- advertisement -

Bounce House question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Apr 9, 2014.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Do you typically disconnect your child's pump when they are doing the bounce house thing? I'm thinking we should probably but I want to see what others do. Its for a birthday party so i think they will be bouncing for about an hour and a half and then it will be pizza and cake.
    Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I wouldn't disconnect to protect the pump, but I would either way under-bolus for food or disconnect to try and prevent lows. In my experience bounce house time is second only to sledding when it comes to tanking blood sugar.

ETA if the food is after the bounce time then you may have to carb up before playtime and then gamble on under-bolusing or watching closely for lows in the hours after

3. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I agree with Sarah. We tend to see Isaac's BG go down fast in bouncy houses, so if before the party starts he's in the 100's we give a few glucose tabs and remove the pump. Half way through (or earlier if he says he's low) we check - if he's higher than he was before the first time we reconnect, if he's same or lower we leave the pump off and give more glucose tabs. Also, we check out the food in the party room a few minutes before the kiddos go in there so we can see if he's going to need something before - if there isn't much we give him a granola bar as he's getting his shoes back on knowing that he'll need those carbs.
    Have fun :)

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I disconnect DD's pump because I need to do a 0% basal anyways, so why not give her a little freedom :) Even with that, we still need to do a few tabs throughout the party.

5. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

We disconnect, give an uncovered snack like goldfish or granola bar before starting, and then have her sip a juice box throughout the time she's in the bounce room and she is still often a little low by the time pizza and cake is served.

If you don't have a CGM, I would keep a close eye on her and check blood sugar often. She will almost definitely drop low from all the activity.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we disconnect the pump, aim for a higher number and try not have IOB going in.

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

At the last bounce house birthday party a couple months ago the kids finished the bounce room and went to the party room for cake and ice cream. I looked over the cake and ice cream and got ready to bolus her when I realized the tubing coming out of the pump reservoir was sheared off right at the reservoir. It was a real "Oh ____" moment. She tested and was fine so we just did a quick site change. So if you've got a really active kid you might want to consider taking the pump off.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We never disconnect the pump, except for swimming.

I carb him up for bounce houses, and let him sip on juice as needed.

9. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

My 4-yr-old daughter is tubeless, but we had a similar situation with the Omnipod. She spent 10 minutes in a bounce house at a friend's party, and then her bgs started spiking on the cgm an hour or two later. The pod didn't alarm, but assuming the worst, I went ahead and changed the pod based on the huge spike that the cgm showed. I discovered a kinked cannula, which I assume was caused by her falling on the pod. I think we'll skip the bouncers for a while, at least till she's a little older/more coordinated.

10. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I typcially don't disconnect for bounce house. I did that my first time in to a bounce house after we got our pump and my son actually went really high because of all the adreneline. I found that to be true with football also. I thought disconnecting him would be best because of all the activity, but he actually went high - people on this site thought a lot of it would be adrenaline.

I would leave it on - check your child before jumping and maybe halfway through. Drfinitely always have glucose tabs or fast acting sugar if needed.

11. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks everyone for the tips! I wasn't even thinking about all the bouncing causing her to go low. Will definitely be on alert for that!!

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, I assumed you were asking because of concerns about lows! Seeing as how my son has worn his pump through multiple seasons of basketball, baseball, football (flag AND tackle) and countless bounce houses without incident, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Tuck the tubing into her waistband and send her in, as far as I'm concerned.