB (just grind it up before adding liquids).

I've even been known to hide spinach in a smoothie, just be sure to add blueberries to cover the green!

Try pixie sticks (or the new quicksticks things) for lows for now, or of course juices.

5. mamamccoy87

:D will have to try the spinach and see if anyone notices!! I'm sure orthodontist would be thrilled with the sugar content of this post!:D

6. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

My son had braces before diagnosis and at the time he thought it was such a PITA, mostly because initially he was supposed to wear a night guard he hated. But in terms of the soreness after having them put on, it only lasted one night- tylenol helped. Since then he never complains after regular ortho appts when they adjust.
    He is notorious for breaking his braces- and we cant figure out why. He doesn't like sticky sweets anyway. We use smarties, glucose tabs, pixie sticks or occasionally juice. Maybe those would be ok with your daughter.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

No promises but FWIW my kids had soreness but it never impacted thier ability to eat, even right after the appt.:p:pali But the smoothies, pop, juice are good ideas.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We also bought a waterpik which helped with the soreness at first when used with warm water. After that initial soreness he went back to using glucose tablets no problem for him. The glucose tabs will start to dissolve if you wait a few seconds before chewing.

At home he would drink juice for lows.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'd say this was true in our home as well, we had complaints but didn't really alter eating. I did, however, stop at the frozen yogurt shop on the way home!

10. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

We had four kids get braces on one day. Three were in agony for a few days, one didn't flinch. Gregory used smarties for lows.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

He had problems when got the braces on - it was agony for him for 3-4 days - but his teeth were quite crooked. He usually isn't a complainer for pain either. He definitely could barely eat - even soft bread bothered him!

12. mamamccoy87

WOW:eek: Cant imagine - hope you got a quantity discount - or have an orthodontist in the family!